PDA

View Full Version : Good Fishing Spot

dbw11
08-04-2008, 09:31 AM
Does anyone have any good suggestions where I could take my 10 year old daughter shore fishing within a couple hours of red deer. We have tried the red deer river and caught quite a few pickeral but she has trouble walking up and down stream. She would like to try at a lake but I do not have a boat.

Brian
08-04-2008, 02:22 PM
There are quite a number of spots to go fishing within a couple of hours of Red Deer. If you're up to a trip to the Rocky Mtn. Hse. area & don't mind fishing in a small 14 foot aluminum boat (doesn't go real fast, but is very safe) you both would be welcome to join me to try for some perch at Cow Lake (SW of Rocky) or trout at Twin Lake (NW of Rocky) or one or more of several other smaller trout lakes in the area. There are never any guarantees of catching fish, but I enjoy taking kids fishing (you would be welcome as well of course) and usually manage to help them catch something. They're not always large fish, but still a lot of fun for kids. The perch at Cow Lake usually cooperate at least a bit, & sometimes it's really great. Size varies from real small, but quite frequently we do well with quite large ones. Most of the time one can also catch a few smaller trout at least, and occasionally some nice ones.
Drop me a line if you would like to go out one day.........my time is pretty flexible right now. I live near Leslieville which is about a 15 - 20 minute drive east of Rocky. You can call me at 403-729-3688. About all it would cost is your fuel to drive out here (about 45 minutes from Red Deer) and having to listen to some fishings stories......and hopefully adding a few of your own. I would have to check to see if I still have a life jacket that would fit a 10 year old. Used to have a couple but can't remember if I still have them or not. If you call & I don't answer (I'm outside a lot), please leave a message & I'll get back to you.

Brian

BigIrv
08-04-2008, 06:05 PM
You can try dickson trout pond on the north shore of glennifer. Just south of dickson. Rainbow trout in there and usually a pretty good chance of getting something, big or small.

gonefishin
08-04-2008, 09:54 PM
Not too sure how it is now, but a few years back Bower Ponds in Red Deer used to be good for rainbows. Nothing big, but enough to keep the kids interested.

You could also try at Burbank, where the Blindman River meets the Red... I believe it's near Blackfalds. Used to be really good Goldeye fishing from shore, and not much walking at all.