PDA

View Full Version : Mcgregor tips

northshore71
08-05-2008, 03:35 PM
Hello,thinking of heading to Mcgregor res this week and would appreciate any tips on areas to target (will be in a boat). Was hoping for some decent pike and walleye.Any tips on tackle/technique would also be appreciated.Thanks.

floppychicken
08-05-2008, 08:41 PM
Hello,thinking of heading to Mcgregor res this week and would appreciate any tips on areas to target (will be in a boat). Was hoping for some decent pike and walleye.Any tips on tackle/technique would also be appreciated.Thanks.

I find it strange that not many people comment about McGregor.... Perhaps it's because their facilities suck so bad... I dunno.

Anyway,...

McGregor has some pretty decent fishing actually... There are some VERY big fish in there and there are a lot of small hammer handles too...

I find that one of the best ways to fish McGregor is to follow the wind ! It is ALWAYS windy on that lake...I swear. I find that hooking into fish is easier if you stay just outside the weed lines (which gets tougher in the summer) where the wind is blowing. Basically if the wind is blowing from the West, fish the East side of the lake as the baitfish will no doubt be blown into that side of the lake.

If you like trolliing, I find that the perch colored (bright tiger colored actually..) rattlin' Raps work well for the Walleye. Blue and Silver spoons and just about any color Husky Jerk will work well for the Pike.

The hammer handles are literally EVERYWHERE, so I try and run a few bigger Rap's or Husky's to eliminate some of them. Drifting and throwing large lures / spinners along the weedlines will also produce some decent fish... Another good trick is to use a decent sized "FLOATING" rapala with a 3' or 4' leader with a swivel and a slip sinker above it. Slowly drag it across the bottom with the floating rapala tied to the end and you'll produce some fish that way too....

If I run into some walleye, I'll make a couple of passes, locate them and then drift jig over the school using bottom bouncers and a 3' to 4' braided leader setup with floating jig head. Add a blown up nightcrawler or minnow, leech, etc to the hook and you'll be pulling out some VERY nice fish !

If you're in a small boat, watch for wind !! It can come up in a really big hurry and changes direction VERY quickly. Small boats will find it tough with some of the rollers caused by a good North wind and this is especially true of the open portion of the lake.

I got caught in a pretty decent 50 kph wind not long ago and it took me a 'LONG time' to get back to the launch...

Good Luck to you and let us know how it goes !

Cheers,

FC.....

northshore71
08-07-2008, 10:50 AM
Thanks for the reply FC,hit McGregor for a few hours last evening but quite windy heh ,one small pike to show for it but gonna give it another go tomorrow .Pretty sweet boat launch they have there :P.I'll post again to let you know how it was.

floppychicken
08-07-2008, 11:56 AM
Thanks for the reply FC,hit McGregor for a few hours last evening but quite windy heh ,one small pike to show for it but gonna give it another go tomorrow .Pretty sweet boat launch they have there :P.I'll post again to let you know how it was.

Hmmm,

Yeah that wind can suck the life outta yer' fishing !

As far as the McGregor facilities and boat launch is concerned.... It's pretty bad compared to most ! Since you are going to be in the McGregor area, I would suggest you drive a few more Kliks south and try out Travers Reservoir... They're basically connected anyhow....

I'll PM you some information !

Cheers,

/FC...

floppychicken
08-07-2008, 12:10 PM
Hey people,

Have you any preferred fishing spots 'Below' the bay (in the tail) of McGregor lake ? I've only fished down there once as the East side of the bay has always been fairly productive for me... I was thinking it might be good to hear others experiences and whether or not there is any better 'shelter' from the wind through that part of the lake. It's been so long I can't remember.

Cheers,

/FC....

reelhooker
08-07-2008, 06:06 PM
I was out there on Sunday. I pulled two 30+ jacks out and they both threw up blueish red Crayfish,hint hint. The walley (non over 28 inches) Hit mostly a 5 inch Bronze/Gold spoon. And as far as I'm aware there is so salvation from the west wind. Good luck. PS lots of snot rockets as always. use tackle you think is too big.

floppychicken
08-07-2008, 09:16 PM
I was out there on Sunday. I pulled two 30+ jacks out and they both threw up blueish red Crayfish,hint hint. The walley (non over 28 inches) Hit mostly a 5 inch Bronze/Gold spoon. And as far as I'm aware there is so salvation from the west wind. Good luck. PS lots of snot rockets as always. use tackle you think is too big.

I'm sorry....did I read that correctly ?
Two 30lb + jacks ? Two...as in 2 x 30 pound PIKE ?
28" Eye's... That's about 7 to 8 pounds right ?

Are you fishing around the bay ?

If these things keep eating all these damn crayfish, no one will be able to wakeboard in these friggin waters anymore !! (not that it would hurt my feelings any... :)
At lest 'Maybe then' I'll be able to catch a Goddamn Pike over 6 freakin' pounds ! :cry:

Gonna try Travers tomorrow ! I'll be the one trolling with the 10lb salmon skipping across the WATER ! :mad:

Cheers,

/FC....

northshore71
08-09-2008, 03:26 PM
Well took your advice FC and gave Travers a go,was a great day out on the water,the weather couldnt have been much nicer. Launched at the campground and it was pretty quiet there even though lots camping.I see what you mean about the nicer facilities as well.Wasnt a ton of action fishing but caught about 11 fish total ,nothing bigger than a couple pounds give or take but had a great time.I will be going back for sure.

reelhooker
08-10-2008, 10:20 AM
lol sorry for not being more clear. I talk in inches not pounds. I've never caught a 30 lb fish in alberta. I will be more clear in the future.

reelhooker
08-10-2008, 10:22 AM
The eyes where only hitting in the bay but the jacks where on most reed lines.

floppychicken
08-10-2008, 02:32 PM
Well took your advice FC and gave Travers a go,was a great day out on the water,the weather couldnt have been much nicer. Launched at the campground and it was pretty quiet there even though lots camping.I see what you mean about the nicer facilities as well.Wasnt a ton of action fishing but caught about 11 fish total ,nothing bigger than a couple pounds give or take but had a great time.I will be going back for sure.

Hey Northshore71...

Sorry we missed ya out there... We were out there at about 6:20AM and hooked about 35 fish before we decided to pack it in. It just got too bloody hot for the Eye's and fishing for them was slowing in a big way. We caught our keepers first thing in the AM and as it got warmer we decided to troll and began hitting TONS of pike. I even managed a 10 pounder ! :D Finally broke that darn 6 pound streak ! Heh, heh....:lol:

floppychicken
08-10-2008, 02:35 PM
The eyes where only hitting in the bay but the jacks where on most reed lines.

Yeah,

That's kinda what we noticed too. I think I'm going to have to try some of the narrower part of McGregor and try and pull out some bigger fish from the weedlines and inside the pockets.....

Thanks for clearing up that 30+ issue ! :)

Cheers,

/FC....

mongo
07-23-2012, 04:19 PM
any perch caught in mcgregor recently .