PDA

View Full Version : Elusive sturgy's

AlbertaBuck
06-05-2013, 08:03 PM
You guessed it...sturgeon virgin, accomplished fisherman, so far this season racked up over 50 goldeye, 37 walleyes, 2 giant pike, 1 sauger, 3 red tails, 1 burbot out of the Nsr.....just can't seem to find myself a sturgeon, I'm using what I've been told to use by some educated sturgeon anglers and I've put in enough hours to start asking wtf...I'm fishing deep rock gravel shelves with slower currents...east of the city towards smoky lake, and tributarys in between...anybody know of a promising area east of Edmonton feel free to help.

jaystev
06-05-2013, 08:49 PM
I was in the same predicament up till last year. What worked for me was finding a really strong back eddy and using a setup geared specifically for sturgeon. Ive only caught a handful so im no expert, but all the sturgeon Ive caught were in some pretty strong currents. Once I noticed this Ive found ive changed where I fish the same holes.

WayneChristie
06-05-2013, 09:32 PM
dont be afraid to fish close to shore when the river is high and dirty, we've had some of our best big fish days casting 10 to 20 feet off shore. any sort of current break will help

pdfish
06-06-2013, 08:44 AM
dont be afraid to fish close to shore when the river is high and dirty, we've had some of our best big fish days casting 10 to 20 feet off shore. any sort of current break will help

Bingo!! With the river blown out right now, we're catching them really close to shore out of the heavy current. 9 in the last 3 trips, 1 over 40 lbs, 1 around 55.