PDA

View Full Version : Summer Perch Fishing.

grainfedprairieboy
08-04-2008, 05:40 PM
Just discovered the magazine and website this long weekend. Excellent publication and my subscription is in the mail.

Now is there anyone out there who can advise me of a good location for summer perch fishing? I've been out of things for a few years and I'd like to take the kids (2 & 5) to a lake like the pre winter kill Missawawi or Mann lakes where you could pull them out one after the other (even if most have to be tossed back) which makes it a little more exciting for the little folk.

Any advice would be much obliged.

Brian
08-04-2008, 08:26 PM
Not sure where you are starting out from but Cow & Gosling Lakes (in the Rocky Mtn. Hse. area) are almost always a sure bet for small kids. Lots of small perch & also some days the bigger ones are biting as well. Burnstick (near Caroline) is usually pretty good as well. Again, you can catch nice ones there, but smaller is far more common. Fortunately smaller children are thrilled to just catch fish. Cow & Gosling would be my first choices in this area.

Brian
08-04-2008, 08:27 PM
Not sure where you are starting out from but Cow & Gosling Lakes (in the Rocky Mtn. Hse. area) are almost always a sure bet for small kids. Lots of small perch & also some days the bigger ones are biting as well. Burnstick (near Caroline) is usually pretty good as well. Again, you can catch nice ones there, but smaller is far more common. Fortunately smaller children are thrilled to just catch fish. Cow & Gosling would be my first choices in this area. Phyllis Lake (west of Caroline) is good for kids as well.....but the perch are definitely small.

Versatile
08-05-2008, 04:09 PM
What part of the province are you in? Sherburne lake is the lake here in the SE that has the most perch pulled from it I would guess. Hard to go out there and get skunked. I have heard rumors of them in Fincastle Lake as well but have never fished for them there.

buckmaster
08-05-2008, 10:50 PM
Just discovered the magazine and website this long weekend. Excellent publication and my subscription is in the mail.

Now is there anyone out there who can advise me of a good location for summer perch fishing? I've been out of things for a few years and I'd like to take the kids (2 & 5) to a lake like the pre winter kill Missawawi or Mann lakes where you could pull them out one after the other (even if most have to be tossed back) which makes it a little more exciting for the little folk.

Any advice would be much obliged.

cardiff lake is close by and there is lots of perch in there!! good luck..

grainfedprairieboy
08-10-2008, 10:08 PM
Cheers guys.

I'm in the County of Sturgeon but try to hit a different lake within about 400 km every other week.

Spent last three days at North Buck Lake. Perch fishing is supposedly good in the far north east bay (watch for the shallow rocks on way there!!!) with 2 pounders being common but all we took were a few very small ones with much coaxing. We did hit about 30 odd jack in the small bay just north and west of the recreation area but the biggest was only about 50 cm.

Going to hit Gull lake next weekend then some stream fishing in the foothills next, (anything good on way to Jasper?) then I might go check out Cow or Gosling end of Aug.

southbow6
08-12-2008, 11:34 AM
You should be able to get your sahre of hook -ups at Cow. A friend of mine has had very successful days there catching limits of 9" plus perch.

Lappy
07-29-2009, 10:30 PM
Drove down from Brooks today to catch some perch at Fincastle... Nothing! Tried all over the lake and caught nothing, not even a bite. The fish finder was full.......... maybe it was having technical difficulties... or maybe it was just us! We tried minnows, maggots, meal worms... Anyone had any luck here this summer?:confused:

Sundancefisher
07-30-2009, 07:34 AM
Drove down from Brooks today to catch some perch at Fincastle... Nothing! Tried all over the lake and caught nothing, not even a bite. The fish finder was full.......... maybe it was having technical difficulties... or maybe it was just us! We tried minnows, maggots, meal worms... Anyone had any luck here this summer?:confused:

The perch seem deeper yet suspended off bottom. Try speeding up and slowing down the retrieve if casting or jigging versus staying still if vertical jigging.

Also try at different depths