PDA

View Full Version : Northern Ontario fishing

Wild&Free
06-03-2013, 08:33 AM
So, my best friend has never been east of Sask. I'm of the personal opinion if you haven't driven or seen the landscape from Lake of the Woods and past the north shore of Lake Superior you really haven't seen Canada. Of course I formed this opinion after having driven from NW BC to the Soo (non stop... ugh what a trip). So knowing that within a 10mil radius (according to my father) of many spots in N. Ontario you can catch Brook Trout, Rainbow Trout/GL steelhead, Lake Trout, Salmon, Sturgeon, Bass, Pike, Walleye, Musky, crappie and perch does anyone have suggestions of where to stay, rent boats, lodges, outfitters, and such.

I'm being lazy and not doing a google search right this moment, more looking for insight and personal experience with the area to give myself a better idea of what I'm looking for out of this trip. I read that post that was up about the Sutton river, and it's on my bucket list but a trip like that is something I'm not currently prepared for.

Gary K
06-03-2013, 02:05 PM
Head to sioux narrows and fish outa there.
I was passing through last summer and right under the bridge in town i caught many of bass, few walleye and pike, and even a small muskie.

There was lots of different boats passing through from all sorts of different charter outfits. And a few really cool cabins on the shore for rent.

My vote is rent a cabin and boat. and have at er.
If your more in to the all inclusive type thing i saw many of guides/charters for hire. No personal experience with them however.

Wild&Free
06-03-2013, 03:36 PM
Thanks Gary. I'm more of a DIY kind of fisherman. So the cabin and boat rental idea is kind of what I'm leaning towards.

Manning74
06-03-2013, 05:29 PM
Tomahawk resort sioux narrows, great place to stay and fish out of. Cabin and boat rentals are a bit on the pricey side tho. The fishing was amazing aswell as the scenary. If you stay there hit up blueberry bay for crappy and on the way back yellow girl for walleye . Pm me for gps coords

ESOXangler
06-03-2013, 06:54 PM
Look into Anderson lodge on lac suel too, monster muskies! And if your driving don't forget the Nipigon river system, I've caught a 6 pound brookie, followed by a 22 pound chinook all in 3 casts! I know the Nipigon real well so don't hesitate to pm if you're going that far!

BeeGuy
06-03-2013, 10:14 PM
Look into Anderson lodge on lac suel too, monster muskies! And if your driving don't forget the Nipigon river system, I've caught a 6 pound brookie, followed by a 22 pound chinook all in 3 casts! I know the Nipigon real well so don't hesitate to pm if you're going that far!

as a former Niprocker I have to +1 your suggestion.

fishing paradise

Wes_G
06-03-2013, 10:35 PM
Check out Indianhead Lodge in Sioux Narrows. Cabins are nice and they are great people. I am pretty sure you can either go guided or just rent a boat as well. I bass fished with Brian a couple years ago and had a pretty rediculious day!

Wild&Free
06-04-2013, 10:02 AM

I checked that lake out on Google Earth yesterday. Looks good, and river fishing is my favorite type of fishing, the sound and feel of the water rushing around your legs is so comforting, even in December when it's just above freezing. Though still keeping my options open. Any suggestions on time of year? I know buddy wants big musky and we'd both like to strike bass off our bucket list, I'm not into going to bucket brigade lakes in BC to do this personally. Rather catch em in their natural habitat. Which months do the chinooks and coho run? Are there sturgeon in the Nipigon?

lotw
06-04-2013, 12:43 PM
Sioux narrows is a great location, too many camps to name with some of the best freshwater fishing in the country. however not being familiar with a lake significantly larger than slave can make it difficult to find good numbers of fish. Also the fish move around out there so the best fishing can be 20+ miles from any of the lodges mentioned above. If you go there you will almost certainly need a guide for a couple days. If you are there for a week and only hire a guide for 1 day with a rental boat you are not getting his "A" game because in his mind you are a cheap bastard that wants to know his spots. make it 2 days or rent the camps charter it will be a different story. I know because i was one. There is also wilee point it is way out on the lake and the best fishing is can be close to the camp. If you want bass and Muskie, Sioux narrows is probably the best location in Northwestern Ontario.

Any where on Lac Suel is a great choice too. It is easier to catch fish without a guide. The walleye fishing is better than lake of the woods but the bass fishing I don't think has caught up yet i have only caught a few there but have not chased them. Pike and muskie are about the same. Depending on the time of year the fishing is better at opposite ends of the lake.

Eagle Lake in Vermilion Bay and Rainy are two lakes full of big fish too.

ESOXangler
06-04-2013, 06:19 PM
Chinook start moving pretty good middle of September. But you can catch anything in that river at anytime, she's a wild card spot for sure!!!! As for time of year it really depends, nothing like catching some smallies in a quiet bay on a sunny august day, all the while enjoying labatt crystal!

ESOXangler
06-04-2013, 06:20 PM
as a former Niprocker I have to +1 your suggestion.

fishing paradise

If there really is a god I bet that'd be where you'd mostly likely meet him!