PDA

View Full Version : Best Place in Edmonton to buy a bow?

PureCDN
06-17-2013, 06:12 PM
I am going to buy a bow, I've been to wholesale sports and cabellas but no place else. The staff at Cabellas is great let me shoot 3 different bows, and I'm down to the Diamond Outlaw R.A.K. package. I just want to know is there any "local" guys selling bows that are great for 1st timers? How is Sherwood Park? Is it worth the drive? Thanks

elkoholik
06-17-2013, 09:04 PM
Go check out Dallas at Sherwood Park Archery Lanes. He has the G5 line and a few used bows. He has some packages as well. Will let you shoot them and see if you like them. Been impressed with the operation since the move. I would drop by.

wcbarker
06-17-2013, 09:17 PM
Billie-Joe at trophy book, she is awesome

338Bluff
06-17-2013, 09:33 PM
what make and model of bow do you want to buy? What would you like to do with it? What is your budget?

It makes a difference....

338Bluff
06-17-2013, 09:40 PM
I strongly recommend buying a bow from a local pro shop with a range and not a big box store. If you pay a little more it is returned in spades with advice, instruction, and bow tuning. I'm sure the sales folk at Cabela's and Wholesale are nice and likely knowledgeable, but it is not a full service pro shop. There is a big difference.

Redneck Renagade
06-18-2013, 12:15 AM
If its a Bowtech give swamp donkey outdoors a call. If its Mathews or a PSE give Billie joe at trophy book a call. Swamp donkeys prices are awesome no other shops can compare.

Artist
06-18-2013, 12:24 AM
Jim-Bows in Calgary (that's still provincially local):)

bukwild
06-18-2013, 07:32 AM
I will never complain about the service at Cabelas archery counter, Lawrence and the guys are are tops in customer service. For the best archery shop with the best selection and great service got to go with trophy brooke.Just go early and spend some time listening to them, don't put a rush on anything and you will get what you want. I have yet to step inside the new Sherwood park store but I would have never returned to the old one, service was terrible! Everytime I have ever talked to the Swamp donkey guys they have been awesome! I have puchased items from them at the shows but have never been to his shop/gargage. Wholesale North is OK but the south is self serve.

70chevy
06-18-2013, 08:42 PM
Go for a drive out by Irma and look up Neil at Lost Arrow,You wont be dissapointed

diamond k
06-18-2013, 09:23 PM
Go check out Dallas at Sherwood Park Archery Lanes. He has the G5 line and a few used bows. He has some packages as well. Will let you shoot them and see if you like them. Been impressed with the operation since the move. I would drop by.

Save your gas and your time with spa. I have heard good things about LOST and am going to be making the trek out there to have some tuning done on my bow as soon as I can get some time.

elkoholik
06-18-2013, 10:23 PM
Save your gas and your time with spa. I have heard good things about LOST and am going to be making the trek out there to have some tuning done on my bow as soon as I can get some time.

There are good and bad with every one of the archery dealers around over the past, things change with each one. Take every comment as a grain of salt and check them out for yourself. I have been to pretty much all the dealers in the Edmonton area and can honestly say I have had excellent and crappy service from every store at some point but time and time again each store has redeemed themselves.

Good luck with your search and keep an open mind when you are out and about.

diamond k
06-18-2013, 11:09 PM
There are good and bad with every one of the archery dealers around over the past, things change with each one. Take every comment as a grain of salt and check them out for yourself. I have been to pretty much all the dealers in the Edmonton area and can honestly say I have had excellent and crappy service from every store at some point but time and time again each store has redeemed themselves.

Thats a fair comment however original poster asked for our opinion. My experience with spa has been less than helpful the last couple of occasions I have been in there but to be transparent I have not been in for about a year. Maybe Dallas has made some changes but I dont have a huge desire to g back in.

mathews z7
06-19-2013, 08:40 AM
i agree with the last comment !!!!!!!!!!!:angry3:

Zuludog
06-19-2013, 12:53 PM

Good advice.^^ I have had mostly good experience with everywhere I've gone (except Swamp Donkey where it has ALWAYS been good) but it is possible to catch a shop owner or employee having an "off day". I realize that employees are human and cut them some slack, it's only if the service is consistently bad or they have done something really inexcusable that I will never give a place a second chance.

With that being said, I bought my recent bow from Dallas @ SPAL. I have been in there a few times now since they moved & I find the atmosphere to be much better than it was at the old place.

righand14
06-22-2013, 09:16 PM
Billie-Joe at trophy book, she is awesome

100% agree, just got into bow hunting about a year and a half ago and can not say enough good things about the service and advice they give. Highly recommend her and everyone else there.

pikeslayer22
06-22-2013, 09:44 PM
100% agree, just got into bow hunting about a year and a half ago and can not say enough good things about the service and advice they give. Highly recommend her and everyone else there.
X2 great people!

Wile E.
06-22-2013, 11:04 PM
I dumped $1200 at trophy book a few years ago and as soon as my visa card transaction cleared, the sales guy actually disappeared out the back and they couldn't kick me out fast enough. I've never been back since and I'll never return.

schian
06-23-2013, 08:38 AM
to be honest, there is no "best" place to buy a bow.
i have been to most of the places in or around edmonton a few times, but these are just my opinions and observations so take em with a grain of salt.

i bought my new bow from swamp donkey, the guy knows his stuff and has great prices but can be hard to get ahold of and arrange a time with as he doesn't have regular hours.

i go to SPAL to shoot sometimes, only once since they moved. their new place is ok, but everyone there seems to have been grumpy the day i went in and their stock was pretty weak, plus they lost hoyt which is unfortunate for anyone in edmonton who wants one cuz now ya gotta travel or order it.

WSS north has been good, the archery guy there is great to deal with, and honest, wont feed you any garbage, if you catch em on a sale they can have some really good prices too.

WSS south as was said before seems to be pretty much self serve and pretty low stock.

Never really dealt with the archery people at cabelas.

I've been to trophy book a few times and their stock is great. I haven't dealt with the archery folk there much but I've heard a few horror stories as i have about every other place. The thing I did notice is that their prices seem a little high on all the accessories and other stuff but the bows seem pretty fair.

Those were my experiences, take it or leave it and good luck!

Schian

jethunter
06-23-2013, 10:51 AM
Pipestone Archery just outside Millet has treated me well and they have shooting lanes onsite. Good people great service. I haven't been there for a while, need to get back there soon.

Bowgeste
06-24-2013, 09:35 AM
Jim-Bows in Calgary (that's still provincially local):)

Agree, friendliest and best technically, Joe set up my bow perfectly with just 3 arrows and contrary to SPAL they transfer your accessories w/o a charge.

Zuludog
06-24-2013, 10:33 AM
Agree, friendliest and best technically, Joe set up my bow perfectly with just 3 arrows and contrary to SPAL they transfer your accessories w/o a charge.

I've heard greAt things about Jimbow's too. I was NOT charged by SPAL to change my accessories.

Bassett
06-25-2013, 05:05 PM
I bought my Quest at Pipestone Creek in Millet, honestly way worth the drive. Nothing but help, and you can even try out the 3D when you buy.

lapua
06-25-2013, 08:09 PM
I wouldn't go anywhere other than Trophy Book in spruce grove, super nice and smart people. always willing to help us out.

6mm rem
06-25-2013, 08:44 PM
go for a drive out by irma and look up neil at lost arrow,you wont be dissapointed

brohymn2
06-26-2013, 07:48 AM
id give swamp donkey a call, cant beat his prices

Darkerwhite
07-01-2013, 01:51 PM
I bought a Bear Encounter package from cabelas. Great experience. But conversations and service shooting at the sherwood park lanes I will definitely be going there when I upgrade. Great honest people there.

racktracker
07-05-2013, 06:39 PM
Take a 2 1/2 hr drive to Lac La Biche, Northern lights Archery, good line up of bows, very good people there!

Antelopeous
07-07-2013, 03:00 PM
There is no "best" place to buy a bow. It all depends on what brand of bow you are looking to buy. Every store will have a different variety of bows. Now if your asking where is the best place to shoot and learn a thing or two about bows....my experience at Sherwood Park Archery Lanes was TOP NOTCH. Great people working there and very knowledgable. I have only ever been to one other shop (trophy Book) and the service there was good but the atmosphere wasn't so great. They had all there pro staff shooters in there when i was there and i couldnt really get and insight on my shooting from someone that was working because they were all to busy B.S.ing at the counter. That being said, they do have the techno hunt...which is alot of fun.

Lefty-Canuck
07-07-2013, 03:04 PM
I think the folks at Sherwood Park Archery have listened to the criticisms and are willing to change for the better and move forward IMHO.

I had a poor experience there once and decided to not go out of my way to go there....but I stopped in a week ago and had a very pleasant experience.

Sometimes places deserve a second chance....we don't have many vendors or options on where to shop so it is best for the business owners to treat the customer well and for customers to visit the smaller shops so that they stay open and we have options when we need something that no one else has.

LC

Gongshow
07-08-2013, 11:30 AM
Where would be a good place to get my 11 year old a bow? One that he could grow into to use for hunting next year? Does SPAL have youth bows?

Sorry for the hijack...

racktracker
07-08-2013, 11:48 AM
Northern Lights Archery, Lac La Biche

bearbait
07-09-2013, 11:10 AM
Use a pro shop as they can get you set right up the first time. we also give free service for the life time of your bow. most shops are running the same pricing and as long as theres a bowtech on staff thats knowlageabul your in business. we set up alot of new shooters and kids. love seeing the smiles on kids faces when there smashing targets!
Rob

normanrd
07-09-2013, 12:01 PM
For sure, if you are out the Whitecourt way check out Stoney Creek. They are knowledgeable and friendly. I have bought a couple of bows for myself from them. I just bought a diamond bow for my 10 year old daughter and as usual we were treated extremely well!

Norm