PDA

View Full Version : Spray lakes question....Shore fishing?

happyfisher
06-10-2013, 10:12 PM
I will be camping on Spray this Thursday.....im not going to use a boat....i will fish from shore. I fished once last year but didn't catch anything.

Do i use a pickerel rig with a smelt? Or just light line with a hook? Green smelts?

I really don't know what to do. Im not asking for a secret spot....but i will be on the side with the camp sites. Do i cast out real far? is the far end better?

Any ideas? I would really appreciate the help....and come out if you want!!!

:sHa_shakeshout:

Happy

happyfisher
06-11-2013, 04:24 PM
no one likes me....?:angry3:

bigfis
06-11-2013, 06:03 PM
I have never shore fished there but your unlikely to cast out far en off for the Lakers. Your better off to target white fish and cutteis .though I have only ice fished for those species so not to sure how to get them in summer .

happyfisher
06-11-2013, 06:26 PM
ok whites are good smoked....any ideas?

thanks

happy

Gust
06-11-2013, 06:31 PM
If you do chuck a p-rig or just a hook with a smelt out,, remember to tie your weights off with an elastic or you will be out of hooks in no time. Using a slip bobber from shore for whites is good and so is lobbing smaller spoons. It's not hard to read the depth of water from the shore the FURTHER YOU GO INTO THE CAMPSITE.

Flieguy
06-11-2013, 06:42 PM
I have never shore fished there but your unlikely to cast out far en off for the Lakers. Your better off to target white fish and cutteis .though I have only ice fished for those species so not to sure how to get them in summer .

wait.... you catch cutties through the ice there???

happyfisher
06-11-2013, 06:51 PM
the ice aint off yet? ....

NOOOOOO

NCFlyfishin
06-11-2013, 07:50 PM
Yes the ice is completely off but the water is very low

happyfisher
06-11-2013, 08:18 PM
well im shore fishing....so shouldnt be a problem...is the fishing ok?

I really want to catch something...lol

Thanks all

Happy

Flieguy
06-12-2013, 09:38 AM
If you don't have any luck at spray, head to buller pond or grotto mountain for some stocked rainbows in the mountains. better yet head to K lakes and chuck silver or gold spoons/spinners

BeeGuy
06-12-2013, 02:25 PM
Use a 2" piece of smelt on a #4 octopus hook and toss it out on the bottom.

A laker will eat it eventually.

A prig with #12 or smaller flies or octopus hooks with a maggot will work for whitefish.

Spoons and spinners and stuff could work as well.

happyfisher
06-12-2013, 04:48 PM
wow thanks all!!!

NCFlyfishin
06-13-2013, 08:30 PM
I have had luck there at driftwood just to the left of the boat launch and at the very end of the campground while shore fishing, just use a plain hook with half smelt and cast it out as far as you can and let it sit on bottom, you will probably catch something

NC

dodger
06-14-2013, 04:50 AM
I have had luck there at driftwood just to the left of the boat launch and at the very end of the campground while shore fishing, just use a plain hook with half smelt and cast it out as far as you can and let it sit on bottom, you will probably catch something

NC

I have not fished there in 7 years but this what we did in the same place.
Dodger.

happyfisher
07-13-2015, 08:27 PM
im off again to shore fish....just using a weight and a hook with a smelt.....anyone having luck shore fishing? i hear the lake is real low....will that matter?

Thanks

Happy:thinking-006: