PDA

View Full Version : Brand new angler looking for fishing advice...

Josh J
06-08-2013, 08:50 AM
Hey all!

This is my first post in the fishing section! Just getting into fishing (have yet to buy my outfit). I am interested in fishing for both catch and release and food. I have a few questions, that I would really appreciate some advice on.

1. I want to buy a good quality, versatile rod and reel that will last me years. I am currently thinking of picking up a spinning rod, but am open to others trying to convince me otherwise. Do you have any advice either way? I've heard that either spinning or casting are good for novices.

2. I've heard you can buy a decent rod for under $100. If it is a better investment to put $150 - $200 into a rod and reel, I am willing to do it. What would you suggest?

3. Should I buy an outfit that can accept a wider variety of line weights (ex. 8-20 lb, as opposed to something like 8-14 lb), or should I buy a rod with smaller tolerances and buy another rod for different line weights when the time comes? Right now I am not looking at trying to snag monster Sturgeon or anything, but I would like to be able to apply the rod to as many different scenarios as possible, and maybe save some money by not needing more than one rod (at least for now).

4. I've heard that rods can often handle fish larger than what they are rated for. is this something that I should expect it to be able to do, or should I try to operate within its limitations as much as possible?

5. Most of my fishing will most likely be done west of Edmonton (I have some family there). Would you suggest Wabamun over Chip Lake, or vice versa? Also, are there any other locations that I should pay attention to?

6. Lastly, I want to get my wife a rod as well. Should I buy her the same rod, or would it be better to pick up a different one for her?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me! I'm sure you can tell how much of a newb I am by my stupid questions haha... If you have anything else to say, that I haven't covered in my questions, let it fly!

greyduck
06-08-2013, 09:23 AM
Hi there. I know you will get a lot of suggestions but I like the Shimano Spirex 4000 with a 7 foot ugly stick, and 20 lb Sufix 832 braid. Will handle 95% of anything you find in Alberta and not break the bank. For the wife I would go one size smaller at a 2500 and a 6.5 ft rod because of the weight of the 4000.

Have fun out there.

B_Type13X2
06-08-2013, 09:52 AM
If you want a good rod and reel, I use an Abu Garcia Orra on a FX rod by shimano as my back up rod/ reel combo and it hasn't disappointed me when I've been using it.

http://www.thefishinhole.com/index.cfm?action=product&se=26840

http://www.thefishinhole.com/index.cfm?action=product&se=21578

I have the FXS-90MHB2 and much like my ugly stick, you can't really hurt this rod unless your going out of your way to destroy it. My whole take on rod/ reel is you get what you pay for but there is much more bang for your buck at the 100-150$ price range. Personally my primary rod/ reel set up is a Abu Garcia Revo Inshore INS40 on the FXS-90MHB2 it casts smoother then my Orra and it definitely retrieves smoother, but you wont really notice it when your first starting out. As for the Rod, well its not an expensive rod, a big pike can't really wreck it, it's 9' long so you get better reach.

All of this being said there are better rod/ reel combo's available and it comes down to what you want to spend, and how seriously you are going to take fishing as a hobby. A friend of mine Blew 700$'s on a Shimano Stella and another 350 on a St. Croix rod, I wont say it was foolish or a waste of money because he pretty much got the best that money could buy. And another friend of mine spent all of 60$'s on his rod and reel and is equally happy.

Addressing #3, unless you are very serious about targeting one particular type of fish and that is all your interested in, it is best to have a rod/ reel that is a jack of all trades. So don't go crazy about having a rod/reel setup for xyz species, you change the lure for what your targeting not your whole set up. Personally I have 3 different rods and 3 different reels in my truck at all times, and they all have the same leaders/ lb test on them, and they all have a separate spool ready and waiting in my tackle box with a different lb test on it. This is more so because I have friends who have fishing licenses but forget their rods at home and we mainly go right after work so they can borrow one of my spares and not have to run home to get their gear.

General rule for me, choose X rod/reel spool it with 14lb mono or 20lb braid, throw a 40lb leader on it and fish for whatever you want.

#4... If it is a light flimsy rod, don't go after big fish with it or you can expect it to break. This is the entire reason why I have an ugly stick and 2 FXS90's they are beasts of a rod and are very hard to break/ harm. It would take a hell of a fish to do damage to these and likely the rest of your tackle will break off before it happens. If your outside the parameters of your rod assume it will break. That being said, fishing rods like alot of things are derated by a margin.

#5 not from edmonton so a local will have to answer that.

#6 get your wife the same as you have it eliminates "rod Envy."

Lund rebel
06-08-2013, 12:17 PM
We have fished for years and just recently I bought a high end rod. For a beginner rod reel its tough to beat the ugly sticks I run the medium weight with quantum snap shot reels with 10 pound power pro line. There fairly forgiving reels and tough rods couldn't break them. We use them for pike, walleye, trout. They hold up well maybe not the greatest sensitivity but all round great rod. Now that I have been fishing more I bought a good set up but now run 3 rod reels. One for small fish one medium and a tree branch for large fish. It's probably easier to start with a spinning set up, baitcasting reels are a little bit tricky to learn on and if u forget to adjust the brake u will find u dealing with tangles more than fishing. If your starting out I would budget on rods as you can find yourself spending a bunch or hooks and setups for different species of fish.

As for lakes I would download the Ifish alberta app tell u local spots. I fish wab regularly never fished chip from a boat but have in winter.

What kind of fish do you plan to catch?

fishtank
06-08-2013, 04:13 PM
ugly stick for the rod

Graffy91
06-08-2013, 05:31 PM
Hey all!

This is my first post in the fishing section! Just getting into fishing (have yet to buy my outfit). I am interested in fishing for both catch and release and food. I have a few questions, that I would really appreciate some advice on.

1. I want to buy a good quality, versatile rod and reel that will last me years. I am currently thinking of picking up a spinning rod, but am open to others trying to convince me otherwise. Do you have any advice either way? I've heard that either spinning or casting are good for novices.

2. I've heard you can buy a decent rod for under $100. If it is a better investment to put $150 - $200 into a rod and reel, I am willing to do it. What would you suggest?

3. Should I buy an outfit that can accept a wider variety of line weights (ex. 8-20 lb, as opposed to something like 8-14 lb), or should I buy a rod with smaller tolerances and buy another rod for different line weights when the time comes? Right now I am not looking at trying to snag monster Sturgeon or anything, but I would like to be able to apply the rod to as many different scenarios as possible, and maybe save some money by not needing more than one rod (at least for now).

4. I've heard that rods can often handle fish larger than what they are rated for. is this something that I should expect it to be able to do, or should I try to operate within its limitations as much as possible?

5. Most of my fishing will most likely be done west of Edmonton (I have some family there). Would you suggest Wabamun over Chip Lake, or vice versa? Also, are there any other locations that I should pay attention to?

6. Lastly, I want to get my wife a rod as well. Should I buy her the same rod, or would it be better to pick up a different one for her?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me! I'm sure you can tell how much of a newb I am by my stupid questions haha... If you have anything else to say, that I haven't covered in my questions, let it fly!

1. Buy a Fenwick rod, and get a Pflueger or a Shimano reel. Spend 100 on rod, 100 on reel.

2. It depends how serious about getting into fishing you are, it's the same principle with buying hockey sticks, or anything that has better performance.

3. A medium rod with 20lb braid will handle anything in Alberta.

4. A rod will perform with how the user handles it. :)

5. Wabamun.

6. Get a different rod for you're wife, such as a lower end St. Croix, but don't cheap out on one either, because if she doesn't end up enjoying fishing you have another good rod! :sHa_shakeshout:

Also, don't be shy to ask, we've all started out somewhere.

AppleJax
06-08-2013, 06:11 PM
Set your budget for your rod/reel. Spend more on your reel than your rod, 3:1. Maybe get your wife a cheaper setup, but not substantially cheaper (no walmart combo's) Wabamun for fun and experience, Chip Lake for food.

Geezle
06-09-2013, 10:41 AM
Lots of questions and lots of possible options!

First off, like AppleJax was getting at, what's your budget? And of your budget, you're likely going to want to put more of the money towards your reel rather than your rod.

As has been stated an average medium action rod will cover most of what you're going to find in the province, with a few exceptions. That being said, yes you can get away with one rod, but I like to have at least 2...one for heavier stuff (big pike at Wab or tossing heavy weights into the river) and lighter one for trout, walleye, etc. If you don't think wifey will be fishing as much as you, maybe consider a decent medium action rod for her, and then get yourself a medium, and a medium heavy to cover your bases.

If you're just getting started then definitely stick with a spinning reel...baitcasters can be a pain sometimes...especially when you're starting out.

If you want, shoot me a PM regarding more specifics on gear...I think I even have some spinning gear in the basement that I may be willing to part with to get you started :)

conan
06-09-2013, 10:58 AM
A lot of good advice Josh but when I first started I can't tell you how many rods I broke just because of careless handling. There is a lot of good inexpensive rods I would buy over a really good one for my first season. Then upgrade and use this one for a spare. And always have a spare!

Eddy62
06-10-2013, 07:44 AM
6.5 to 7 foot ugly stix or shimano compre both pretty tough and good rods

shimano reel look and try one in your hand and pick what feels right to you

20 pound braid and get some 10 lb fluorocarbon line and attach 6 to 8 feet to your braided line and your good to go.

good luck..............later

Josh J
06-10-2013, 10:15 AM
Thanks for the advice guys! You've given me a lot to think about! My budget for a rod/reel is about $150.

Rabdo
06-10-2013, 10:26 AM
if you haven't decided on the rod yet after reading everyone's suggestions, i'll break it down for ya. Get an UGLY STICK. very versatile rod at a very good price. it was the first rod I started with 3 years ago and I haven't changed. It handles everything from little trout and perch to 15lb pike and lakers

For the reel, all i can say is buy one that already comes with a spare spool. Then you can have one rigged up with heavy duty braided line, and one with lighter line if you want when you're targeting small fish at ponds, etc. The reel you choose may say something like " 8 lb line 250 yards - 16 lb line 150 yards " Good news is 30 lb braided line is the same diameter as 8 lb line. So you can throw on the heavy duty line no problems.

Oh ya, make sure your reel has at least 6 bearings. more bearing = smoother operation.

You got plenty of info, you won't need to break the bank to get a good set up for ALL fish in Alberta. Good luck

Walleyedude
06-10-2013, 11:57 AM
My advice - DON'T buy an Ugly Stick. They're tough, but that's about the only thing they have going for them.

Look for a good quality graphite rod in the 6'6"-7' length, medium power, with a fast action. That's the best overall compromise, and while not ideal for everything, it will handle anything you can catch in AB. I'm partial to Shimano, so I'd recommend a Convergence or Clarus if you want to stay at or below $100, a Compre if you want to go a little higher end. They come in both 1pc and 2pc versions, the 1pc will have a little better sensitivity, but the 2pc rods have come a long way, and the convenience is worth it for a lot of people.

For a reel, my #1 suggestion would be a Shimano Symetre FL, best bang for the buck in their entire lineup IMHO, but if you want to drop down a level or two and keep it under $100, the Sahara or Sedona are good quality reels. Don't be fooled by bearing counts when you're shopping, 3 or 4 good quality bearings are better than 10 poor bearings every time. The last point I'd make is don't buy a great big reel. I think that's a very common mistake that people make. There's no reason to ever go above a 3000 size reel for fishing in AB in my opinion, that extra bulk and weight is completely unnecessary.

I'd disagree with some others here regarding the money I'd spend on a rod vs. reel, but it depends on how you fish and what you're targeting. If you're fishing primarily from a boat or more finesse fishing, the rod is more important than the reel. A quality rod gives you the all important feel that lets you become a better angler, and is worth the investment. A reel with a good drag is important, but for most fish in AB, walleye in particular, the biggest thing is to keep the weight down and buy the best quality in your price range. The rod should cost more than the reel in most cases. If you're primarily casting with big cranks, spoons, etc..., then the reel becomes more important, because feel is no longer as critical.

I never fish with anything heavier than 15lb PowerPro for pike or walleye, in fact I generally use 10lb Powerpro and 8lb mono. With a proper rod and drag setting, you really don't need to go any heavier, but with the new lines, you can go to 20lbs without too much penalty to have a little more insurance.

I'd suggest a slightly different rod for your wife, a different model, length, etc.. so you can get a feel for another setup, but I'd try to get her at least as good a reel as you get for yourself. A rule I learned long ago - if your wife isn't having fun fishing, you aren't having fun fishing, and her having good gear goes a long way toward making it more enjoyable for her.

Winch101
06-10-2013, 04:30 PM
I have a few walleye rods ,some high end ,some I designed....

I like 5'6". Or 6' One Piece.....but I needed some travelling rods.

Saw Randy at WSS Calgary ....Showed me. Rapala RT ....2pc

MH.....with. Shimano Sienna....good prices ......light

Great jigging ......if ugly sticks were free still too much ...

Might have spent $ 100.00 for each set up .....This is after all

Ab.....where you have to be lucky .....

Josh J
06-11-2013, 01:03 PM
Thanks for the input guys! From where I stand there seems to be a couple schools of thought... Less expensive vs. more expensive rods. Spending money on reels seems to be important to everyone.

I'm thinking I will choose a good reel and buy the most expensive rod that fits in my budget after that. I guess the bonus of buying an ugly stik is that if I find I don't like it, it was only $30... I'll have to play it by ear.

While I'm at it, any advice on boats would be appreciated. I am interested in looking into an aluminum fishing boat. Is a 12 footer more than enough?

If I can buy used, and get the entire fishing getup for my wife and I for about $1000, I would be a happy man.

BeeGuy
06-11-2013, 01:18 PM
Grab a couple $50 medium action combo's and spool them up in the store with 10lb braided line.

If you use the gear enough this season to wear out the reel (unlikely) or break the rod (is it really such a bad thing?) then you will have a pretty good idea what you want to upgrade to at that point.

If you don't get out fishing much, you will still have your medium action combo's which didnt cost much and which are capable of landing just about any fish you are likely to hook into.

Fishing is Alberta with the intent of harvesting is a tough go until you familiarize yourself with several different spots. Just read the reg's and if you get one that is legal to keep....bonus!

Keep in mind there are fisheries closed to harvest ie Wabamun and fish species closed as well ie Bull Trout and Sturgeon.

It is more important imo to have gear in good working order than to have an expensive equipment. My $25 reel has out fished many a ballin set-up.

Best of luck!

EZM
06-11-2013, 02:39 PM
I agree with Walleyedude - ugly sticks are old technology with a parabolic action - meaning they are not ideal for hook sets unless you are willing to swing the rod like a baseball bat. They indicate no rating for action - this is like buying terminal tackle without it indicating a breaking test strength. You get what you pay for.

Ugly sticks are decent down rigging and bottom bouncing rods for old men, guys that beat up their equipment and simply have not had the opportunity to use a high quality, high tech fishing rod and simply don't know better. (lol - I'm going to get killed for those comments .... lol ...... just teasing).

Buy a mid market $50-$65 rod - medium power - fast action. The best overall compromise for all species here in Alberta.

Power refers to the overall flexibility of the rod and is matched toward the size of your quarry (generally speaking).

Action refers to how quickly the rod will spring back to it's original shape after being flexed - typically this means the faster the action the higher the apex of the flexible portion of the rod is toward the tip (again, generally speaking).

If you are a beginner - go with a spinning outfit as they are more forgiving and easier to use.

Spend the money on a reel like Geezle suggests. Shimano and Abu Garcia are excellent products and for around $80-$120 you have an outstanding reel.

Get a longer rod like a 7 footer or even a 8 footer - it allows you to cast further, control the fish around the boat etc. I am partial to Shimano products at the suggested price point.

Use braided line - my suggestion is power pro 20 lb.

Use good quality terminal tackle and attach a heavy duty swivel snap to your main line to eliminate the twisting of your line when trolling or retrieving a lure - this is critical. It will also allow you to quickly change leaders, lures etc without the need to re-tie.

Use a palomar knot.

Go to Wabamun - best place in the world for big pike, steady action and close to the city.

Good luck - PM me if you need any help with spots to try or gear selection.

bnd112
06-11-2013, 05:10 PM
You may want to even check out the buy/sell forum for a new rig. There is often high quality stuff for a decent price, I have bought a few items off there and I have been more than happy with it. Good luck.

cube
06-11-2013, 07:46 PM
You certainly have gotten allot of good info here. The one thing I would suggest though is get a medium heavy to heavy rod unless you are going to spend the majority of your time fishing small trout and walleye. I mean if the bass guys use medium heavy and heavy rods for 2 pound to 4 pound fish I would imagine that you would need at least the same for pike. I know that the only medium rod I have now is for jigging small walleye everything else is medium heavy or heavy and they work great, they even catch walleye like crazy.

As for the boat if you can at all afford it get a 14 footer over the 12, esp. if those children in your avatar are yours. 12 footers are fine for 2 adults in calm water but add an extra person and waves and things can get very exciting in a hurry.

Good luck to you

pelada trochu
06-11-2013, 10:28 PM
Lots of regulars here with good ideas

I started with a walmart berckley cherrywood. 28 bucks. Cheap shimano spinning reel.
12 lb mono.

Now i have a quality graphite rod from basspro and the berkley feels like fishing with a spaghety noodle. Thing is never ride your buddies new quad or whatever. You will just end up disappointed in what you have.

Shimano sahara reels from bp are great bang for buck. New design this year too. Then ask the guys to find a balanced 6.5 rood with decent graphite for about 75 to 100 bucks.

Remember hooks are meant to catch fisherman too. Get some perch hooks swivels sinkers for walleye and a couple spoons and wire leaders for pike.

For the wife that is tough.

Josh J
06-11-2013, 10:30 PM
Thanks for that advice on boats! it is good to know. The kiddos are indeed mine! There's another one after them as well, so there are passengers in our future!