PDA

View Full Version : Weird fish in Bow river

bowriverfan
06-05-2013, 09:46 PM
Hi Guys,
I was fishing today at fish creek park and landed this weird looking fish....Can anyone shade any light on it???? is this local to bow river or an invasive specis??????

MtnGiant
06-05-2013, 09:49 PM
Ya they are weird....thats a burbot.

What more weird is that you caught it on that lure.

bodomtyrant
Burbot for sure

Scott N
Hi Guys,
I was fishing today at fish creek park and landed this weird looking fish....Can anyone shade any light on it???? is this local to bow river or an invasive specis??????

Burbot?

solocam
Looks like a Ling

bowriverfan
06-05-2013, 09:59 PM
Thanks guys....

AppleJax
06-05-2013, 10:06 PM
That's either a burbot, a ling, or an eelpout. You choose ;)

mongo
06-05-2013, 10:09 PM
fish and chips .

Zip-in-Z
06-05-2013, 10:19 PM
A Burbot also known as a "Mariah" back in Manitoba, their ugly, too!

Don't eat it, it'll taste like something out of the sewer pipe!

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/hi.gif

Zip-Z

evileddie713
06-05-2013, 10:24 PM
I don't eat fish myself but my wife and parents both love burbot. Some people call it the poor mans lobster. Most people I have spoken too boil it then fry it in a pan or deep fryer.

DiabeticKripple
06-05-2013, 10:27 PM
Snakehead!

Gust
06-05-2013, 10:53 PM
In rivers they can be fun to catch,,, So the burblinglawyerfish hit a rapala? That's the best pic of the year I think!

EZM
06-05-2013, 11:04 PM
They will absolutely take a lure - caught a few on the bow river when I lived in Calgary and fished the lower bow quite a bit.

It's certainly not the most productive method to target a burb, but they do chase a lure every once in a while.

Speckle55
06-05-2013, 11:12 PM
here is a read on your Burbot

David:)

http://srd.alberta.ca/FishWildlife/WildSpecies/Fish/Codfish/Burbot/Burbot.aspx

Pikehunter13
06-05-2013, 11:28 PM
Hi Guys,

I like your stick you were using LOL

Burbot or Lota Lota are very good eating fish. Some people call it "The Poor man crab" If you were to boil it.

The water coming out of the our waste water treatment plants, provide the cleanest water in the world, if you were to compare other waste water treatment plants in the world.
We have the strictest waste water rules and guide line to purifying the water in the world.
Bonnybrook has been upgraded to the same technology as the new Pine creek facility.

People get the misconception of the water being gross and dirty because they see slim on the rocks and on their line.
What that really is, Is Didymosphenia geminata, A.K.A didymo.
I would explain but I'll let you read on it your self's
Link- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Didymosphenia_geminata

I believe a very long time ago, A fishermen went fishing in Europe's rivers and brought didymo to North America. Via his neoprene hip waders.

:bad_boys_20:

Fishnafterwork
06-06-2013, 12:31 AM
I had to smile when I seen the pic "after" reading the post :)

Beautiful Mariah

Winch101
06-06-2013, 07:04 AM
The bow is doomed ,they are voracious game fish eaters .

Hope you didn't touch it Burbolocious

Time to call the River Monsters guy ,best to burn the equipment

You were using to break the curse.....They are also known as

Lawyers because of their large pieholes :scared0018:

WhitefishLady
06-06-2013, 07:31 AM
Nice work! I've only caught burbot ice fishing but yes they are tasty! Boil in salted water then dip in butter like lobster. I believe they might taste better in the winter.

And they aren't invasive. Some people throw them on shore because they are "ugly"...either eat them or throw them back in the water. Unfortunately the fishing regs (including commerical) say you can waste edible burbot flesh.

goldscud
06-06-2013, 09:53 AM
Awesome native species. For a real adventure you need to catch one with the fly rod.

Fish along
06-06-2013, 11:14 AM
It's a crime against nature to throw them on the shore to rot or whatever. They are a great fish to eat just skin em like in the pic ,no small bones ,boiled or fried one of the better tasting fish out there In my opinion .

Fish along
06-06-2013, 11:17 AM
How come the pic shows only the head out of the water, are you afraid to pick him up lol.

iamkorean
06-06-2013, 03:18 PM
Ya they are weird....thats a burbot.

What more weird is that you caught it on that lure.

Literally, I just laughed my ass off ...
had to log in so i can leave this comment.:)

anyways, nice Ca.....tch :sHa_sarcasticlol:

bowriverfan
06-06-2013, 03:54 PM
How come the pic shows only the head out of the water, are you afraid to pick him up lol.

well!!! honestly speaking I never have caught one and the fish kinda look scary ......:) I released it without even lifting it from water......

schmedlap
06-06-2013, 06:55 PM
It's a crime against nature to throw them on the shore to rot or whatever. They are a great fish to eat just skin em like in the pic ,no small bones ,boiled or fried one of the better tasting fish out there In my opinion .
x2. The first time I caught one (ice fishing) it didn't look too appetizing, but a friend said keep it and I will show you how to fillet it. A bit of a job, and indescribable quantities of "slime", but it really is one of the better eating fish out there. I have since kept them for eating on the odd occasion we get one.
I never thought they could be caught on cranks or metal until a friend hooked a fairly large one while trolling a big Len Thomson for Pike (Iosegun) - introduced some fellow campers who had never seen one to just how good they are to eat. I've heard that the natives targeted them for eating, in preference to Walleye or Pike, "in the old days". And the biggest one I ever saw (had to be 15 lb. +) was in the back of the truck from a winter net haul by some natives at Pinehurst. The natives in question told us that while the other fish in their haul (mostly walleye and pike) were destined for commercial market, they would be keeping the "ling" for their own tables.

chriscosta
06-06-2013, 10:29 PM
Awesome native species. For a real adventure you need to catch one with the fly rod.
yup good luck with that lol but i suppose a baitfish fly could work but idk

Steelhead008
06-06-2013, 10:36 PM
They deffinitly freak you out rhe fosh time u see one lol

Gust
06-06-2013, 11:03 PM
yup good luck with that lol but i suppose a baitfish fly could work but idk

Bow river burb on a flyrod,, not me

http://reelflyfishing.com/albums/album57/Burbot449.jpg

goldscud
06-07-2013, 09:51 PM
Burb in picture looks like it was snagged near tail.
Lots of folks have caught them on flies, especially when nymphing. I know a guy who specifically fishes for them with small, white streamers and a full sink line.

Gust
06-07-2013, 10:43 PM
Burb in picture looks like it was snagged near tail.
Lots of folks have caught them on flies, especially when nymphing. I know a guy who specifically fishes for them with small, white streamers and a full sink line.

There's an srticle that goes with it and it was caight in the mouth on a larger streamer.

lotw
06-09-2013, 09:12 AM
Many names but i prefer lawyer.

Alberta Bigbore
06-09-2013, 12:37 PM
Tasty looking fish. Boil up the tail meat and dip it in garlic butter!~

TROLLER
06-09-2013, 04:26 PM
A Burbot also known as a "Mariah" back in Manitoba, their ugly, too!

Don't eat it, it'll taste like something out of the sewer pipe!

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/hi.gif

Zip-Z

You have obviously never eaten burbot. If you had you would never make a comment like that:snapoutofit: