PDA

View Full Version : Upper Kananaskis Lake water level

TheBatman
06-08-2013, 06:40 PM
Went out for some camping 2 weeks ago to the upper lake. No way we could launch the boat as the water was below the boat launch with a sharp 1.5 foot drop. Was going to launch it going down the shore, but F&W suggested it was a bad idea as he would have to ticket us lol. We ended up going to spray for the day.

Anybody been out there recently? Has the water level come up? Hope to hit it up next weekend.

Thanks!

wellsite
06-08-2013, 07:05 PM
Was there on Wednesday......water level is the same (1.5 feet below the end of launch).

TheBatman
06-08-2013, 07:07 PM
Thanks for the reply. Looks like I'll be be bringing a different boat. I will be in a boat on the water :)

Kokanee9
06-08-2013, 08:03 PM
Thanks for the reply. Looks like I'll be be bringing a different boat. I will be in a boat on the water :)

Yes, sometimes it's good to have a canoe as a backup when there is no launch available.

kinwahkly
06-08-2013, 10:02 PM
Was there on Friday, super low still, about a foot and a half below the cement dock.

OutwardBound
06-09-2013, 02:41 PM
Anybody know why the level is so low? With the amount of rain we have had in the last month and lots of the snow pack melted it seems weird why the level isn't up yet. Have a campsite reserved at Bolton Creek and planned on doing some fishing. Hopefully it rains all week:sign0176:

Daceminnow
06-09-2013, 02:57 PM
Anybody know why the level is so low? With the amount of rain we have had in the last month and lots of the snow pack melted it seems weird why the level isn't up yet.

the tap has not been shut off at the dam. all the water is continually flowing through into the lower lake. the level is purposely being kept low allowing men and equiptment to complete a spawning project for the cutthroat trout. to my knowledge they were shooting to be finished this past week. see below post copied from a thread in the ff discussion.

from this thread.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=180572

"currently there is men and equipment from transalta working in the mouth of rawson creek at upper kananaskis lake constructing ladders and pools to create a spawning channel for the cutthroat trout. it is unknown whether after this spawning channel project has been completed the cutthroats will indeed successfully be able to naturally reproduce. it has been determined the water temperature is right in this area and at worst this channel will give somewhere for the females to release their eggs which does cause mortality in these fish if this process does not occur.

on another note from the lower kananaskis lake. many big mature cutthroat trout were observed this past week trying to spawn up the outflow water coming out of the dam at interlakes. unfortunately many of these fish were knocking themselves out on the rocks in their migration attempts and were consequently floating belly up out into the lake. there currently is no suitable areas in this lake for these fish to spawn, nor any plans in the works. proposals have been made in the past (90's) to build a spawning channel on the old kananaskis river channel which was the most important area for the cutthroats to spawn prior to the upper lake being dammed. again water temperature is right in this area (although the old channel is now for the most part completely dried up). a critical factor to this even if the river channel was restored and allowed to flow like it once did is the water stabilization of the lower lake. trout unlimited has been involved in working towards a resolution to these issues for some 20 years. water generated power does generate power and is held in high regard. this in turn also continues to put money into pockets. the regard for our once naturally reproducing resource we are all entitled to enjoy, maybe not so much. if anyone would like any further information as to who you might want to send an email to, feel free to send me a message. it seems that this squeaky wheel that has been wobbling for a long time now, may need a whole lot more grease. and guess what, as mention transalta is currently working to improve the cutthroat spawning area on the upper kananaskis lake right now. seems timely.

not meant to hijack here Sed. maybe this would be a good start to your research."

Dace

OutwardBound
06-09-2013, 08:34 PM
Thanks for the reply! Sounds like a good reason to keep the level low for a while.

Dustin

Albertadiver
06-09-2013, 08:46 PM
Just got back from Elkwood today. Water levels in both lakes are low low low... There were some boats launching in the lower lake at the Canyon boat launch though. Concrete pad all the way down, but I didn't see how far underwater it went.

Commander B
06-09-2013, 10:49 PM
Suprised a ticket would be in order for launching beside the pad ? Must be to disturbing to the vegitation free gravel that is soon to be 30 feet under water.

B.