PDA

View Full Version : Pike Spots Near/In Calgary???

Rod Buckle
06-09-2013, 07:51 PM
Hi all, I recently moved to the Calgary from Australia. (No not to work the ski hills)

I have been feeding my fishing addiction a lot since I have been here getting out about twice a week having mixed success. I have been making the trip out to Twin to chase some pike wile the Bow is running coffee.

I was wondering if anyone had any places to target pike closer to the city? Lake, river or irrigation canals. I'll take anything. I have been having success on spoons and dare devils and also a few hookups on the fly rod too.

Any help will be good help.

Thanks

tam474
06-10-2013, 09:42 AM
You can always go to the Glenmore Res. Wont find any monsters but a good way to get a tight line

Rod Buckle
06-10-2013, 06:53 PM
Hey there Tam474, have you had much luck in there? Ifso, what seems to be your go to lure?

Thanks.

stickflicker
06-10-2013, 07:52 PM
Use len thompson red devils and red and yellow 5 of diamonds for pike.

On page 92 of the Alberta fishing regs the provincial anglers of the year-the 12lb rainbow came out of Glenmore Reservoir too.

azn_rice_man
06-10-2013, 08:12 PM
There's always Chestermere, too.

tam474
06-11-2013, 09:53 AM
I have had a fair amount of luck just casting from shore! If I have the fly rig I usually chuck big ugly streamers (yellow and browns work well). If I have the spincaster I usually will throw the classic red and white or five o' diamonds. Also little rainbow and brown raps work well

Rod Buckle
06-12-2013, 04:55 PM
Thanks for the tips. I was looking at Chestermere, a few pike in there hey? That is encouraging.

Thanks again.

fedfred
06-12-2013, 05:19 PM
Yup, Chestermere is full of slough sharks(pike), so is every other slough in Alberta. Out of all of the waters around Calgary, if you want to eat them I'd say Glenmore is your best bet. I've only tried to catch them 3 times at Glenmore, got skunked somehow. If you want some monsters you will need to go for a bit of a drive.

Use shiny spoons but they're so damn stupid they will bite almost anything, you can get some cheap stuff at Dollarama, those kastmaster style ones work for all fish, but use a long metal leader because they'll cut the line like nothing.

Rod Buckle
06-13-2013, 12:18 PM
I know they are not the most sought after fish but at the moment ill take anything. They are not the sharpest penut in the turd that is for sure!

Thanks again

JReed
06-13-2013, 12:23 PM
Stupid fish are what makes fishing, fishing. The smart ones don't bite :)

BeeGuy
06-13-2013, 12:53 PM
Skip the steel leaders and just use a heavy mono leader.

20-60lb mono leaders for smaller pike

60-100lb+ for big pike and big lures

use flouro if yer fancy

I typically use 17-60lb mono leaders for pike and have never been bitten or broken off.

fedfred
06-13-2013, 09:16 PM
Stupid fish are what makes fishing, fishing. The smart ones don't bite :)

I got tired of pulling goldeyes all day on the red deer, dunno what's dumber goldeye or pike. My buddy tossed in a giant Saskatchewan Roughriders spoon just to see if the'd hit it and a crazy goldeye chomped on it. Goldeye was 12 inches, sask spoon was 6.

I'd eat pike over goldeye anyday... tastes better to me.

DiabeticKripple
06-13-2013, 09:19 PM
Skip the steel leaders and just use a heavy mono leader.

20-60lb mono leaders for smaller pike

60-100lb+ for big pike and big lures

use flouro if yer fancy

I typically use 17-60lb mono leaders for pike and have never been bitten or broken off.

geezle was telling me he uses 50lb flouro and catches 20+lb pike and hasnt been bitten off yet.

BeeGuy
06-13-2013, 09:53 PM
no doubt. i don't understand why anyone would use a steel leader

The Fisherman Guy
06-13-2013, 09:54 PM
Welcome to the board!

Calgary has a few good spots for Pike.

Carburn Park
Elbow River
Bow River
Glenmore Reservoir

On the outskirts of town

Eagle Lake
Chestermere Lake
Bearspaw Reservoir
Ghost Reservoir

Mostly accessible by bicycle. Some of the best spots on the Glenmore are just off the pathways.

Moefoe
06-14-2013, 01:22 AM
Welcome to the board!

Calgary has a few good spots for Pike.

Carburn Park
Elbow River
Bow River
Glenmore Reservoir

On the outskirts of town

Eagle Lake
Chestermere Lake
Bearspaw Reservoir
Ghost Rese
Mostly accessible by bicycle. Some of the best spots on the Glenmore are just off the pathways.

Bearspaw and Ghost res?? Seen them below bearspaw, big slobs too but didn't know they were up top!

epicangler
08-14-2013, 05:16 PM
Yup, Chestermere is full of slough sharks(pike), so is every other slough in Alberta. Out of all of the waters around Calgary, if you want to eat them I'd say Glenmore is your best bet. I've only tried to catch them 3 times at Glenmore, got skunked somehow. If you want some monsters you will need to go for a bit of a drive.

Use shiny spoons but they're so damn stupid they will bite almost anything, you can get some cheap stuff at Dollarama, those kastmaster style ones work for all fish, but use a long metal leader because they'll cut the line like nothing.

chestermere fish is fine to eat they taste good and no mercury in the lake

boroumand8
08-15-2013, 11:46 AM
Lower red deer river never lets me down on pike

oceanADDIKT
10-17-2013, 08:13 PM
don't ever use wire leaders just whenever you catch a fish, inspect your line for any nicks or dents cut it off and tie it again fish pick up on the wire leader and the fight is not as good when fish sense the leader they get spooked if your really that concerned use braid as a leader or just spool braid on

"if the oceans die we die"

BeeGuy
10-17-2013, 11:11 PM
Here, these are for you:

., . , . , . , . , . , .

In other news, braid is a very poor choice for leader material.

Brandonkop
10-18-2013, 01:38 AM
no doubt. i don't understand why anyone would use a steel leader

I was using 30 pound fluorocarbon leader and lost a big pike at Pinehurst. I think I'll be making 100 pound Fluorocarbon leaders from now on. That way it is very unlikely to lose one.

Flieguy
10-18-2013, 05:47 PM
In other news, braid is a very poor choice for leader material.

really? I can't even cut it with nippers half the time!

drifter
10-18-2013, 07:07 PM
I was using 30 pound fluorocarbon leader and lost a big pike at Pinehurst. I think I'll be making 100 pound Fluorocarbon leaders from now on. That way it is very unlikely to lose one.

I use 60 pound for all my leaders and never had a need to go heavier.

And it's been tested.

BeeGuy
10-18-2013, 11:13 PM
really? I can't even cut it with nippers half the time!

To me, braids only significant downside is that it is not abrasion resistant.