PDA

View Full Version : Hold on

honda450
08-04-2008, 02:25 PM
Well had a bit of a scare about two weeks ago when I was fly fishing the Carbondale alone. Was going over a rock face that I have been over many times in years past. My footing let go and I slid about 6 feet to the bone chilling water below. My first thought was to throw my rod above me into the bushes. Can't lose that new set up I bought. So down I go. Well I hit the water and the current was so strong it took 15-20 meters till I could grasp on to some rocks along the shore. But it was still a rock face above me and I tried like heck to get out. Meanwhile My leg was hurting like crazy and I was in waist high water. I clung on to that rock and tried to pull myself out but couldn't get any firm grip on the rock nor when I lifted one leg it wanted to wash the other leg away. So I thought and thought maybe I should let go and wash downstream some. It didn't look good. I am sure only seconds went by but it seemed longer. Well I did manage to pull myself out after about what seemed like 10 minutes, exhusted. Hey my fly rod was untouched. I did hear another fellow lost his Life slipping off some rocks in the Oldman River just before this, I understand he was washed 1.5 km's down. I only got bruises and scraps and a sore knee. --------Careful fishing alone guys if I would of hit my head on the rocks game over.

gonefishin
08-04-2008, 02:32 PM
Scary stuff. I got washed away on the Little Smokey a few years back. It felt like forever in that water and when I got back to shore, I realized I had only gone about 15 feet. My how the mind races when you're panicking.

maligne
08-04-2008, 03:44 PM
i scared myself pretty good when i took a spill in the Maligne R. a couple years ago. that water is fast and cold.

dodger
08-04-2008, 05:25 PM
5 years ago my best friend went under on the Bow and if it wasn't for some people on shore that went out and dragged him in he was a goner. He passed out under water and only remembers the ambulance crew working on him. It doesn't get much closer than that.
Dodger.

Chironomid
08-04-2008, 07:30 PM
I took a spill in the North Ram last week, not in deep water but i banged my knee up and it is scary. Not to mention if it's windy you get pretty chilly pretty fast. Did a little risky wading/crossing today on the Highwood through some pretty fast water with slippery boulders, had one of us fallen and banged our heads it would be lights out and maybe for good. I knew there was a reason I mostly stay on the stillwaters.