PDA

View Full Version : Yellowhead Lake

Shrubs
08-05-2008, 12:29 AM
Packed up the float tube and gear with the intentions of hitting Beaver for the afternoon but just a little to busy for my liking so decided to try yellowhead for some brookies. Never fished it before in the summer so I wasn't sure what to expect.

Nobody else in sight which was kinda nice. Heel kicked my way through the mud out to the deeper water and tried trolling a wooly bugger on a floating line for a while and no success so I slapped an indicator on and tried the catatonic approach with no success also. Put that rod away and switched to the sinking line with a leech pattern and immediatley got a couple hits but couldn't get the hook set. Lots of minnows in the water so I decided to try a good ol doc spratley and spent the rest of the afternoon and evening kicking around catching a schwack of brookies. Most were in the 10-12 inch range with a couple 14 inchers. All made a good account for themselves. I fished towards the island and all of the fish were in the deeper water with most being north? of the beaver house as if there were an invisible line drawn in the water.

Fun lake to fish and gotta say this belly boat thing sure makes fishing some lakes a lot easier than hauling in the aluminum.

Chironomid
08-05-2008, 10:34 AM
No kidding about the float tubes, I love it, mine has backpack straps and straps on the side to strap in my rod and anything else and i clip my fins on so it's hands free walking in.

Most of the lakes out there, I've found this time of year and onwards (until september's backswimmer hatch :) ) you are either going to have to be trolling leeches or buggers or other small streamers as you mentioned (ds's). If this doesn't work, my next approach is the catatonic method, sitting still and twitching now and then. This usually works in lakes that have leeches. (We KILLED grayling with this tactic yesterday).

Then if that doesn't work I rig up a catatonic leech about 10 feet down, then 1 chironomid 4 feet off bottom and 1 chironomid 1.5 feet off bottom. This always works if nothing else does.

Yellowhead is a good lake to fish, brookies are pretty similar to rainbows but it is still something different.

I used to fish Beaver a fair bit but now it is just too crowded. I've found some better lakes with more bigger fish in them anyways.