PDA

View Full Version : Going to Wollaston. Suggestions appreciated

albertabenbuckkiller
06-15-2013, 09:18 AM
So myself and a few other members of my family are going to join Family Wilderness Outfitters (formerly D and D) for a weekend fishing trip the last week in June. I would appreciate any comments/suggestions to make our trip both enjoyable and successful. I especially am interested in specific types of lures to take with us as I need to top up the tackle box. Also how heavy of line should we have on. I am extremely excited for this trip! I have never been north of Saskatoon, and these outfitters seem very nice. There are 5 of us going, 3 adults and two ten year old boys. This is their birthday present and I think they'll have a blast. Thanks guys.

fishinggeek
06-15-2013, 09:45 AM
we used to fish the river flowing into that lake every year as a kid. river is called geikie river. fished just in front of the bridge upstream and always get hundreds of walleye at dusk and pike grabbing out walleye as we real them in. do a 20 min boat ride up to the big bay by the rapids for MONSTER pike. multiple 40+ inchers in a day. and this is when we were young kids. wish i could hit it up now with all the knowledge ive learned since then. :sHa_shakeshout:
as for the lake i have some friends that guide up there reqularly and usually land a 40 lb laker every guided trip. biggest last year i think was 48 inch, 55lbs. this past weekend they got into a 42lber i think.
message me if you like me to dig further into what areas of the lake you are fishing and i can see what i can dig up.
:)

Jason66
06-16-2013, 07:59 PM
The lost river holds a lot of big pike, it's only 3 or 4 feet deep with some huge prop biters kickin around so beware! The fishing can turn on and off like a light switch, we found the lost river would turn on around 2:00/2:30 and be good until around 6:00. If you want a couple walleye for dinner drop a line in the narrow section leading back to the camp. Trout narrows is a long hike but is a great day trip lots of 5-10 lb lakers and always a good fight. Pick a day with good weather, some bigger water to cross but worth the trip very scenic.

Levy
06-16-2013, 10:43 PM
I have only fished around Rabbit Lake Mine site. I know where the commercial fishermen pull the biggest lakers from in nets. They say they usually will have an empty net with one or two lakers between 40 and 60 lbs. The pictures they showed me were crazy. Its on the north side but it would be too long of a trip from most of the lodges. PM me if your going in that area. Jackfish bay is good for big pike, collins creek by rabbit lake is good for big pike and grayling can be found as well (all spots close to Rabbit).

Just a heads up Sask environment indicates that in wollaston specifically women and children should not be be eating lake trout over 70 cm. This document outlines what is considered safe for consumption. Also remember the bigger and older the fish the more mercury it will have in it and that mercury affects your reproductive organs and brain. As far as I can tell the lakers are the only fish in the lake with elevated mercury levels so keep all the big pike and walleyes you want. Have fun.

http://www.environment.gov.sk.ca/adx/aspx/adxGetMedia.aspx?DocID=90437caa-287b-4fa1-9217-8f5e5de1ad34&MediaID=bd109399-a270-4cfa-8cbc-d67f273ef6bf&Filename=2011+Mercury+in+Fish+Guidelines.pdf&l=English