PDA

View Full Version : First fly fishing trip.

abrigger
08-06-2008, 10:49 AM
I had the day off yesterday and headed to Lily Lake to try out my new fly fishing gear.
Martan Mountain has an amazing view of Lesser Slave Lake. Beautiful.
I hike my way down to the lake on a nice trail, 2.5km. I arrived just before 11:00AM. The float is a crude unit, but I would never complain. I launched it and made my way to some deeper water, 8 ft or so. Stabed the ore (9ft tree) into the bottom of the lake and tied a rope to it.
First cast, a brook! I fished till 7:00PM and caught a total of 11 brook trout on my 5WT set up. All were caught on nymphs.
It was a great day.

Mitchell

BigA
08-06-2008, 11:10 AM
I had the day off yesterday and headed to Lily Lake to try out my new fly fishing gear.
Martan Mountain has an amazing view of Lesser Slave Lake. Beautiful.
I hike my way down to the lake on a nice trail, 2.5km. I arrived just before 11:00AM. The float is a crude unit, but I would never complain. I launched it and made my way to some deeper water, 8 ft or so. Stabed the ore (9ft tree) into the bottom of the lake and tied a rope to it.
First cast, a brook! I fished till 7:00PM and caught a total of 11 brook trout on my 5WT set up. All were caught on nymphs.
It was a great day.

Mitchell

Nice fish. Congratz!!

Scott N
08-06-2008, 11:22 AM
Brookies are neat looking fish... congrats on your trip.

abrigger
08-06-2008, 12:55 PM
Thanks! I plan on heading back in 4-5 days for round 2. See if I cant get some on dry flies.

Chironomid
08-07-2008, 12:24 AM
Right on. Now you're hooked!

Dries right now you'll be looking at PMD's, mosquitoes, midges, EHC's, maybe humpies or stimmies even. Most stillwaters are having PMD hatches like mad right now.

abrigger
08-07-2008, 07:55 AM
Awesome Chironomid. I have all of those flies in my box. I'm glad I did a bit of research and spend $60 on flies before I came up to work. Still need more flies though...:)

I was reading some last night. Deep water streamers can produce big brooks?
Minnow pattern or leach pattern can work well from what I understand.

Ahh the internet is great. I just found out what streamers are last night!

But I am excited to fish with dry flies. They were coming up like crazy at times. Alot of jumping, but also I noticed swirls and sipping going on. Ton's of DRAGONFLIES out there. The big ones and the smaller blue ones. Would that make you use a certain fly? Dragonfly nymph?

And yes, I am hooked. I am planning 2 days in the nordegg area now, in a couple weeks once home from work. Sounds like the Blackstone is dynamite!

Scott N
08-07-2008, 08:52 AM
abrigger, are you only using a floating line right now? If so, consider picking up a spare spool for your reel and buying a sinking line or sinking tip line, depending on how deep the lakes you fish are. Sinking lines are very useful in still waters for fishing leaches and streamers, along with a lot of other nymphs.

abrigger
08-07-2008, 09:25 AM
Currently I have only floating line. I have a Okuma SLV, and it looks like there are extra spools available for order from the south.

Chironomid
08-07-2008, 11:25 AM
abrigger, I have spent a fair bit of time fishin around Nordegg and specifically the Blackstone so send me a PM and I can give you some info and maybe hook up with ya for a day out there, it'll just be starting to get good here!

Drano
08-08-2008, 12:39 AM
Nice Fish

Sounds like a relaxing time, just you and nature

Thanks for sharing:)

BigRackLover
08-11-2008, 12:07 PM
Nice fish, congrats, I think that's the only trout I have not caught this year.

tonyflyfish
08-13-2008, 09:06 AM
I also use the SLV and really like it! I? bought spools from that huge supply house on the east side Vernon. I am sure they do mail order or net buys. I will think of the name of the place and let you know. I also use a floating line, and a sinking line, and a floating line with a sinking tip.

I started making my own tippets and leaders with looped ends and am liking it. I wasn't sure how the line would turn over with the loops but it works good.

Alberta Bigbore
08-13-2008, 12:44 PM
great post man, congrats on a nice fish.