PDA

View Full Version : Dogs and fishing???!!!

MtnGiant
06-09-2013, 08:52 AM
How many times have you been fishing and someone comes by w/ off leash dogs and is playing w/ them in the water in an obviously active fishing area?

Do you say something to the owner or just shake your head and move on?

I fish w/ my dog, but he is leashed to my hip or the lil woman has him on leash on the bank. He is not allowed in the water when I'm fishing. I'll let him in to have a drink in a non active area, or at the end of the day I will let him off leash for a fun run and play in the water.....but only if I dont see people for miles in all directions.

So...what's your take on dogs while fishing?

AppleJax
06-09-2013, 08:58 AM
As disrespectful as it is, they have every right to the water as you do. A few carefully chosen words and they might get the hint. Kind of a tricky situation. Not the first thread of this sort, likely not the last.

jwloco
06-09-2013, 09:00 AM
It all depends on where I am fishing. If I am fishing the NSR by Hermitage I cant really have an isue with it as I am fishing in an off leash dog park. If I am out at the lake or not near an approved Off leash area it is just plain rude and unacceptable and I will speak up.

Being upset at a dog owner for letting their dog play in the off leash area is about the same as complaining that the traffic is to heavy and loud when you are fishing under a bridge.

All in all know where you are fishing and know what to expect and if you cant tolerate it, dont fish there.

tight line
06-09-2013, 09:06 AM
See first two posts! Lol

MtnGiant
06-09-2013, 09:08 AM
See first two posts! Lol

Geee thanks....I might have missed em if you didnt point it out LOL

jaystev
06-09-2013, 09:31 AM
I take my dog everywhere and shes always going in to cool off. Ive fished with her and without and the only time its made a difference is when trout fishing. In the river there is so much activity that i really dont think the fish care. I fished right in the middle of laurier a while back and had one of my best days ever. And there were a minimum of five dogs splashing around at anytime. I hooked into that sturgeon with Quila floating in the river not 15 ft away. I dont condone throwing sticks and what not but a dog cooling off is no big deal.

Stewie
06-09-2013, 09:37 AM
Find a spot off the main trail...:thinking-006:

There are so many spots to fish on the NSR it makes me laugh when I see people fishing at off leash areas

Geezle
06-09-2013, 10:01 AM
Find a spot off the main trail...:thinking-006:

There are so many spots to fish on the NSR it makes me laugh when I see people fishing at off leash areas

One of my favorite spots on the NSR is in an off leash area...the only thing is I'm still out of the way enough that I rarely see dogs, and even less often their owners :)

Stewie
06-09-2013, 10:08 AM
One of my favorite spots on the NSR is in an off leash area...the only thing is I'm still out of the way enough that I rarely see dogs, and even less often their owners :)

Yeah off the main trail for sure, there are great spots...At the same time you can't get upset if a dog splashes into the water

Wild&Free
06-09-2013, 11:05 AM
I don't see a problem with it. About the only issue that comes to my mind is the expressing of concern for hooking a dog on a back cast or in the water. Few simple words with the dog owner and that shouldn't be an issue at all.

BTW, in case you missed it, the first 2 posts sums it up for the most part

Buck Krazy
06-09-2013, 11:19 AM
Get over it!

danger7
06-09-2013, 12:04 PM
I was at a spot on a river far from the beaten path waist deep fishing and had humans walk 5ft from me and past me into the river and asked me not to hook them with like 500 yards of river to swim in in either direction so that peeved me a little but dogs just running the edge is no big deal. I have brought my dog out before and played fetch with him then 10min later caught a walleye in the same small hole. It just sucks when you get pushed out of a spot when you were there first but such is life and move on.

CanadianBadass
06-09-2013, 01:16 PM
last year I had a guy and his dogs come out of the bush to where I was fishing " Off the main trails" his dog jumped down the bank, and jumped up on my rod holder and snapped my rod in half and then the owner came out and I bitched about his dogs off leash, " he then said ... well maybe you should watch where you are fishing " , with 2 big pitbulls off leash I was in no good place to punch that guy, But if his dogs were not there I would have punched him and grabbed whtever cash he had on him and said thank you for the new rod ! lol

It kinda ****es me off peoples attitude when they have big dogs jumping on people and they say " oh don't worry he is friendly " it doesn't matter if the dog was the nicest dog ever, maybe some people have allergies or fear of dogs, or Fishing rods that could get broken ! lol

MtnGiant
06-09-2013, 01:35 PM
That sucks Mr badass.
That's some pure ignorant human being.
If he busted my $2000 bamboo rod??????......heads would role.
Dogs included.

CanadianBadass
06-09-2013, 02:24 PM
That sucks Mr badass.
Dogs included.

Lol , mine was only a 98$ rod, the reel was damaged alittle as well, but ya, I was pretty ****ed because I just threw my first line and worm into the water, and his dog jumps on my rod, I was raging lol, but I didn't want his dogs chewing my balls off lol :argue2:

panamajr
06-09-2013, 02:43 PM
Lol , mine was only a 98$ rod, the reel was damaged alittle as well, but ya, I was pretty ****ed because I just threw my first line and worm into the water, and his dog jumps on my rod, I was raging lol, but I didn't want his dogs chewing my balls off lol :argue2:

dont try and blame the breed they are amasing dogs

THERICARDO
06-09-2013, 03:08 PM
Well I have a 170lb cane Corso that is extremely friendly once he sees that I trust the person but he loves the water and as much as I love taking him with me I dont like being that dick with the dog haha If he sees a log rolling by he WILL go get it and just makes tough for people fishing around you...

My big thing with off leash is it means exactly what it says off leash not OUT OF CONTROL... if your dog cannot listen to basic commands and run to nearest people it sees IMO it should be leashed at all times thats a responsible dog owner... People just think bc its Off Leash area that there dog has right to go and do anything and anywhere as long as they in off leash area... See more problem dogs at Off Leash parks than anywhere and thats why we dont take our Corso, He was bit by a 20 lb Cocker last summer but who do you think the other owner thought the problem was? Ignorance is amazing by some pet owners...

BeeGuy
06-09-2013, 03:28 PM
That sucks Mr badass.
Dogs included.

$2000?

Oooooh fancy. Must be a good one.

Maybe just get off the main trail. I can not recall ever having that issue.

Should this be moved to the fly fishin forum?

CanadianBadass
06-09-2013, 03:35 PM
dont try and blame the breed they are amasing dogs

just saying. very protective of their owners !

Stewie
06-09-2013, 03:36 PM
$2000?

Oooooh fancy. Must be a good one.

Maybe just get off the main trail. I can not recall ever having that issue.

Should this be moved to the fly fishin forum?

X2... Never had an issue fishing a river...

I do find it funny how many people say they would have beat up the owner and their dogs... Haha

CanadianBadass
06-09-2013, 03:45 PM
X2... Never had an issue fishing a river...

I do find it funny how many people say they would have beat up the owner and their dogs... Haha

not the dogs, Just the owners with attitudes and ignorance !

Stewie
06-09-2013, 04:57 PM
not the dogs, Just the owners with attitudes and ignorance !

It was for the OP there "badass"

mudbug
06-09-2013, 05:39 PM
I think when fishing and there's dogs around you should be using at least 30lb line :sHa_sarcasticlol:
I wonder if a special licence is required as well plus where in the regs is the catch limit etc? :thinking-006:

CanadianBadass
06-09-2013, 05:56 PM
It was for the OP there "badass"

ok there "Stewie" .......!

MtnGiant
06-09-2013, 06:16 PM
Mr badass is not blaming the dogs or the breed....he's blaming the loser owner for not manning up and offering to fix the damage his dogs caused.

How can you not see that?

His point is crystal clear.

And I see his point on not wanting his nuts chewed....hahahaha......that was funny btw.

Stewie
06-09-2013, 06:25 PM
Mr badass is not blaming the dogs or the breed....he's blaming the loser owner for not manning up and offering to fix the damage his dogs caused.

And I see his point on not wanting his nuts chewed....hahahaha......that was funny btw.

So is everyone else's point... If you don't want to have run in with dogs and people... Don't fish at a off leash area...

Just a question for badass but what did the dog do to the rod?

AppleJax
06-09-2013, 06:38 PM
So is everyone else's point... If you don't want to have run in with dogs and people... Don't fish at a off leash area...

The OP never mentioned anything about an off leash area. Just the dog being off leash. CanadianBadass already said what happened to the rod. Maybe read the posts clearly before you start replying...."Stewie" :snapoutofit:

MtnGiant
06-09-2013, 06:47 PM
The OP never mentioned anything about an off leash area. Just the dog being off leash. CanadianBadass already said what happened to the rod. Maybe read the posts clearly before you start replying...."Stewie" :snapoutofit:

Thank you AppleJax for explaining what I was just about to type.

I dont understand where fishing in an offleash dog park keeps coming up.

There are dogs and fishermen in all different kinds of areas.....including the wilderness areas.

CanadianBadass
06-09-2013, 06:53 PM

THIS ... lol

CanadianBadass
06-09-2013, 06:54 PM

I had my line in with a bait rig, the dog jumped on the rod and snapped the rod just above the reel harness !

CanadianBadass
06-09-2013, 06:55 PM
And I was also no where near a dog park, I was near a bike trail but 100-150 ft away from the bike paths. and thru lots of bush

Stewie
06-09-2013, 07:01 PM
I had my line in with a bait rig, the dog jumped on the rod and snapped the rod just above the reel harness !

Yeah that sucks... I guess I missed that in your earlier post

The forum police let me know...

Where abouts were you fishing?

AppleJax
06-09-2013, 07:20 PM

You were posting replies in an effort to take the subject in a different direction. BS police... Yes. Maybe don't jump on assumptions and you won't get called out on it. Happy trolling:love0025:

MtnGiant
06-09-2013, 07:24 PM
Alrighty then....it's all good now :)

Stewie
06-09-2013, 07:29 PM
You were posting replies in an effort to take the subject in a different direction. BS police... Yes. Maybe don't jump on assumptions and you won't get called out on it. Happy trolling:love0025:

Wasn't trolling at all... Like I said I didn't see it...

Have a cold one and relax bud

MtnGiant
06-09-2013, 07:35 PM
Wasn't trolling at all... Like I said I didn't see it...

Have a cold one and relax bud

A cold one for everyone on AOF.....just chill and enjoy Natures Way before the eternal dirt nap!!!!!

AppleJax
06-09-2013, 07:51 PM
A cold one for everyone on AOF.....just chill and enjoy Natures Way before the eternal dirt nap!!!!!

Ill have a cold one for about a dozen of you, might take a while to get around to everyone...:bad_boys_20:

CanadianBadass
06-09-2013, 08:35 PM

Right under the quisnell bridge upstream from the whitemud creek, by my self