PDA

View Full Version : Walleye boot camp

lolanr
06-08-2013, 09:38 AM
I attended a walleye boot camp event in Montana last weekend and thought I would pass along my review here. I can't say enough what a great opportunity this is. It is an intense learning and fishing experience put on by 2 former PWT pros.

1 guide has a fully rigged 20' pro v aluminum and the other the same in glass. 1 boat runs Lowrance and the other birds. It's a great opportunity to see both types of electronics in action.

So you spend a full day on the water with each guide learning how to really understand where to find big fish or lots of fish, understanding your electronics and how to set for beat performance and how and when to use different tactics.

I have read and watched and tried to learn as much about walleye fishing as I could over the last several years and in 1 weekend I learned more than I ever thought I could. I think it's an opportunity no matter your skill level but I garuntee you even seasoned tournament anglers could learn from these two guys. Both were on the pro circuit for several years. Jim guides on Ft Peck now and just did a episode there with In Fisherman. Dale guides on several lakes and puts on classes about electronics and tactics through out the year.

So if you want to improve your fishing skills or are just looking for a fun weekend on the water check it out. I had a blast. I took in bootcamp on Fresno resv by Havre. They run 2 others as well. I am thinking of signing up for Ft Peck next year! Just google walleye bootcamp to check it out.

THERICARDO
06-08-2013, 11:05 AM
So since you saw both Low and Bird which did you think was better? and why?

lolanr
06-08-2013, 12:10 PM
I have birds on my boat so that is what I am most used to. I think they are easier to operate. The Lowrance's are really full of cool features but I think you really have to spend a lot of time getting to know them. I loved the Sirrius weather app that was awesome. The touch screen is nice but is messy.

I really was most interested to see DI and SI in action and have someone in the know describe them. I must say I wasn't really impressed with that option on either unit. I and even the guides said they spend 95% of their time looking at the regular sonar image.

Overall I think I will stick to what I have. Would like a bigger screen with out the DI and SI option because it just makes the larger units so much more money. For the amount and type of fishing I do. I think regular sonar display is all I need with a map option.

THERICARDO
06-08-2013, 12:38 PM
Cool thanks for the info, muchly appreciated... CUrrently in market for fish finder and have seen some threads about it but everyone seems to have such a different opinion about Low vs Bird...

madatter
06-08-2013, 02:55 PM
I have birds on my boat so that is what I am most used to. I think they are easier to operate. The Lowrance's are really full of cool features but I think you really have to spend a lot of time getting to know them. I loved the Sirrius weather app that was awesome. The touch screen is nice but is messy.

I really was most interested to see DI and SI in action and have someone in the know describe them. I must say I wasn't really impressed with that option on either unit. I and even the guides said they spend 95% of their time looking at the regular sonar image.

Overall I think I will stick to what I have. Would like a bigger screen with out the DI and SI option because it just makes the larger units so much more money. For the amount and type of fishing I do. I think regular sonar display is all I need with a map option.

From my limited experience(4outings) with SI and DI on my new Bird finder I'd have to say I'd be better off without them....
Just more screens to scroll thru and waste time on,and not get anything usefull out of them.
Some might but I'm glad to know I am not the only one thinking they are not very useful.
And I'm thinking I need to go to one of these boot amps too as early season walleye have been kicking my butt!

Walleyedude
06-09-2013, 08:02 AM
Sounds interesting for sure. You can always learn something new, that's the beauty of fishing, it's a life long learning experience.

davegrant
06-09-2013, 08:20 AM
The Side Imaging feature does take a little while to understand what u are looking at but it is very important at finding that spot within a spot to be ontop of the fish. I have had many a trip where found a rock pile or mud/sand transition(easy to see on imaging) that all the fish were relating to.Use GPS to mark spots / Regular sonar display for drop offs/ and Side imaging for pinpoint accuracy of weed edges, bottom composition, rock piles.Use all 3 tools you'll be ontop the fish 100% of the time.
NOW JUST TO GET THEM TO BITE !!! :)

bowhunter79
06-09-2013, 10:02 AM
So is it a two day teaching? Do you need your own boat at all or just show up with your gear?

lolanr
06-09-2013, 11:20 AM
It's 2 days on water. You do not need any gear or your boat. All is provided even lunch each day. After first day they did a fish fry for us as well. I just brought a few bottles of water for on the boat.

Hunter Trav
06-10-2013, 01:43 PM
Have you got a link to a website or some contact info for it? Would be really cool to go and attend...