PDA

View Full Version : Antuque Johnson Revival NEED PARTS

YeeHaw
06-06-2013, 06:41 PM
Today I received a call from an old friend of mine that said he had an old outboard for sale "cheap". Long story short, I bought the old girl for a small price and home I went. The outboard turns out to be a 56-57 Johnson 18 seahorse that was free on both the bottom end and lower unit. Before doing anything I pulled the plugs and instantly seen major carbon and oil deposits from running extremely rich, so to the sandblaster they went, next the carb came off, what a mess. I have never seen a carb that bad in my life. The varnish has literally turned to a heavy white chalk dust, and the cork float was split in half, not to mention the float needle was jammed. I cleaned everything out the best I could with carb clean, high pressure air, and a ton of elbow grease. The points also got a quick file down. Once everything was together, the moment of truth came, I primed the tank ( yes primer on the twin line tank), and on the second pull she fired up like a champ. She will run for about 3-4 minutes before the carb float gets fuel logged, then flood itself. So I am looking for a carb float, and an approximate dollar value on this engine. Does anyone have any insite on these old dinos?:sHa_shakeshout:

Gust
06-06-2013, 07:02 PM
Look up "The Bitter End" in Gibsons B.C,, two grumpy old guys with tons of experience on these things and probable any part you're looking for. I don't think they have a website, but I'm sure you can get their phone number from Google.

Popeyes in North Vansewer can probably help you out too, they have a website.

Kokanee9
06-06-2013, 07:33 PM
Just wondering if you could perhaps solder on a new float. I have no idea if constant exposure to gas would affect solder.

YeeHaw
06-06-2013, 07:42 PM
Thanks for the info Gust, I will try to contact them tomorrow at work. As for soldering on a new float, I hate to say it won't work. I would need a new one due to the original one being cork. I think im going to keep this old girl original if possible, and try to restore it to its former glory.

Kokanee9
06-06-2013, 07:52 PM
I had imagined some cork on the end of a piece of metal that would close the needle and seat as it floated higher. Sorry to hear it wont work. Best of luck!

YeeHaw
06-06-2013, 08:04 PM
I had imagined some cork on the end of a piece of metal that would close the needle and seat as it floated higher. Sorry to hear it wont work. Best of luck!

Now you got me thinking... I'm wondering if I can jimmy rig something. :Lightning:

Gust
06-06-2013, 08:21 PM
Now you got me thinking... I'm wondering if I can jimmy rig something. :Lightning:

how big is the float in diameter?

Gust
06-06-2013, 08:27 PM
take a look at this webpage

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-parts.php?year=1957&hp=18&model=FDE-11

Tussell
06-06-2013, 08:28 PM
I boats is a great site for the old stuff.

YeeHaw
06-06-2013, 11:09 PM
how big is the float in diameter?

I will check that out tomorrow after work. Checked out those refrences you gave me, and found the floats are interchangeable with models as current as 2007. I have seen multiple sources for waterpumps, and decal kits for if I decide to restore this classic.

YeeHaw
06-07-2013, 04:06 PM
I did some calling around today at work, and to my amazement Recreational Power Sports in town here, has all the parts I ned, including carb kit and impeller. Thought I would be searching forever.big thubs up to them.:)

Kokanee9
06-07-2013, 06:41 PM
I will check that out tomorrow after work. Checked out those refrences you gave me, and found the floats are interchangeable with models as current as 2007. I have seen multiple sources for waterpumps, and decal kits for if I decide to restore this classic.

I did some calling around today at work, and to my amazement Recreational Power Sports in town here, has all the parts I ned, including carb kit and impeller. Thought I would be searching forever.big thubs up to them.:)

Talk about lucky, wow!