PDA

View Full Version : Red Deer river float results

camshaft
08-01-2008, 08:02 PM
Well we finally made it out today and floated from the Dickson dam to the hwy 54 bridge. Total float time was approx 7.5 hours in the inflatable, and that included appox 1.5 hours fishing two back bays for pike and walleye and time spent having lunch.

For having never floated this river before, it was probably my best time fishing a float....period. Sure the lower bow is great fishing, but I didnt think we would have caught as many fish as we actually did, and the sheer variety.

We landed a total of 26 fish. All of our browns were in the first 1/2 of the float with the largest being 4.8lbs and close to 2 feet. We caught a bunch of whitefish probably averaging 2lbs. Pike and walleye were caught in the back bays, largest walleye I think was just under 3 lbs. And to my surprise a nice goldeye at least a pound and a half was caught.

Tough river to navigate due to the large amount of fallen timber everywhere, and not a lot of real deep runs. Lost a few more lures that I would have liked, but well worth the trip. Water clarity is about 4-5 feet.

Anyone thinking of floating this river and hasnt.....do yourself a favour, it was a blast.
Was thinking of floating from the hwy54 bridge to the Penhold bridge in the future. Anyone have experience with that stretch?

BigRackLover
08-01-2008, 08:15 PM
That was my goal this summer to float the red deer river. Hopefully the Sept long weekend. Were you fly fishing at all or just spin equipment?

Thanks for sharin' your results, gets me pumped about going.

camshaft
08-01-2008, 08:23 PM
Guess I forgot to mention that. All spinning gear.

Chironomid
08-01-2008, 09:09 PM
Right on. Haven't fished upstream of the city yet this season, it's all been either in or below Red Deer.

fluxcore
08-01-2008, 09:21 PM
We should get some people together and make a weekend trip, hit the river at the dam on friday night fish(float) for around 4 hours than make camp. Up early and put in and fish(float) for the day than make camp and tell stories. We should make Red Deer mid after noon sunday say the BMX track a great place to pull out right in the middle of town and lots of parking. The trip would be extreamly laid back we would drift slow and with my GPS have plenty of time to decide exactly when we arrive in Red Deer. If anyones interested le me know.

Chironomid
08-01-2008, 09:22 PM
I have a 'toon, I think you emailed me about floating a while back, I'm in.

fluxcore
08-01-2008, 09:40 PM
I have a 'toon, I think you emailed me about floating a while back, I'm in.

Thats right, I have a toon as well I think a trip like this would be great Id even shuttle people back to their trucks/cars

Chironomid
08-01-2008, 09:41 PM
PM Me let's set something up.

fluxcore
08-01-2008, 09:54 PM
sounds great, anyone else interested give me a PM, Ill do my best to make sure its a comfortable trip. You wont be left stranded Ill make sure you get back to your vehicles. Also I know the river like the back of my hand so be ready for some big browns Ive been lucky enough to catch the same fish year after year and their Big!!! One of my favorite browns has a scare along its tail, for some reason I find it in the same hole every year, Ive watched it grow up:lol: Its always there!!!

Chironomid
08-01-2008, 09:57 PM
sounds great, anyone else interested give me a PM, Ill do my best to make sure its a comfortable trip. You wont be left stranded Ill make sure you get back to your vehicles. Also I know the river like the back of my hand so be ready for some big browns Ive been lucky enough to catch the same fish year after year and their Big!!! One of my favorite browns has a scare along its tail, for some reason I find it in the same hole every year, Ive watched it grow up:lol: Its always there!!!

Sweet deal, I'm lookin for a big brown.

2430M
08-02-2008, 08:12 AM
Thanks for the update!!! We are just planning our Content to Drumheller canoe trip :D. Can't wait!!!!!!

Chironomid
08-02-2008, 01:06 PM
Thanks for the update!!! We are just planning our Content to Drumheller canoe trip :D. Can't wait!!!!!!

Let me know how that goes I want to do that float. I hear theres some big pike and HUGE WALLEYE in that stretch.

stusilver
08-12-2008, 11:19 AM
I've floated a couple of times from Penhold to Ft Normandeau in a canoe. First trip caught 50 fish between the two boats 5 species, was about an 8hr float with lots of fising, second trip caught 17 fish between us couple of pike ,couple of walleye and rest goldeye trip was 5 hours this time (just the wife and I).
There are a couple of real deep spots in that stretch and some real champ fish. We were catching on Mepps scyclops blue and silver and on len thiompson blue and silver 00

2430M
08-13-2008, 02:58 PM
Let me know how that goes I want to do that float. I hear theres some big pike and HUGE WALLEYE in that stretch.

We didn't get to canoe :(. We did go camping and yes there is a big walleye bite on right now south of ....say Big Valley. If you happen to go this year let me know and I'll give you my email addy and I'll let you know where I hooked into some monsters (to me) this year and last :)

spudm48
08-16-2008, 08:35 PM
I will float ....not fish....the red deer in a couple of days....any suggestions for the best part for a first timer? I live in St. Albert and will make it part of my trip while driving to Calgary, so I am hoping for ideas on floats from 1 to 6 hours long most interested in scenery.

david

Chironomid
08-16-2008, 11:14 PM
Penhold Bridge to Hwy 2 Bridge.