PDA

View Full Version : Lake mead Nevada fishing

tonypower
06-18-2013, 07:33 AM
Hey guys! I am going to Vegas for 5 days and I am think about taking a trip to lake mead for some strippers and large mouth. Has anyone used any guides out there? Not sure if I should take a cab or rent a car. Any advice is appreciated.

cube
06-18-2013, 08:21 AM
Hey guys! I am going to Vegas for 5 days and I am think about taking a trip to lake mead for some strippers and large mouth. Has anyone used any guides out there? Not sure if I should take a cab or rent a car. Any advice is appreciated.

Most people will stay in Vagas for the strippers I don't think the lake has that many. Stripers, on the other hand, probably better off at the lake. :)

lotw
06-18-2013, 02:53 PM
adventureinangling.com

I was there is march and this guy is pretty good. It was too early in the spring to get into the great striper fishing. There is supposed to be 40 million plus stripers in lake mead. the landing he uses is about 45 min from the airport.

tonypower
06-18-2013, 07:50 PM
Lol ya I am sure there will be stippers and stripers. Kind of excited never caught a bass

hacman
06-18-2013, 10:41 PM
I suggest you rent a car, it will be a long & expensive taxi ride. A 5 mile ride from the middle of the Strip to Fremont Street runs about $25, Lake Mead is about 30 miles. We're headed down next week and the rental for 5 days was $120 including all taxes.

DiabeticKripple
06-18-2013, 10:52 PM
All I know about that lake is that there are some huuuuuuge fish in there. I could see them from the Hoover Dam. I dunno what species they were though

Dust1n
06-18-2013, 11:08 PM
The largest of the stripers are below the hoover damn were they stock it 2 times a week with rainbow trout. Lake Mead itself is extremely hard to fish from shore because most of it is on private property or the access is limited from the steep drop offs. Talk was some guy got lucky and got a large laker but it was thought to be all gone from the strippers taking over.
They got in their because they didn't think they would reproduce and ended up causing a mess for the native fish making it hard to compete. The average sized striper in Mead isnt nothing to be excited about unless you fish the spilllway.
They were a pond just south of Bass Pro by the Airport that has stripers that can be caught on the fly. Talk to the guy at the Fly Shop about lake Mead theres 2 of them that shift off and both do extremely well from a boat in numbers.

tonypower
06-19-2013, 07:34 AM
Thanks for the advice guys. I am going to hire a guide. And I think renting a car is probably the best bet.

rcales
06-19-2013, 07:46 AM
Did a day trip a few years back. The guide seemed to know where he going we caught a few stripers, but mostly yellow catfish. It was March and they were deep. The guys gear was pretty crappy in my opinion so if you have room for a couple of good rods bring them. Tried for bass for a couple of hours but no luck with swim baits, he said live bait would have got us a couple but he couldn't find any shad to net.
All in all cool pretty cool day nice to get away from the city.
BTW you could rent a car for the whole time you are there for what a cab ride would cost you.

Dgirl
06-24-2013, 02:03 PM
Just did a trip for bass in early June.

I can recommend a guide for large-mouth in St. George Utah (a little north of Vegas)
and can recommend against two guides on Lake Mead.

Definitely rent a car.
The HUGE population of Striped Bass in Mead, made me wonder about the point in a guide. *shrugs* Maybe because of the less than stellar experience I had and the apparent ease of catching them. Ordinarily I love guided trips.

PM me for details if you want them.