PDA

View Full Version : How many arrows?

Hogie135
06-13-2013, 02:58 PM
How many arrows do you pack on a hunt?

Pincherguy
06-13-2013, 03:00 PM
I always take two, just in case I lose one..

benamen
06-13-2013, 03:15 PM
I fill my bow mounted quiver. It takes 5 arrows. I take the odd shot at coyotes if they wander by.

calgarychef
06-13-2013, 03:21 PM
Depends, in Alberta I take 6 on the bow for a day. If I pack in for a few days I take an additional 6. Africa I took two dozen for each bow and brought two bows....in case I lost one :)

L.O.S.T.Arrow
06-13-2013, 03:22 PM
:D I have min approx 18 with me on any hunt...5 in my quiver and at least a dozen in an arrow case that is in the truck or camp...in my case 9 with broadheads....in my quiver I have four broadheads and a judo point...after the morning hunt I do a lot of "Stump shooting"...we actually hunt three miles from camp and shoot all the way back to camp...I pick a random spot ...than my buddy picks a spot and so on...loonies stack up...lol

I always have a spare head safely pack in my fanny pack for the judo if I need it...

I shot a very nice whitetail one evening out of the stand, minutes later a mule doe came by..happened to have a tag and couldnt resist ...mintutes later a coyote came in and got on doe's trail...the coyote was on springs and missed two shots but got him with my last ...one night three animals down and empty quiver...

true story

Neil

Stinky Buffalo
06-13-2013, 03:49 PM
Depends on where and what I'm hunting, I may take as few as three arrows, or fill the quiver up with six (the remainder of the dozen I keep in the truck or at camp).

Like Neil says, you never know what opportunities may present themselves! It's good to be prepared. :)

north american hunter
06-13-2013, 04:09 PM
I always use 3. One nocked when in stand and 2 I'm quiver

CNP
06-13-2013, 04:12 PM
3 on my quiver. Never ran out. 1988. First deer I ever shot let me loose 3 arrows at it lol. Misjudged the distance twice, third time lucky. A moose I shot, the arrow went clearly underneath his belly............that was a just a tracer for the second arrow. I carry a pvc tube of arrows in the truck just for show. Now, if I had been using a crossbow, I would have never required a second or third arrow (for Stinky Coyote's eyes only :)).

Bassett
06-13-2013, 04:39 PM
5 in my quiver, 7 at camp.

H380
06-13-2013, 08:45 PM
Quiver holds 7 , I have 5 broadheads , afield point and a blunt .. Overkill ? Probably .

Lefty-Canuck
06-13-2013, 08:51 PM
However many you can strap to the stock of your xbow....

LC :)

Stinky Coyote
06-13-2013, 10:33 PM
3 on my quiver. Never ran out. 1988. First deer I ever shot let me loose 3 arrows at it lol. Misjudged the distance twice, third time lucky. A moose I shot, the arrow went clearly underneath his belly............that was a just a tracer for the second arrow. I carry a pvc tube of arrows in the truck just for show. Now, if I had been using a crossbow, I would have never required a second or third arrow (for Stinky Coyote's eyes only :)).

Lol, the crossbow will never let u miss the first shot due to misjudging distance....it is a dream weapon with magical powers. In fact one need not ever carry a quiver with a crossbow...they r that good! Versatility my friend...u will continue to hunt with the compound cuz u know it's the shizz and only in boredom or injury will u gravitate to the crossbow. Your harvest success percentage will vary but a smidge not worth mentioning.

U got the job done with compound....hard to believe ehuntr....hard to believe.

Stinky Coyote
06-13-2013, 10:37 PM
I shot a very nice whitetail one evening out of the stand, minutes later a mule doe came by..happened to have a tag and couldnt resist ...mintutes later a coyote came in and got on doe's trail...the coyote was on springs and missed two shots but got him with my last ...one night three animals down and empty quiver...

true story

Neil

Awesome story, and two of three u could have done with a crossbow as time would have allowed....the coyote...no way....compounds r the bomb! Oh but wait...if u had a crossbow u would still have had two arrows left and three critters dead....right ehuntr? This for ehuntr's eyes only lol

Redneck Renagade
06-13-2013, 11:04 PM
My quiver holds 8. I have 5 broadheads 1field point 1blunt and 1crappy old broadhead for zipping at yotes

CNP
06-14-2013, 12:14 AM
Lol, the crossbow will never let u miss the first shot due to misjudging distance....it is a dream weapon with magical powers. In fact one need not ever carry a quiver with a crossbow...they r that good! Versatility my friend...u will continue to hunt with the compound cuz u know it's the shizz and only in boredom or injury will u gravitate to the crossbow. Your harvest success percentage will vary but a smidge not worth mentioning.

U got the job done with compound....hard to believe ehuntr....hard to believe.

Who said I was using a compound? Were they around 25 years ago?

HunterDave
06-14-2013, 01:12 AM
However many you can strap to the stock of your xbow....

LC :)

My quiver only holds 4 but 2 is the most that would do you any good. If you miss you get to keep one in the quiver because whatever you're shooting at is gone. If you connect though, you might need that second bolt for a kill shot. ;)

BigRackLover
06-14-2013, 08:38 AM
How many arrows do you pack on a hunt?

5 in the quiver (1 or 2 judo points in my pack)

12 more arrows (tested and ready to go) in my bow case in the truck (sometimes its close, sometimes its far)

L.O.S.T.Arrow
06-14-2013, 08:52 AM
Awesome story, and two of three u could have done with a crossbow as time would have allowed....the coyote...no way....compounds r the bomb! Oh but wait...if u had a crossbow u would still have had two arrows left and three critters dead....right ehuntr? This for ehuntr's eyes only lol

:D Nahhhh Stinky...If I had a crossbow I would have just waited for all three to line up and use just ONE arrow...lol

Neil

Pincherguy
06-14-2013, 09:45 AM
I always take two, just in case I lose one..

humor aside, I carry 5 broad heads and a flu flu with a blunt. The blunt is for stump shooting.

RayM77
06-14-2013, 10:38 AM
Five for me. Four broad heads and one judo point.

pottymouth
06-14-2013, 11:11 AM
3 arrows...

I've never had to use more than one....

MtnGiant
06-14-2013, 11:39 AM
I take 3 in my quiver.....no special reason...it just looks better LOL

But I keep 1 loosely fitted so its easier to remove and is quieter.

MtnGiant
06-14-2013, 11:44 AM
My quiver only holds 4 but 2 is the most that would do you any good. If you miss you get to keep one in the quiver because whatever you're shooting at is gone. If you connect though, you might need that second bolt for a kill shot. ;)

This is one of the main reasons I strongly believe that hunters should be allowed to carry a sidearm.
Maybe one day... with enough effort :)

Stinky Coyote
06-14-2013, 02:35 PM
Who said I was using a compound? Were they around 25 years ago?

Paying attention now...well done, I played very briefly with a recurve one summer and promptly sold it...but would ave stuck with it f that were only choice lol.

I carry 5 arrows, all broadheads, don't stump or grouse shoot

Superdeuce
06-15-2013, 12:49 AM
Depends on the hunt.. but for a day hunt, most of the time I carry 3.

brendan's dad
06-15-2013, 08:42 AM
like most, 4 ST's broadheads and a judo.

Lefty-Canuck
06-15-2013, 09:29 AM
My quiver only holds 4 but 2 is the most that would do you any good. If you miss you get to keep one in the quiver because whatever you're shooting at is gone. If you connect though, you might need that second bolt for a kill shot.

Your response....
This is one of the main reasons I strongly believe that hunters should be allowed to carry a sidearm.

:snapoutofit:

LC

L.O.S.T.Arrow
06-15-2013, 04:57 PM
:D Really....I am surprised...on arrows carried...if one could carry a pistol would you only carry two rounds...when rifle hunting you only carry two rounds...what are you thinking???..what if your attacked by bear,cougar griz pack of wolfs...etc..two will do
?
JMHO
Neil

normanrd
06-15-2013, 09:28 PM
I take a full quiver. In this case 5. I have only ever used 2 arrows 2 times. Once on an elk, and another on a moose. Both happy stories in the end though!:)

Buckhunter,1
07-30-2013, 09:34 PM
i put 5 with broad heads in my quiver , 3 or 4 on the quad with tips for grouse or coyote

Gbuss
07-30-2013, 09:47 PM
5 total. One is knocked and 4 in the quiver all the time. That way when I'm walking I alway have that one ready to go for what ever reason.

Gordon

MooseHuntr
07-30-2013, 10:01 PM
I carry 5 in the quiver and have another 7 in the truck or at camp.
4 broadheads and 1 small game head

randymarriott
07-30-2013, 10:40 PM
I will fill my quiver with 5 and I take one that I nock n load while I spot n stalk. I heard of too many guys seeing that trophy and missing the chance because they got spotted nocking an arrow. And I always have atleast 6-12 more in the truck.
I always have one of the 5in the quiver with a yote broadhead on it too
Randy

Richard B.
07-31-2013, 06:23 AM
four - 3 broadheads one stump point

Mulemadness
07-31-2013, 07:22 AM
3 arrows...

I've never had to use more than one....

You mean you have never shot more then one critter in a day;)

muzzy
07-31-2013, 10:40 AM
6 in quiver, 5 broadhead's and a judo point plus one in teeth to cover the charge!!!:sHa_shakeshout:

Battle Rat
07-31-2013, 05:31 PM
Funny the Liberal government hasn't tried to limit us to 5 arrows in a quiver as an effort to stop violent crime through Bow Control. LOL

catnthehat
07-31-2013, 06:32 PM
Then in essence you would be hunting(killing ) with a fire arm, not a bow.
Cat

58thecat
08-05-2013, 04:24 PM
:D Nahhhh Stinky...If I had a crossbow I would have just waited for all three to line up and use just ONE arrow...lol

Neil

Or throw the switch to full auto:scared0015:

Riverbc
08-05-2013, 04:49 PM
4 in the quiver and 4 in the truck.

280remington
08-05-2013, 06:21 PM
Carry 5 in the quiver. But i always practice with 4 in quiver just to keep weight the same for that first,mist important shot

Nait Hadya
08-07-2013, 08:46 PM
Four in the quiver, all with broadheads. Same arrows for small game, big game and none game.

bakerman
08-07-2013, 09:13 PM
Always carry 6, 4 with broadheads 1 practice and 1 judo tip.