PDA

View Full Version : Pierce Lake Lakers?

350 mag
06-17-2013, 06:36 AM
Will be at M.L.P.P first week of July, plan on fishing Lac Des Isles for Walleye in mornings.

What time is best time to fish lakers at Pierce, afternoon???

Will they be shallow that time of year.

I have Walker Deeper divers so I can fish deeper if need be.

I am guessing with later Spring we had this year they still might only be 30-40 ft deep?

Can you buy anchoives at Cold Lake?

dodgeboy1979
06-17-2013, 01:30 PM
you might as well fish for walleye at pierce too, they have real nice ones in that lake. You can buy anchovies at Exsile outdoors in Cold lake. The lakers will be in anywhere from 20-40ft right now, i usually fish up where the cold river comes into the lake.

keep6matt
06-17-2013, 02:05 PM
Lac Des Isle has MONSTER perch, I have seen two caught there that I thought were walleye in the net, and no exaggeration that they must have been 18"+ and close to the 3 lb mark, I have never in my life have seen such huge perch, try Rangers bay and I would bet that if you ran small silver smile blade rigs on bottom bouncers you would slay them!! Take some pics and tight lines!

EZM
06-17-2013, 09:12 PM
We were at pierce last weekend - Lakers on surface and down 80 feet - take your pick - they are still moving around.

Hooked many on surface with red devils and on dipsys (with dodger and spoons).

go tot he cold river inlet - find 45 to 60 feet of water and jig away - caught a real nice one out there on a buzz bomb.

Laker time is the crack of dawn - best fishing 5:45 am until 8:30 am. Slows down after that.

350 mag
06-18-2013, 02:44 PM
We were at pierce last weekend - Lakers on surface and down 80 feet - take your pick - they are still moving around.

Hooked many on surface with red devils and on dipsys (with dodger and spoons).

go tot he cold river inlet - find 45 to 60 feet of water and jig away - caught a real nice one out there on a buzz bomb.

Laker time is the crack of dawn - best fishing 5:45 am until 8:30 am. Slows down after that.

That suits me just fine...I am an early riser...usually up by 5 AM when we stay at the cabin...sometimes earlier.

I will for sure bring my jigging rods and some tube baits...maybe even some sucker belly but honestly this winter we did just fine with jumbo minnows and smelts for lakers ice fishing.

Thanx for the tips.guys...

I am leaving my boat at the cabin and making a couple of trips out there this summer...hopefully 1st week of July and 3rd Week.

I live up by Flin Flon so Walleye are easy to come by for me....lakers too....but just like the challenge of fishing different lakes and enjoying lakes I don't normally fish on.

Lac Des Isle walleye is always a GREAT challenge but fun when you catch em, but usually let them all go.

Also like to goto to Mistohay at least once but haven't been there in a few years....

AK47
06-18-2013, 05:13 PM
Good luck and please post report. I will be there from July 16-24 as well.

Teamprotz
06-18-2013, 06:22 PM
Why in gods name , if you live in Flin Flon , would you fish lakers at Pierce ?

350 mag
06-18-2013, 07:31 PM

?..because pierce lake is close to where our family cabin is lac des isles...I also wouldn't' mind trying Cold lake.....and YESwe do have a few good trout fisheries up here:sHa_shakeshout:

I have never been to Pierce so I would like to try it, fishing for Trout up here really isn't't that much of a challenge...I also like to fish with relatives I only see when we meet up at the cabin.

Teamprotz
06-19-2013, 03:25 PM
Missed the last 2 years , but the last 13 years Athapap was the spring destination. Really miss it. Learned from the best up there . Use the same techniques at Cold lake plus downriggers. Never fished Pierce but have always noticed fish are a smaller average than Cold. ( by reports and pictures ) Will be at Lac des Iles again at Big Island cove for 5 days starting onthe 7th of July. Always find walleye , but would love to get the kids into some big perch.

EZM
06-19-2013, 04:08 PM
There are still some decent lakers in Pierce. Maybe not like cold lake or minnewanka, but enough to keep you interested and amused.

Caught on a buzz bomb jiggin' in 55 a few weeks ago.

Teamprotz
06-19-2013, 05:44 PM
Yes that is nice , like the stylin pic too.

ganderblaster
06-19-2013, 10:43 PM

X2 lol! I'm jealous.

BeeGuy
06-19-2013, 11:53 PM
There are still some decent lakers in Pierce. Maybe not like cold lake or minnewanka, but enough to keep you interested and amused.

Caught on a buzz bomb jiggin' in 55 a few weeks ago.

nice snacks

and boat

fish is ok too ;)

350 mag
06-20-2013, 06:31 AM
X2 lol! I'm jealous.

There are more than a few people in Flin Flon take their fisheries for granted, and there are alot of slobs living up here too, they leave their *(&^*&*% garbage all over the place. That being said there are alot of good outdoorsmen up here as well.

I have 4 boats and 4 motors, 3 of them at remote lakes that I quad into. Also have 1 permanent 8x12 insulated ice shack( on lake Athapap), 1 coquette shack and a 6x12 portable and probably do more ice-fishing than open water fishing. Ice fishing starts in late Nov. and runs till end of April.

I only goto the family cabin once or twice a year so it is nice to enjoy those lakes when I am there....and they are better looked after, just not as many fish because more pressure.

Lac Des Isles and Cold Lake are as good as any lake that I have seen up here as far as water quality and beaches go, and there are WAAAAY less mosquitos, horse flys, and sand flys. There just aren't as much fish...

350 mag
07-27-2013, 06:49 AM
Just got back from Lac Des Isles.

Never made it out to Pierce.

We were only there for a week, and between visiting and crappy weather(cold fronts) didn't have time for Laker fishing.

We only fished on Lac Des Isles because I was able to use inlaws boat lift at cabin which was major convenience(especially if you have ever launched at the government dock, it is still crappy).

Did OK for Walleyes but not too many others were catching....fish seemed very negative and would only tap the bait(cold front)....caught all mine trolling and landed about 1 fish per 4-5 bites. Evening was better than mornings.

We only kept 6 walleyes all week the rest went back....I kept some pike for our fish fries because they are fine to eat out of this lake. Never caught any larger Pike but never went after them either...mostly 3 lbers we caught on bottom bouncers.

They should drop the limit on M.L.P.P to 1 Walleye and also Keeley and Canoe(heard these lakes are getting POUNDED).

Also should have slot limits of nothing over 22 inchs being kept, heard stories of a few HUGE spawners hitting the filleting table....:angry3: When are people going to learn that when they kill a huge walleye they are killing thousands of potential fish for their next visit???

Had my camera with me and never found and major schools...pockets of 2-3 fish and maybe only 2-3 groups on a structure so not sure what to think about Walleye population?

Seen more suckers than Walleye???

I have used camera before on Lac Des Isles but this time I used camera more than I actually fished...and there is some amazing structure on that lake. Boulders half the size of a boat and clear water. Found some large cabbage weed beds with boulders and DEEP water drop offs close by but almost ZERO fish in the cabbage 12-15 feet deep?

Hopefully SERM keeps stocking it and reduces the limits and actually starts checking people....I did see one boat that behave suspiciously....they were catching some Walleye...then left....went to Murray Dole and were back less than 1/2 hour later....was this a run to the toilet or take some fish in to camp and come back out???

Beautiful lake...o.k fishing, but I am glad I live up north and on the other side of the province.

moosehead7
07-27-2013, 09:31 AM
They should drop the limit on M.L.P.P to 1 Walleye and also Keeley and Canoe(heard these lakes are getting POUNDED).

they should tell the natives to put their nets up,maybe then the walleye would rebound in Canoe and Keeley lake,

AppleJax
07-27-2013, 10:36 AM
I like filleting the big fish because then you only need one fish compared to three so its less work.

350 mag
07-27-2013, 11:21 AM

they should tell the natives to put their nets up,maybe then the walleye would rebound in Canoe and Keeley lake,

Not trying to start a pizzing match here.....but NO-ONE needs to fill their freezer with game fish, 1st nations or anyone else.

I fish on lakes like Jan,Deschaumbault, Amisk....all of which are netted by 1st Nations and the walleye are fine on those lakes....?

If there are 4 people on a fishing trip 1 walleye each is enough for shore lunch or supper.

58thecat
07-27-2013, 11:32 AM
X2 lol! I'm jealous.

Yep me too cuz just down the road is Jan Lake which is one of my favorite lakes...Pierce lake the lakers are spread out and at different depths so adjust accordingly and have fun...

350 mag
07-27-2013, 12:23 PM
Yep me too cuz just down the road is Jan Lake which is one of my favorite lakes...Pierce lake the lakers are spread out and at different depths so adjust accordingly and have fun...

Yes, is a VERY good producing lake....but I have fished BETTER lakes than Jan....:sHa_shakeshout:

saskpikeman
07-28-2013, 01:00 PM
I agree with that... even two wallys none over 55 cm would be a big improvement for MLPP, and keeley, as for canoe it is collapsed and going to a 1 fish limit in 2014, too little to late. Keeley will be next and collapse i would guess, its a year rounding pounding not the two weeks of commercial fishing.