PDA

View Full Version : Lesser Slave Lake

Survivorman
06-12-2013, 10:35 PM
Hey all,

I'm planning a trip up to Lesser Slave Lake in late July, I have heard there can be some pretty good fishing up there. A lot of good lakes in the area too. I am living in Calgary and miss my northern Sask fishing but it's too far to drive now.

Anyway I have heard fishing the East side and staying near Devonshire beach is a good area. I am also looking for a spot with some cheaper rustic cabins for 5-10 guys as well as boat rentals. I have heard of some great spots that are more central but a bigger boat was recommended. If anyone has some good recommendations on lodging and boat rentals it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Hooker
06-16-2013, 10:44 AM
You might want to go to the Town of Slave Lake web page and get some contact numbers from them. I'm pretty sure Norm's Walleye Camp will rent you a boat but I'm not sure how much per day or hour. Anywhere around Dog Island or Devonshire beach will produce Pike or Walleye. We were trolling the 5 foot water in early June but if you are going in late July you may want to start with the 12 to 10 food water. You will need a depth finder to have more success in finding the proper structure. If you look at the east end of Lesser Slave Lake on Google Earth you will notice that the sand bottom of that east end appears to be in waves. The troughs of those bars is where you will find the Walleye hanging out. Plan on a 4 day trip as the wind is sure to keep you off the water for at least 2 of those days. As for cabins for rent I have always stayed at Norm's Walleye Camp. They have 'The Loft' and a cabin you can rent OR you can take a tent and rough it. Hope this helps.

TheRealDeal
06-16-2013, 12:30 PM
By late July I suspect you will be looking at 16-20 fow.

Lefty-Canuck
06-16-2013, 12:35 PM
Ask around....use a depth finder and be wary of weather.

That lake can turn in an instant so be mindful of the weather....there are extremely shallow areas waaaaay out in the lake so keep an eye out for those spots.

LC

Survivorman
06-17-2013, 10:01 AM
Perfect I will definitely keep an eye on the weather! Thanks a lot for the info I will start doing some research right away.