PDA

View Full Version : large fishing coolers

Cornsy
08-03-2008, 12:05 PM
Hey guys, i'm going out to Prince Rupert next week and it appears we forgot to get some big coolers. Costco had them but they are sold out anywhere. I need to buy some or if anyone has any ideas let me know thanks.

TBark
08-03-2008, 01:33 PM
There's an ad in the regs and AO mag for those top-end Yeti coolers.
UK Kinetics sells them, fairly expensive, but they're the best.

TBark

Bushmaster
08-03-2008, 03:59 PM
Would they be easier to buy in Prince Rupert ??

HotHook
08-03-2008, 07:33 PM
Buy them in Prince Rupert.You can get the large styrofoam coolers for around
ten dollars right on the pier where they sell the crushed ice.
Make sure you take along a couple of rolls of duct tape to seal out the air
and secure the lid to the box.
The styrofoam coolers work better than the more expensive plastic ones bought from Canadian Tire,Walmart etc..
Good luck fishing.

FisherPotch
08-04-2008, 07:55 PM
I got the huge one from costco in june. Luv it!! They claim 7 day cooler on the label. Im not sure about that but we still had ice after five days. Freeze a couple ice cream pails filled with water. Huge ice chunks take a lot longer to melt than little cubes. The cooler (made by igloo) cost me just under $100 but worth every cent. It's got a scale on top that goes to 48 inches I think. No duck tape required and it will last!

Only thing is that they should have built wheels into it because loaded up it can be very heavy.

Jon_Boy
08-04-2008, 09:04 PM
Hey Cornsy,

I've got the Coleman Extreme and Ultimate and they are great coolers. I've had ice last 4 days in them (never tried any longer) but they are smaller (36 or 48 qt. or something like that) I was out to rupert in June and I noticed almost all of the charters I seen used the big white igloo coolers. Don't know if they are the best but maybe the biggest (???) Don't worry about freezing blocks of ice or anything, it is unnecessary. What we actually did was use an old freezer (smaller one that fit sideways in the truck box perfectly) and just layered ice and fish in it and we fit a 4 man limit of fish in there. It worked great but not necessary either. If you've never been before, Bob's on the Rocks is right down by the docks (where you can also buy your licenses) has all the ice you will need. I think we used 35 bucks worth of ice for the whole freezer to the top (with fish of course). There were a couple different groups of guys we had to wait for before we could get ice and two of the 4 man groups filled 3 of the big white igloos each so it takes quite a bit of room to store all that fish and ice. The shaved ice they use worked fine for us, our freezer was not plugged in and it lasted from 5:00PM the day we ended fishing then we stayed the night in rupert, drove all the way back the next day (15 hrs) and started working on the fish the morning after that (10:00AM)so about 40 hours and it was still pretty much all ice. Anyways, good luck on the trip!

I as well was intrigued by the Yeti coolers from Underwater Kinetics... Anybody got one???

Norm Harrisson
08-06-2008, 10:04 PM
Buy them in Prince Rupert. There is a store on the dock called "Bob's on the Rocks" and they are cheap there. They sell crushed ice as well for $5. If you trap crabs they will cook them, clean them and package them for you for $10. Don't bother with hauling stuff from Costco, Canadian Tire or anyplace else....it's really not worth it.

wadeseward
08-07-2008, 07:44 AM
I'm with Norm, we haul a deep freeze and generator up when we go to rupert but we usually still have to get a few coolers from Bob on the Rocks as well, sea ice last a lot longer than regular ice and the coolers are cheap. Make sure you try there halibut fish and chips as well.