PDA

View Full Version : Road Fishing

alacringa
06-16-2013, 10:22 PM
Yes, seriously. While I was out today, trying to get in a peaceful opening day, a group of people parked within 100 feet of my truck, then walked down to the stream, and began fishing within about 50 yards of me. They left within about 45 minutes. A few hours later, a couple of young guys pulled up in their truck and parked in the same spot as the previous party. They made a few casts, over the course of about 15 mins, closer to e than I would have liked, and moved on.

For one thing, I was a bit irked at the complete lack of common courtesy on the part of these individuals (I know I don't own the stream, but with dozens of miles available, why do you have to get so close to somebody else?)...but as I got to thinking about it, I think that these people are cruising along until they see someone fishing; and then stopping there, in the hopes that they will be able to catch something in the same spot. I was rather pleased to see that none of the intruders caught anything; while I had a pretty decent day, overall.

Lazy, discourteous people are everywhere. Even in the woods.

AppleJax
06-16-2013, 11:30 PM
I don't see what the problem is. Maybe if you want privacy don't road fish.

KWO
06-17-2013, 12:05 AM
Yes, seriously. While I was out today, trying to get in a peaceful opening day, a group of people parked within 100 feet of my truck, then walked down to the stream, and began fishing within about 50 yards of me. They left within about 45 minutes. A few hours later, a couple of young guys pulled up in their truck and parked in the same spot as the previous party. They made a few casts, over the course of about 15 mins, closer to e than I would have liked, and moved on.

For one thing, I was a bit irked at the complete lack of common courtesy on the part of these individuals (I know I don't own the stream, but with dozens of miles available, why do you have to get so close to somebody else?)...but as I got to thinking about it, I think that these people are cruising along until they see someone fishing; and then stopping there, in the hopes that they will be able to catch something in the same spot. I was rather pleased to see that none of the intruders caught anything; while I had a pretty decent day, overall.

I get where you are coming from. Common courtesy.

BeeGuy
06-17-2013, 12:18 AM
If you're an easy access fisher, enjoy the company.

If you're a difficult access fisher, enjoy the solitude.

aka

You get what you pay for.

AppleJax
06-17-2013, 12:28 AM
If you're an easy access fisher, enjoy the company.

If you're a difficult access fisher, enjoy the solitude.

aka

You get what you pay for.

Yup, sounds to me like he worked just as hard for it as the other people, maybe had more patience however... If they were fishing in my casting range and crossing lines, different story. Go for a hike...

Pincherguy
06-17-2013, 06:27 AM
Fifty yards isn't that close in my opinion, probably would have a hard time hitting them with a rock. That's a long shot with a bow.:scared0018:

Calgaryguy1977
06-17-2013, 06:33 AM
I agree there's an unwritten etiquette. I will often times ask someone if they mind if I throw in there or move a bit further. I will only do this though if there isn't much space. That said, I dont have a problem with people close to me as long as they arent disturbing my water and crossing lines or throwing rocks in the water etc.

Lornce
06-17-2013, 07:37 AM
A stretch of the legs will usually put you into better fishing and more solitude.

Wild&Free
06-17-2013, 07:53 AM
So I drive down to a spot on the river that has easy access, I park and walk down to shore, and low and behold more people show up behind me. They were so rude, didn't they see my truck parked at the easy access site, don't they know that once there's one fisherman on the shore you should move at least 6km away from him to avoid disturbing any fish that might move up or down stream towards him. Some people just have no etiquette what so ever.

I know I don't own the river, but sheesh, when I drive and park right beside the river everyone should know that this spot is taken and go find their own. It's not like there aren't other spots to go and fish where you can just drive up to shore and be at a decent fishing hole.

I've walked 6km into a fishing hole only to have boats show up and drag their anchors over the entire hole twice before they managed to catch bottom, only to have to reposition because they didn't like the middle of the hole and rather have the tail end. That's something to complain about, but someone driving to the same spot your at and keeping there distance. Seriously :snapoutofit:

jungleboy
06-17-2013, 08:04 AM
So you were fishing near a road and you didn't like the fact that someone else was fishing near a road? Really?
I remember as a kid going salmon fishing in Ontario and there would be 50 guys fishing on a 100 yrd stretch of river. Someone would call "fish on" and everyone near him would reel in and give room to work till he either landed or lost it. then they would continue on as before. Sportsmen getting along and even(god forbid) encouraging and helping each other out. A lost art perhaps.

Geezle
06-17-2013, 08:06 AM
Seriously? :rolleyes:

Winch101
06-17-2013, 08:11 AM
Go to Lockport on a Saturday in June ...You then will see contact fishing at its best .. Like fishing at the stampede exhibition...I am sure our esteemed mod has been BB.....The united nations ,fabulous ....

Wild&Free
06-17-2013, 08:19 AM
I always think of Idiot Rock in Moricetown when I see posts like there. Or the Kitimat River, or Ferry Island in Terrace... Motown is the worst but I haven't seen a river in AB crowded like I've seen those places. Wish I had a picture to show you all what I'm talking about, but just imagine 10-12 people standing shoulder to shoulder on a ledge 50' above the river all casting 9-11' rods with 6-10oz of weight attached. And when someone hooks into a fish, no one reels in and most don't move for you to climb down to the river and land your fish.

Norman
06-17-2013, 08:39 AM
Go to Lockport on a Saturday in June ...You then will see contact fishing at its best .. Like fishing at the stampede exhibition...I am sure our esteemed mod has been BB.....The united nations ,fabulous ....

I've been there! And boy you're not kidding , actually managed to catch a catfish there one day and when I released it i swear I saw some people tear up. Went twice and will probably never go again

coppercarbide
06-17-2013, 08:51 AM

AppleJax
06-17-2013, 08:53 AM
Ohhhh to be combat fishing on Campbell River at the logging bridge. Those who have been know what I'm talking about...This picture was taken on a good day...

Truck Norris
06-17-2013, 12:40 PM
Go to Lockport on a Saturday in June ....

I forgot all about that place for good reason, as I did indeed fish it on a Saturday in June back in 1989. I was babied by secluded fishing on the Elk River and it's tribs in my youth. My cousin invited me to fish at Lockport and one day was enough for me as I witnessed a yelling match between two men over fishing space.

Whenever I come across other fisherman at a spot on the river, I've never felt the need to cozy-up to them to fish a good hole. I'm confident enough in my fishing abilities to fish other stretches of the river and catch fish. Part of the enjoyment of fishing is to walk amongst the beautiful scenery and cover a lot of the river.

Snoik
06-17-2013, 12:47 PM
I always think of Idiot Rock in Moricetown when I see posts like there. Or the Kitimat River, or Ferry Island in Terrace... Motown is the worst but I haven't seen a river in AB crowded like I've seen those places. Wish I had a picture to show you all what I'm talking about, but just imagine 10-12 people standing shoulder to shoulder on a ledge 50' above the river all casting 9-11' rods with 6-10oz of weight attached. And when someone hooks into a fish, no one reels in and most don't move for you to climb down to the river and land your fish.

lol ferry island was absolutley terrible last year when i went, there was very little shoreline do to the high river and it seemed like everyone wanted to fish the north end of the island

Icatchfish
06-17-2013, 12:54 PM
so you wanna tell me that 50 to a 100 yards is too close for your comfort. don't road fish then. go to any stocked pond or easy fishing spot and you'll have people fishing 10 feet from you. 50 yards is plenty stop crying

Chief16
06-17-2013, 12:56 PM
Sportsmen getting along and even(god forbid) encouraging and helping each other out. A lost art perhaps.

I could not agree with you more. When I first started fishing people would be appalled if I asked them a general area of a decent place to fish

Who Da Fisherman
06-17-2013, 10:48 PM

Hmmm must have found a new quiet area off of they road, good luck on the new spot.

Speckle55
06-17-2013, 11:08 PM
its just fishing I don't worry about how close you come

here is Alaska

and a video of a guy that wanted to be left alone and not be bothered

David:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-ca0Oq3IMQ&feature=player_embedded#!

AppleJax
06-17-2013, 11:22 PM
its just fishing I don't worry about how close you come

here is Alaska

and a video of a guy that wanted to be left alone and not be bothered

David:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-ca0Oq3IMQ&feature=player_embedded#!
Wow, that is sad....