PDA

View Full Version : West Prairie River (areas near High Prairie)

WhitefishLady
06-06-2013, 09:57 AM
Hello

I will be doing some work around High Prairie (west of Slave Lake) this summer and was wondering if the West Praire River in town was any good for fishng? I would be flyfishing/spin casting. Sounds like there are walleye and pike in there. I am aware that it doens't open till June 16 for the downstream of Hwy 2 portion and wouldnt be there till July.

Any other other places? Saw there is also Winagami Lake and South Heart Reservoir and Little Smokey River.
as well.

Thanks! :)

Wild&Free
06-06-2013, 10:50 AM
Heart River Dam is a good place to fish from shore. You can get there by heading east of winagami provincial park for a few KM and turning north onto a marked road. The little smokey has a few access spots, but the best one had the road wash out 2 years back and hasn't be repaired since. There's a road just off the Sunset House highway that crosses the little smokey just outside of HP, try upstream of there if you don't mind a stroll.

I visit my dad there every few weeks, if things work out I might be able to show you a place or two... but that's all I really know.

Wes Prairie river in town, and the East Prairie just out of town dry up pretty quick. Probably be a trickle running through in July.

WhitefishLady
06-06-2013, 05:54 PM
Thanks very much! Will look into the Heart River dam spot. Pike and Walleye in there I guess?

mxer117
06-06-2013, 08:22 PM
Thanks very much! Will look into the Heart River dam spot. Pike and Walleye in there I guess?

Check out Heart River Dam for sure, and Winagami Lake is just 20 min north of town, they have an awesome rock-walk that you can fish off and the pike and walleye are abundant there.

You'll not have a problem finding places to fish off banks or shore.

Sorry I can't help on the river through town question - I've never fished it.

Xiph0id
06-06-2013, 08:32 PM
Heart River Dam is a good place to fish from shore. You can get there by heading east of winagami provincial park for a few KM and turning north onto a marked road. The little smokey has a few access spots, but the best one had the road wash out 2 years back and hasn't be repaired since. There's a road just off the Sunset House highway that crosses the little smokey just outside of HP, try upstream of there if you don't mind a stroll.

I visit my dad there every few weeks, if things work out I might be able to show you a place or two... but that's all I really know.

Wes Prairie river in town, and the East Prairie just out of town dry up pretty quick. Probably be a trickle running through in July.

When camped at winagami I visited the resovoir. Always wondered if people put boats in there. I tried shore fishing a bit with no luck. I've heard of some big pike in there. It's quite the odd shape body of water too.

mxer117
06-07-2013, 08:13 AM
Theres no "real" boat launch there, but people do put their smaller boats in on a dirt launch above the dam. Its no good if its raining though!

And yeah, some big ass pike can be found in there - I wasn't there at the time but a buddy pulled out a 15 lber from shore there in 2011.

WhitefishLady
06-07-2013, 04:48 PM
Thanks very much everyone!

WhitefishLady
07-25-2013, 11:25 PM
Thanks again everyone! Went to the Heart River Dam and caught lots of pike. All little ones but it was fun.

Also went to the west of of lesser slave lake (the provincial park) and caught some pike there too.

Here's a pic of a little hammer handle eating my leech fly.

http://i1313.photobucket.com/albums/t555/WhitefishLady/Fishing/image_zpsd89cea81.jpg

Wild&Free
07-26-2013, 05:54 AM
Awesome. I really enjoy fishing at the dam. Tons of little pike to fill your day.

Thanks for sharing