PDA

View Full Version : The upper Muskeg river

Dark Wing
08-06-2008, 02:46 PM
It was a beautiful quad ride into alapeche lake, the trail meandered along the Muskeg river which was crystal clear. I was trying to remember the last time I fished it and I think it was over 20 years ago with fish'n hole Fred. We didn't have any problems catching fish, it was tough to get are hooks past the little bullies to get the bigger ones at he bottom of the deep pools. What a change between now and then. We had heard rumors of the river being netted and judging by the poor fishing I'd say it was true. It was sad to see such beautiful bull trout river completely collapsed even with the stream watch program in place. I remember at our local F&G club meeting years ago the biologist had said they were going to close the muskeg for fishing but it never happened. That being said we , Dad and my daughter had 0 success in the deep pools that once held an endless supply of eager to bite bull trout and the odd chunky rainbow.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/Di1/quaddingandfishn018.jpg

troutpirate
08-06-2008, 08:10 PM
:mad3:the upper reaches were amazing, way back....... try the "skeg" below lone tepee creek (2 fast and 2 close to hwy.40 4 nets) its still great for nice bulls and rainbows. Pierre grey 3 was awesome brookie fishing. The local indians also net that lake:cry: I caught them in the act on christmas day 2006:mad3: i phoned report a poacher and got no response. does any other fisherman, wish the AB govt had some balls or enforced their regulations? After all this is the richest province in canada.
GET IT TOGETHER STELMACH:confused: