PDA

View Full Version : Just back from Salmon fishing trip

Sundancefisher
06-08-2013, 09:41 PM
Wow... Fishing is red hot right now. Had a great time and everyone caught their limit. Weather was great. Whales put on quite a show as they are such amazing creatures. I saw Orcas, Humpback Whales and a Minke Whale.

Stay tune for some photos!

topgear
06-08-2013, 10:38 PM
Sounds great. Where did you go? Did you charter, or take your own boat?

conan
06-08-2013, 10:41 PM
Right on glad you had a good trip. Heading to Prince Rupert first week of July can't wait

Sundancefisher
06-09-2013, 10:00 AM
I went to a lodge. We went self guide and did very well. We even had an wildlife encounter of a lifetime!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRHO9iAODQk

walking buffalo
06-09-2013, 10:42 AM
That was awsome video!

George can be a girl's name. ;)

Pretty sure that's the baby surfacing at around 1:12.

conan
06-09-2013, 10:47 AM
Amazing! We had one breach and swim one pass beside our boat but nothing like the visit you got. Glad you had a camera handy so share that with us!

Sundancefisher
06-09-2013, 10:50 AM
Amazing! We had one breach and swim one pass beside our boat but nothing like the visit you got. Glad you had a camera handy so share that with us!

I was absolutely the best gift we could of received. 1 hour of a whale playing around the boat.

jjstar
06-09-2013, 10:56 AM
Awesome video where were you guys out of?

MtnGiant
06-09-2013, 11:01 AM
WOW!!!!
Spectactular experience footage....

A lil spooky though....Were you a lil nervous of it flipping your boat?

Ken07AOVette
06-09-2013, 11:19 AM
That is absolutely amazing! Thank you so much for sharing it with us

MtnGiant
06-09-2013, 11:21 AM
How was the Salmon fishing?

Add pics if you can

Pixel Shooter
06-09-2013, 11:29 AM
just stellar video, too cool! experience of a lifetime is right! look forward to hearing more on trip and pics :D

Wild&Free
06-09-2013, 11:30 AM
Spectacular, thanks for sharing.

Sundancefisher
06-09-2013, 11:43 AM
How was the Salmon fishing?

Add pics if you can

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEAJitMXwm8

Here is an underwater video.

My Zoombrowser is not working to shrink my photos. It says "zb module has stopped working". I am working on this to add photos.

The fishing was spectacular. There were 67 of us at Langara Fishing Lodge. We went unguided and did really, really well.

As one point we had a quad on. I was up next for the bite...then when a chinook hit I set the hook into a nice one. Then my buddy set the hook immediately thereafter on a second. I took a second to reel up the third rod to prevent tangling when the rod tip drove hard to the water. A third Chinook was on! I frantically tried to reel up the forth rod while in the holder when that one also started screaming line. Frantically we raced from rod to rod, reeling and untangling crossed over lines. Fishing were sounding, jumping and screaming across the water in what was the most heart pounding exciting fishing moment of my life. 4 Chinook on at the same time and all in the mid to high 20's.

In the end we boated 3 of the 4 and released 2. Every time thereafter we dropped the lines we were in a fight.

We had numerous double headers over the trip, a number of triples and the quad. We limited out on Chinook, Halilbut, snapper, rockfish and lingcod. We did not see any coho but many coho in the 5-7 pound range were caught as well as a couple chum and 1 sockeye. I caught the largest legal halibut at 125 cm and it weighed 59 lbs.

My and my buddy loved doing it all ourselves...baiting, driving, hook setting. My other friends on the trip did not think we would do so well unguided. We actually did better then most guide boats and while I hooked into two 40lb + Chinooks only to have the barbless hooks pop out, my buddy did land a 40 lber. The biggest Chinook caught on our trip were 42.5lb, 45 lb and 50 lb.

I am so stoked for the next trip!

Everyone should get out to the west coast this year for some exciting salmon fishing!

MtnGiant
06-09-2013, 11:55 AM
Very cool play by play....I can feel your excitement :)

And more great footage

Sundancefisher
06-09-2013, 12:23 PM
Very cool play by play....I can feel your excitement :)

And more great footage

My heart is still racing thinking about the trip. While my biggest chinook was 28 lbs... I had my shot at a salmon of a lifetime twice. My friend that caught the 50 lber was a lucky, lucky man. I have a photo of that one also...if I can get my photo program to work.

Arggg.

Jamie
06-09-2013, 01:15 PM
Well done Sun!!
Looks like a great trip. Seems all over the north coast is on fire.
Definitely a year to enjoy the North country.

Jamie

Sundancefisher
06-09-2013, 02:45 PM
Well done Sun!!
Looks like a great trip. Seems all over the north coast is on fire.
Definitely a year to enjoy the North country.

Jamie

It seems to be on fire right now. Hope it lasts till the end of August!

Sundancefisher
06-09-2013, 02:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOSstJx2Gxw

This is a video of the biggest one we caught... It was a world record on 25 lb test and we still released it.

:bad_boys_20:

Fishnafterwork
06-09-2013, 02:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOSstJx2Gxw

This is a video of the biggest one we caught... It was a world record on 25 lb test and we still released it.

:bad_boys_20:

That's good :)

BobLoblaw
06-09-2013, 05:15 PM
Great videos, Kevin!:sHa_shakeshout:

That would have made the trip worthwhile, even if you never caught a fish...

warriorboy10
06-10-2013, 01:03 PM
Will be out there to stay with GPSL. Hopin everything works out well and have experiences like that. Very cool!!

Pointerman
06-18-2013, 11:53 PM
Awesome footage! I am taking my fishing crazy 16 year old son to the Charlottes in August for his first West Coast trip. These videos are getting him and me all jacked up! Can't wait!