PDA

View Full Version : Horse rentals Grand Cache

High_N_Wide
08-03-2008, 07:48 AM
Hello Everyone,

I was wondering if there is anyone in Grand Cache that will rent out a couple horses for 5 days. That or someone who will pack us in and then pick up in 5 days.

Or are there any other options for us. maybe Hinton or Edson and will bring them to the trail head?

Thanks for the help.

Trev

rickclee
08-03-2008, 08:39 AM
cHECK WITH UBAR IN GRANDE CACHE IM SURE THEY WILL.

High_N_Wide
08-03-2008, 01:46 PM
Thanks for the feedback Rickclee, I appreciate the help.

Trev

BrownBear416
08-03-2008, 06:21 PM
cHECK WITH UBAR IN GRANDE CACHE IM SURE THEY WILL.

Yep Ubar can look after you H and W,they have been doing it along time and have a great rep.

Dark Wing
08-04-2008, 08:48 AM
Ray the original owner of u-bar sold his outfit a few years back. A guy by the name of Russel Francis runs it now and I would imagine he'd book up fast for the fall. Detlaf Numeler (sp.?) is another local packer in the G.C. area that knows the Willmore very well.

Hilgy
08-04-2008, 09:53 AM
Anyone have any idea on $$$ to get packed in for a week or so.

Hilgy

BrownBear416
08-04-2008, 10:00 AM
Ask and you shall recieve :)

U Bar Trail Rides
Wilderness Drop Camps for Hikers, Backpacking and Hunters

We understand that many outdoor enthusiasts such as hikers, photographers, and backpackers prefer to experience the backcountry wilderness on their own, without the burden of packing in their own awkward gear. We offer an unguided drop camp service to a designation of your choice. Our horses can pack in your gear and you if you prefer to the most remote regions of the Willmore Park that may otherwise be difficult to access. It is up to you as to what gear you need to bring to make your experience an enjoyable one. You may then be able to explore the Park’s vast wilderness at your own leisure.

The same is available for the hunters as well who wish to partake in the vastness the Park has to offer for their hunting excursions.

Price List

Full Day Drop Camp, no meals or accommodations provided 300.00

(includes one saddle horse and one pack horse)

Overnight Drop Camp, no meals or accommodations provided 300.00

Additional Pack Horses 150.00

*A full day drop camp is considered to be 3 to 3 ½ hours of riding to any designated point. An overnight drop camp is 3 ½-5 hours of riding to any designated point. Price is for drop-off only. Pick –up costs are additional, at the same rate. Full day drops include but are not limited to Kvass Flats and Corral Creek. Typical overnight drop camps would include Hayden’s Ridge, Muddy Water, Sunset Creek and South Berland Camp. Customized trips can be arranged.

-Prices are per person per day
-Prices based on a minimum of two people
-Prices may vary for distances horses are hauled
-Weight limit is 100 pounds per packhorse

gunslinger
08-04-2008, 04:05 PM
Ask and you shall recieve :)

U Bar Trail Rides
Wilderness Drop Camps for Hikers, Backpacking and Hunters

We understand that many outdoor enthusiasts such as hikers, photographers, and backpackers prefer to experience the backcountry wilderness on their own, without the burden of packing in their own awkward gear. We offer an unguided drop camp service to a designation of your choice. Our horses can pack in your gear and you if you prefer to the most remote regions of the Willmore Park that may otherwise be difficult to access. It is up to you as to what gear you need to bring to make your experience an enjoyable one. You may then be able to explore the Park’s vast wilderness at your own leisure.

The same is available for the hunters as well who wish to partake in the vastness the Park has to offer for their hunting excursions.

Price List

Full Day Drop Camp, no meals or accommodations provided 300.00

(includes one saddle horse and one pack horse)

Overnight Drop Camp, no meals or accommodations provided 300.00

Additional Pack Horses 150.00

*A full day drop camp is considered to be 3 to 3 ½ hours of riding to any designated point. An overnight drop camp is 3 ½-5 hours of riding to any designated point. Price is for drop-off only. Pick –up costs are additional, at the same rate. Full day drops include but are not limited to Kvass Flats and Corral Creek. Typical overnight drop camps would include Hayden’s Ridge, Muddy Water, Sunset Creek and South Berland Camp. Customized trips can be arranged.

-Prices are per person per day
-Prices based on a minimum of two people
-Prices may vary for distances horses are hauled
-Weight limit is 100 pounds per packhorse

yup you are right there , i was on top of this way back in june, and when i called there was already 6 people going to where i wanted to go with them, the end price was going to be around 4 grand for the 4 of us, a dont forget that you will have to be right on cue when you want picked up also, they must have a ton of horses and a ton of guys to bring em in.

Hilgy
08-04-2008, 05:31 PM
Thanks for the info BB, it sounds like it could get pretty busy back there if they are trucking that many people in there.

Hilgy

Dark Wing
08-06-2008, 01:09 PM
there was already 6 people going to where i wanted to go with them.

So what is U-bars policy for dropping hunters off in the same area. I know I'd be ****ed if I paid $4000. on a drop off trip and then the packer dropped a group of hunters off in the same basin a day or 2 later. Was talking with the other packer in town and he wouldn't drop 2 different groups off in the same area.

gunslinger
08-06-2008, 08:25 PM
So what is U-bars policy for dropping hunters off in the same area. I know I'd be ****ed if I paid $4000. on a drop off trip and then the packer dropped a group of hunters off in the same basin a day or 2 later. Was talking with the other packer in town and he wouldn't drop 2 different groups off in the same area.

jees im not sure about any policy but from talking to them and how good of a operation these people run i dont imagine they would drop people off in the same basin , but i dont know , ive never used the services.

RockyMountainMusic
08-08-2008, 05:23 AM
well you also have to look at it this way if someone is paying $4000 to be dropped off somewhere it had better be where they want to be dropped off. russel is not an outfitter nor does he guide he just takes people in drops them off and picks them back up. now that being said he is a good guy and he will let people know if there are already people dropped off in a specific basin but in the end it is up to you where you want to be dropped off. A few off the popular spots in the park there are lots off hunters competing for few legal rams. It is all crown land.

gunslinger
08-08-2008, 07:31 AM
well you also have to look at it this way if someone is paying $4000 to be dropped off somewhere it had better be where they want to be dropped off. russel is not an outfitter nor does he guide he just takes people in drops them off and picks them back up. now that being said he is a good guy and he will let people know if there are already people dropped off in a specific basin but in the end it is up to you where you want to be dropped off. A few off the popular spots in the park there are lots off hunters competing for few legal rams. It is all crown land.

yeesssiirrry it is and no matter what fellas were all gonna be hunting for rams, so be safe and goodluck to everyone. god i hope i can stalk to within bow range.

Dark Wing
08-08-2008, 09:19 AM

Yah I guess your right. I know I asked Del if he could drop me off in an area one year and he refused cause he had a hunter in there. I gained a bit of respect for him for that. Good luck boys sheep seasons coming up fast.

Rocks
08-08-2008, 10:34 AM
Hey DW is Del still around? I haven't seen him on the trail for 5 or 6 years now, not sure if he gave it up or is still around. Wouldn't mind talking to him sometime.

Dark Wing
08-08-2008, 08:39 PM
Hey DW is Del still around? I haven't seen him on the trail for 5 or 6 years now, not sure if he gave it up or is still around. Wouldn't mind talking to him sometime.

I was talking to Sue last spring and she said they were out with elk hunters last fall and I know he takes a group of school teachers out for early sheep season.

RockyMountainMusic
08-10-2008, 06:38 PM
Yah I guess your right. I know I asked Del if he could drop me off in an area one year and he refused cause he had a hunter in there. I gained a bit of respect for him for that. Good luck boys sheep seasons coming up fast.

ya it is nice and i dont know why anyone would want to be in the same area as others already there but it does happen. I have changed my little "elk spots" a few times over the last couple years because more and more people are showing up where we usually hunt. I know it's crown land but some people are just ignorant. But thats ok there is lots of bush out there.

Rocks: ya del is still here i seen him not to long ago, i dont know if he is still taking people on the horses but i know he still has his horses.

bullwinkle
08-10-2008, 11:36 PM
Just a word of caution boys.U-bar is no longer owned and operated by Ray and Brenda Landry.It is now run by Russel Francis(bull pine contacting) and from what I understand he is still trying to figure out which end of the horse the hay goes into.

Dark Wing
08-11-2008, 05:11 AM
Just a word of caution boys.U-bar is no longer owned and operated by Ray and Brenda Landry.It is now run by Russel Francis(bull pine contacting) and from what I understand he is still trying to figure out which end of the horse the hay goes into.

Thanks J.M., now I've got coffee on my key board:lol::lol::lol::lol:.