PDA

View Full Version : Pine Coulee today

calgarygringo
08-05-2008, 10:42 PM
We went to Pine Coulee today to do a walleye frenzy day.
Pretty windy but we managed to jig out somewhere between 75-100 walleye.
I also latched into a 10lb pike on the ultralight jiggging as well that was fun to land. Fishing was slower than last time out but was a fine day.

floppychicken
08-05-2008, 11:07 PM
We went to Pine Coulee today to do a walleye frenzy day.
Pretty windy but we managed to jig out somewhere between 75-100 walleye.
I also latched into a 10lb pike on the ultralight jiggging as well that was fun to land. Fishing was slower than last time out but was a fine day.

Ten Pound Pike !!

Nice.... 5 - 6 lbs was the biggest pike I've ever seen outta there. Those fish sure look healthy don't they ? I often thought about trolling that reservoir, just for the hell of it. It's obvious that there must be a few big pike in there with all those little Walleye to eat !

Cheers,

/FC...

calgarygringo
08-06-2008, 07:39 AM
There are a few of that size as last time we were there my father in law caught one at about 8 lbs and I caught a 5 lber. My guess is with all the walleye in there they would have lots of food to grow.

Sir. Kenneth
08-06-2008, 10:38 AM
where is pine coulee?

floppychicken
08-06-2008, 11:56 AM
where is pine coulee?

About 8 Kms West of Stavely on the 527, directly off the #2 South.
Really easy to find. Great place to take a kid fishing. Tons of Walleye but none bigger than 1 - 2 pounds. The Burbot are a good size and apparently the odd pike too.

Fishing from shore isn't a problem either.

Cheers,

/FC...

Sir. Kenneth
08-06-2008, 12:24 PM
Thanks floppy,
Yes it sounds like a good spot, can you take a gas powered boat on it?

floppychicken
08-06-2008, 01:46 PM
Thanks floppy,
Yes it sounds like a good spot, can you take a gas powered boat on it?

Oh yeah,

You'll see LOT's of power boats in there on the weekends... There's a decent concrete launch that gets a 'bit tougher' for larger boats when the water is low (depending on irrigation needs..) but I've never had a problem with my 16' LOWE.
The weekdays are the best days to go out but catching fish isn't limited too much by weekend warriors. A 200+ fish day is not uncommon on a quiet day.

Cheers,

/Joe...

SuCraM
08-06-2008, 02:11 PM
About 8 Kms West of Stavely on the 527, directly off the #2 South.
Really easy to find. Great place to take a kid fishing. Tons of Walleye but none bigger than 1 - 2 pounds. The Burbot are a good size and apparently the odd pike too.

Fishing from shore isn't a problem either.

Cheers,

/FC...
Beware of the deer flies on the shore. I got attacked by a swarm of them last year around the same time. Plus the seaweed gets really bad and makes shore fishing pretty tricky. I will probably try it again this year but I am going to bring my inflatable this time.

calgarygringo
08-06-2008, 10:20 PM
Not to worry. Water is high and no weed problems this year.
Yes this would be a great place for kids. Last time we were there we stayed for a week vacation and every time we went out for a couple hours at a time we probably caught 50-60 at a time. Only fished after breakfast and after lunch. caught 15-20 pike that time as well so they are in there. Just go there knowing it is for fun as there are lots but smaller. It is still a newer stocked lake.

bowchaser
08-09-2008, 07:58 AM
in a few years this should be a great walleye spot. I could see a small limit as it will be choked with them. Lots of fun...

Sir. Kenneth
08-09-2008, 10:40 AM
what are the average size wallys you guys are pulling out of this lake? thinkin about taking a trip down there on thrusday if i can swing it?

floppychicken
08-09-2008, 12:47 PM
what are the average size wallys you guys are pulling out of this lake? thinkin about taking a trip down there on thrusday if i can swing it?

I dunno, never weighed them but I'd say 2 pounds 'might' be the biggest.
However, those little Walleye put up a GREAT fight. They'll take just about anything too.

Water is usually nice and clean as well.

Cheers,

/FC..

Sir. Kenneth
08-09-2008, 12:59 PM
Thanks F/C,
Yes that does sound like it will be a real good lake in a couple years those wallys do put up a great fight. This year is my first year catching wallys and i tell you im hooked. Even the 3 pound trout i catch out of the local fishing hole don't fight nearly as good. I will post my results if i can make it down there on Thursday.
Cheers,

calgarygringo
08-09-2008, 09:29 PM
Most of the fish are the original stocking 15-16 inch and also another group 12 inch or so. Will be down Sunday night until Wednesday if any of you others are goin fishin.

Sopranos
09-02-2009, 02:32 PM
are you allowed to keep any walleye's? I thought the limit is 0 for walleye and 3 for pike?

jesse34567
09-02-2009, 04:19 PM
can't keep any walleye