PDA

View Full Version : Taking people fishing

GoodTimeFishing
06-17-2013, 03:09 PM
Hey there. I was just wondering what kind of licensing and insurance you need to have in order to charge people to take them fishing on your boat. I dont necessarily want to fish guide just give people the chance to rent my boat to go fishing for the day/weekend.

Anyone have any information or know where I can get information on this?

rocpilefsj
06-17-2013, 06:58 PM
Your best bet would be to talk to your insurance company, they should be able to help with what kind of coverage you would need in case of an accident or worse.

Wes_G
06-17-2013, 07:03 PM
Better make sure that the people you would be charging to take fishing know exactly what they are getting for what they are paying... sounds an awfull lot like guiding to me.

Wild&Free
06-17-2013, 09:26 PM
Rent them the boat. If you tell them where to go, what to use or techniques it can be considered guiding and if you're not licensed or have guiding rights for that body of water you could end up in some hot water. Not sure how guiding works here in Alberta, but that was the case in BC.

walking buffalo
06-17-2013, 10:17 PM
At the minimum you should have a Small Vessel Registration (Federal), applicable municipal business licence(s), wilderness first aid certification and Insurance (Liability and property).

There is no point is trying to skirt any rules here, and don't forget the Insurance, it could save you from a financial disaster.