PDA

View Full Version : Crazy expensive rods worth it??????

C.Noble
06-18-2013, 07:42 PM
As the title implies, is the really expensive gear actually worth it. The most expensive rod/reel combo I have was $80 and I am wondering if I'll notice any difference by upgrading to g.loomis or St croix or similar gear? Thanks

amk
06-18-2013, 08:03 PM
in fly fishing $800 is considered as a discount price. But really expensive rod owners will not even talk to you, ever.
It is not about quality, end results or performance, it is about place under the sun.

pikergolf
06-18-2013, 08:05 PM
Depends on how you fish, trolling not worth it, casting or jigging definitely worth it. A good rod coupled with low stretch line, will make you wonder how you ever got by.

BeeGuy
06-18-2013, 08:07 PM
If there is money on the line, it may be worth it, otherwise it is relative to your budget and desire.

I routinely out fish people with much much nicer gear than what I use.

Alberta Bigbore
06-18-2013, 08:09 PM
I notice the difference between a $40, $100, $300, and a $600 rod

BeeGuy
06-18-2013, 08:16 PM
Here's a good question for the guys with the highend gear.

Does a $400 rod put 10x more fish in the boat than a $40 rod?

I can see in a tournament setting how a couple extra fish may be crucial, but for the average joe fisherdude, is it the difference between an awesome day and getting skunked?

shakeyleg02
06-18-2013, 08:19 PM
Honestly u will notice a huge difference from a thunder pole to a more more expensive rod ...but ther are also some good rods for cheaper more manageable prices

fish gunner
06-18-2013, 08:19 PM
From an esthetic point,yes a hand made cane or green heart rod is a sight to behold . Other rods have a rating h, mh, ul , ect and a speed fast,med , slow . All rods of the same rating and speed perform at a very similar level . Here in NA we get hobby gear at all but the most expensive end of the scale. Check out some UK or euro tackle sites, superior gear at a far more reasonable price.

Lornce
06-18-2013, 08:23 PM
A beater car and a new sports car will get you to the same place, point A to B. One with function the other with wonderful handling and stye

pikergolf
06-18-2013, 08:27 PM

I can see in a tournament setting how a couple extra fish may be crucial, but for the average joe fisherdude, is it the difference between an awesome day and getting skunked?

I'd bet a 100 dollar rod would put 10X the fish in the boat that a 10 dollar rod would. The higher the price of the cheap rod the less difference you will notice. Years ago we drifted across a big flat with spinner baits hanging in the water with about 10ft of line on. After I caught a whack of fish eating lunch and my partner getting zip, I was curious. So we zipped back and repeated except I didn't toss my bait out, I stood to watch. Again my partner noted no bites, while visually I saw lots, his cheap Ugly Stick coupled with a high stretch mono, did not register PIKE mouthing his baits. He would not believe me until he saw it with his own eyes. I'd like to say he bought a new rod and low stretch line, but I don't remember.

ReayMan
06-18-2013, 08:33 PM

X2

MtnGiant
06-18-2013, 08:36 PM

YES....it absolutely does.
Stop buying from Dollarama and find out for yourself one day.
You'll thank me :)

C.Noble
06-18-2013, 08:38 PM
Canadian tire for the most part. Lol.

Gust
06-18-2013, 08:46 PM
I have some reasonably priced rods ($100-150) and some older cheapies,,, if I could find more, old, light action, fibreglass rods, I'd be really happy.

In the meantime, I'll suffer out my days with my Smoke.

huntsfurfish
06-18-2013, 08:47 PM
As the title implies, is the really expensive gear actually worth it. The most expensive rod/reel combo I have was $80 and I am wondering if I'll notice any difference by upgrading to g.loomis or St croix or similar gear? Thanks

I think probably not if you compare a decent $80.00 -$120.00 rod to a high end rod.

If you compare a 20$-40$ rod to a high end rod then yes you will see a difference.

I have never spent more than $140.00 on a jigging or rigging rod and I still usually catch more than the guys with the loomis or Croix.:)

BeeGuy
06-18-2013, 08:50 PM
I'd bet a 100 dollar rod would put 10X the fish in the boat that a 10 dollar rod would. The higher the price of the cheap rod the less difference you will notice. Years ago we drifted across a big flat with spinner baits hanging in the water with about 10ft of line on. After I caught a whack of fish eating lunch and my partner getting zip, I was curious. So we zipped back and repeated except I didn't toss my bait out, I stood to watch. Again my partner noted no bites, while visually I saw lots, his cheap Ugly Stick coupled with a high stretch mono, did not register PIKE mouthing his baits. He would not believe me until he saw it with his own eyes. I'd like to say he bought a new rod and low stretch line, but I don't remember.

after using braid for my mainline for many years it felt odd using my brothers set up with 6lb mono.

Could not feel the lure action or anything.

I almost always use mono, but just on the last 2-3feet.

780sjc
06-18-2013, 08:53 PM
From an esthetic point,yes a hand made cane or green heart rod is a sight to behold . Other rods have a rating h, mh, ul , ect and a speed fast,med , slow . All rods of the same rating and speed perform at a very similar level . Here in NA we get hobby gear at all but the most expensive end of the scale. Check out some UK or euro tackle sites, superior gear at a far more reasonable price.

Really disagree with you on this one. Every manufacturers rods are going to perform different. Even two rods from the same company with the same specs, but separate models let's say a 100 bucks difference in price, can and will perform very differently.

Walleyedude
06-18-2013, 08:55 PM

X3

You don't get much of a rod for $40-50. Once you get to $100 range, you're getting into pretty good quality and value. The $150-200 rods are another big step up, and probably the sweet spot for value. The next $200 jump up doesn't make as big a difference, but is still significant. The difference between a $40-50 rod and a $150-200 rod is huge, and to my mind, is worth the investment for any avid fisherman.

I won't tell anyone that a $400 rod will catch 10X more fish than a $40 rod day in and day out, but I will guarantee this, once you've experienced fishing with a $400 Loomis GLX, you won't ever want to go back to your old rod lol.

Junglefisher
06-18-2013, 09:13 PM
A beater car and a new sports car will get you to the same place, point A to B. One with function the other with wonderful handling and stye

Yes, but your arms will also be tired from the steering, your head will ache from the exhaust fumes and your back will ache from the seats.
I would rarely say that the same person would catch more fish with higher end gear, but you will certainly enjoy the day a lot more when you are fishing with lures. Bait, not so much diference.

cornuteo
06-18-2013, 09:44 PM
If I could chime in... I have always been a believer in buying quality gear, in a price range that I can justify. Looking after it, so I will have it for a lifetime.
Having said that...sometimes, the gear is too specific for what your fishing requirements need. Case in point, I had two beautiful Sage Mooching rods, B.C. style handle, 10'6". 550.00 a piece. However I noticed the G.Loomis rod 10'6'' 279.00 bent over way nicer for the Chinooks in the 20-30 Lb class,thus allowing the rod to exact more play on the fish. They would also handle any size Chinook you could through at them.
I think the sage would have performed great with a 40-50 Lb,er but I'm still waiting for that day when I might hook into one of that size. Sadly 2 Lucky forum readers got great deals on these rods.( I hope they have served them well)
The other reason for good gear is when that day does come...you do not want to lose potentially the fish of a lifetime because you have entry level gear. Reels I own are all expensive I guess 600.00 plus but all I have to do is go to the JustReels website and look at some of the used ones selling for 4000.00-6000.00 and it all gets put into perspective.

Don Andersen
06-18-2013, 10:19 PM
C. Noble,

Expensive gear is worth it and will probably increase your success but nothing takes the place of skills/experience.
Rifles and rods are somewhat similar.
For $25 you get a rifle that goes "bang"
For a further $25.00 you have the bullet come out the end
For a further $100.00 you can hit a newspaper sized target at 100 yards.
From the $150>about $750 they get more and more accurate
Beyond $750 they just get pretty.
Rods are somewhat similar. The break over price point is near $250 for light spin rods, $350 for fly rods. Heavier reels and gear I've no experience with.
Rods that I sell at $1350 take <>65+ hours to construct and about $250.00 of parts. From these numbers, you can see that I'm making a mint.
A good example are guides - I can purchase guides for $0.10/ea. but the ones I use are $1.35/ea.
You figure out which ones last longer and don't rip up your line!

Regards,

Don

EZM
06-18-2013, 11:44 PM
Most of my rods are mid market $60-$120 bucks. I have a 4-5 that are pricey. They certainly have some advantages based on their application.

I definitely use the best lines I can and buy the best reels I can.

Jigging foe finicky walleye - a good stick makes a huge difference.

If I were to rate importance ...........

1) mono versus braid

2) followed by a high quality reel,

3) the rod itself

It surprises me how many guys will recommend the most junky, old technology and numb rods for almost every application across the board ......... I can think of one parabolic glass rod, which fits this category well, and to my surprise, many people swear by it ...........

I'd like to put my mid market St.Croix spinning rod ($120) in their hand to show them the difference.

C.Noble
06-18-2013, 11:44 PM
Thanks for the answers. What are everyones suggestions for upgrading gear. Brands etc.. Thanks.

Wild&Free
06-18-2013, 11:55 PM
Thanks for the answers. What are everyones suggestions for upgrading gear. Brands etc.. Thanks.

Research the specs that make the most sense for the techniques you will be using. Set a price range. Wander every fishing section in every store til you find the rod that feels right. Pair it with a good reel, and get some good line on it and you're set. I fish multiple brands and performance varies with all of them. I've even noticed differences in rods of the same make and model while searching for a new rod.

fisho_badyk
06-18-2013, 11:57 PM
While working at Bass Pro in the fishing department for the first couple years it was open, I sold an absolute TON of gear.

I did my best to sell the right gear to people within their means, as some people just don't have the want/need to buy even mid-range rods and/or reels, which is totally understandable.

But I can honestly say the number of returns of below mid-range broken rods and reels vastly outnumbered the returns of those who spent a little bit more money on said gear.

It also comes down to how well you take care of your stuff, as lots of folks have said above.

I personally buy mid-to-high range gear, because I find it tends to last in the long run (for me, at least).

pikergolf
06-18-2013, 11:57 PM
Most of my rods are mid market $60-$120 bucks. I have a 4-5 that are pricey. They certainly have some advantages based on their application.

I definitely use the best lines I can and buy the best reels I can.

Jigging foe finicky walleye - a good stick makes a huge difference.

If I were to rate importance ...........

1) mono versus braid

2) followed by a high quality reel,

3) the rod itself

It surprises me how many guys will recommend the most junky, old technology and numb rods for almost every application across the board ......... I can think of one parabolic glass rod, which fits this category well, and to my surprise, many people swear by it ...........

I'd like to put my mid market St.Croix spinning rod ($120) in their hand to show them the difference.

Let me guess, are it's initial's U-S.

Pikey
06-19-2013, 12:03 AM
Definately agree with spending the money on something you'll use for so many hours.
Stocked up on lots of quality stuff while working at the Fishin Hole (glory days), and still use lots of it today 10+ years later.
A couple of points as well, maintenance is everything, and with some of the major $ classes, your also paying for warranty and customer service (coming from a guy who broke a new St Croix while doing what he tried to call fly-fishing) - replaced no questions asked.

fisho_badyk
06-19-2013, 12:06 AM
Also, and as much as I vehemently hate to say it, the Ugly Stik Lites were actually a great bang-for-your-buck pike rod, and could handle a serious amount of abuse.

fish gunner
06-19-2013, 12:09 AM
Really disagree with you on this one. Every manufacturers rods are going to perform different. Even two rods from the same company with the same specs, but separate models let's say a 100 bucks difference in price, can and will perform very differently.

So what is the point of a rating system ??? Action on a cheap ultra light is not ??ultra light . See what every one cannot quantify is the quality differance in actuality is physical wt eg a cheap ultra light may weigh 15g (random) a high end ultra light may weigh 5g (again random) with many of the same parts eg reel seat or guides however the blank is of a much lighter weight. one other point the warranty on some good rods is worth a some what higher cost .
My point is the rating system exists to quantify the speed and action of a single manufacture' s line of rods . No matter the price . Some wish to have a 3000 vclr nacimushi dl prz 7'1" jig rod fair enough I know for the same cost I can get a full arsenal of decent outfits cause I aint fishin for a living . Oh and if you think the high end gear is all that check out the price on a 17mtr canal pole cause the what you thought was high end is peanuts. Perspective. 7grand of carbon kind of makes a 600 $ rod look on the bargin bin side of our sport.bolinasese any one lol.

Gabriel S.
06-19-2013, 01:30 AM

i dont think its about # of fish, its about the adventure. I can put 100X more fish in teh boat with current or dynamite, does that mean im a good fisherman?
IMHO

pikergolf
06-19-2013, 01:32 AM
So what is the point of a rating system ??? Action on a cheap ultra light is not ??ultra light . See what every one cannot quantify is the quality differance in actuality is physical wt eg a cheap ultra light may weigh 15g (random) a high end ultra light may weigh 5g (again random) with many of the same parts eg reel seat or guides however the blank is of a much lighter weight. one other point the warranty on some good rods is worth a some what higher cost .
My point is the rating system exists to quantify the speed and action of a single manufacture' s line of rods . No matter the price . Some wish to have a 3000 vclr nacimushi dl prz 7'1" jig rod fair enough I know for the same cost I can get a full arsenal of decent outfits cause I aint fishin for a living . Oh and if you think the high end gear is all that check out the price on a 17mtr canal pole cause the what you thought was high end is peanuts. Perspective. 7grand of carbon kind of makes a 600 $ rod look on the bargin bin side of our sport.bolinasese any one lol.

There is a measuring system that has been figured out, with it you can predict pretty much exactly how a rod will behave. Sadly manufactures ignore it and carry on, I suspect they don't want the scrutiny that would come with measuring a rods characteristics and would cut into their sales if a person could measure one rod against another. Most first time buyers badly miss the mark with their purchases and this leads to more sales. This measuring would not necessarily be a performance measure, but a measure of characteristics. It is used by custom fly rod builders and some manufacturer's of fly rod blanks.

pelada trochu
06-19-2013, 02:20 AM
Started with a berkley cherrywood. Caught my first 16# pike and was scared the rod would explode at the grip. Now it feels like a noodle compared to my johnny morris signature rod. Then last year i spooled some braid on it and went jigging walleye and it came alive. Outperformed 100 buck rod on 6#mono. For feel.

You will find a good rod and reel combo that you can setup for most alberta fishing for around 220 bucks. It will be light and strong and last a long time.

As you learn and progress your style and taste for performance will evolve. Eventually you will wonder how did i ever fish with that junk.

ericlin0122
06-19-2013, 04:25 AM
If you can afford why not? Get whatever you are comfortable with and whatever make you happy. I love fishing, I don't mind spend extra couple hundred bucks on rod or reel.

Lund rebel
06-19-2013, 06:50 AM
I recently upgraded from a ugly stick to g loomis. It was a bit of a price jump and also put on a higher end reel. I bought a crank bait series, baitcasting rod/reel first night out fishing I boated 25 girlfriend caught 1 we were using the same hook and well she usually outfished me. This has never happend again we are always with in a few fish. You don't think much of it but even reeling in with a bait the difference it allows to have a good rod and get proper lure action. It may be in my head but I also feel it allows for easier hook sets, at least I loose less fish before I get them to the boat. I am going to wait for another sale and get a light action one or med light for trout fishing. Another thing I noticed for fishing all day which I do frequently is the weight of the rod is nothing helps with not tiring you out after casting all day. One other thing was i coild never feel my hook bounching off the bottom before now you to know exactly where it is. I bougjt a med heavy and have been using it for everything. But when it comes down to it budget in a good reel with the rod also or it wouldn't be worth it I feel. My girlfriend loves her ugly stick but she is rocking a 300 dollar reel on it.

dragon
06-19-2013, 08:08 AM
for fishing pike and walleye at pigeon I use a 7'0 ugly stick. I have had some other rods more expensive and cheaper but they are missing eyelits and broke off tips. I even had on come apart at the grip.
To be honest I let my kids use my rod sometimes and probably do not take care of it like some of you folks might.

My general thought is that fishing rods are like golf clubs. 2000 dollar set of clubs and a 20 dollar swing doesnt make sense.

Spending money 1000 of dollars on gear is not going to catch you more fish if your in the wrong spot.

EZM
06-19-2013, 09:05 AM
I recently upgraded from a ugly stick to g loomis. It was a bit of a price jump and also put on a higher end reel. I bought a crank bait series, baitcasting rod/reel first night out fishing I boated 25 girlfriend caught 1 we were using the same hook and well she usually outfished me. This has never happend again we are always with in a few fish. You don't think much of it but even reeling in with a bait the difference it allows to have a good rod and get proper lure action. It may be in my head but I also feel it allows for easier hook sets, at least I loose less fish before I get them to the boat. I am going to wait for another sale and get a light action one or med light for trout fishing. Another thing I noticed for fishing all day which I do frequently is the weight of the rod is nothing helps with not tiring you out after casting all day. One other thing was i coild never feel my hook bounching off the bottom before now you to know exactly where it is. I bougjt a med heavy and have been using it for everything. But when it comes down to it budget in a good reel with the rod also or it wouldn't be worth it I feel. My girlfriend loves her ugly stick but she is rocking a 300 dollar reel on it.

This illustrates my point EXACTLY.

Very good example - thanks ........

Walleyedude
06-19-2013, 09:15 AM

First, I've said it before and I'll say it again here, for the majority of fishing in AB, spend more money on the rod than the reel. The reel only kicks in once you've got the bite and set the hook, if the rod isn't up to that task, it doesn't matter what the reel can do. There's very few fish in AB that are going to burn a ton of drag or really tax a reel. You want smooth and light with a good drag, and that can be had for a decent price.

There are lots of options for rods when you get into the $100-200 range. Shimano, G. Loomis, and St. Croix all make good quality rods in this price range. Figure out what length, power, and action you want, and then try them all in your hand, see what you like the feel of best. The last thing to consider is warranty, it's a big investment. If you're going to go really high end, I would go Loomis. The Fibreblend and GLX in the Walleye series are incredible rods.

For reels, I think the best value starts to kick in around $120 or so. Basically, look for the reels that are behind the counter and not out on the rack lol. The best bang for the buck out there right now in my opinion is the new Shimano Symetre FL at around that $100-120 mark. It's more than enough reel even on a $200-400 rod if budget is a concern. The next step up to the Stradics is really nice if you can swing it, it gives you a little better drag and bail system.

SCHOOCH
06-19-2013, 09:24 AM
I use a TFO baitcasting rod and a Abu Revo reel, total cost for the unit was around $420......i would rather feel the slightest pickup and land a ton of fish because of it than be on the water all day with less equipment and land only a few. Personal budget (and wives if married) do play a big roll in what you use though, my personal opinion is that i would rather have 1 quality setup than have 10 cheap setups. I learned the hard way fishing for musky in Ont. that if you have quality and that goes right down to your line and hooks that when you do hook that once in a lifetime fish you will not end up like me crying like a little school girl with gum in her hair!!!!!!!!!!

Okotokian
06-19-2013, 09:30 AM
I think it depends in large part upon the skill level of the user.

Give me Tiger Woods' clubs and I'm not gettng one stroke better. Give Tiger my clubs for a tournament and he won't make the cut.

MtnGiant
06-19-2013, 09:35 AM

Give me Tiger Woods' clubs and I'm not gettng one stroke better. Give Tiger my clubs for a tournament and he won't make the cut.

A lot of truth in this post.....and is basically the bottom line.

Skill and financial levels play a large part.....and how much time are you spending doing your activity.

My equipment is for life....so I go high end.....and find it very much worth while.

fish gunner
06-19-2013, 09:46 AM
Why do rod manufacturers have a rating system if price cant tell us what we need to know. How you use your gear is far more important than the gear. Are you prone to throw your outfit in the bed of the truck , if yes think ugly stick. On the other hand if you disassemble and bag and tube after every outing think a higher price point. F1 gear exists for the pro who it just so happens gets that geat for free. Owning the same clubs as tiger just means you spent way more than he did for the same sticker on the club.

Walleyedude
06-19-2013, 10:20 AM

There's a lot of truth to this, but I would suggest a slightly different take on the analogy.

I would contend that Tiger's clubs (well maybe not Tiger's exactly, but high end clubs that fit you properly) would in fact knock a few strokes off of your game and make you a better golfer. I'm also guessing you'd enjoy the game more because you'd be more likely to hit a few really nice shots during your round.

Tiger or any PGA pro would probably have a hard time making the cut with your clubs or any off the shelf clubs, but obviously their skill level and knowledge of the game would still allow them to play at a very high level and be better than most guys out on the golf course, even if those average guys were using top of the line clubs.

Golf clubs are definitely the best analogy for fishing rods lol.

Okotokian
06-19-2013, 10:38 AM
There's a lot of truth to this, but I would suggest a slightly different take on the analogy.

I would contend that Tiger's clubs (well maybe not Tiger's exactly, but high end clubs that fit you properly) would in fact knock a few strokes off of your game and make you a better golfer. I'm also guessing you'd enjoy the game more because you'd be more likely to hit a few really nice shots during your round.

Gotta disagree. High end clubs designed for top golfers aren't just better, they are different. My son works in a pro shop at a golf course, is a pretty good golfer himself, and has a few sets of high end demos. The heads are smaller, not designed to provide huge sweet spots. A rookie couldn't break 100 with them. But he can cut or fade with them (planned, not by accident like me LOL). Clubs designed for guys like me have bigger, more forgiving faces, etc. I'm just trying to hit the ball straight as often as possible.

ok, derail completed LOL Sorry

Walleyedude
06-19-2013, 10:45 AM
Gotta disagree. High end clubs designed for top golfers aren't just better, they are different. My son works in a pro shop at a golf course, is a pretty good golfer himself, and has a few sets of high end demos. The heads are smaller, not designed to provide huge sweet spots. A rookie couldn't break 100 with them. But he can cut or fade with them (planned, not by accident like me LOL). Clubs designed for guys like me have bigger, more forgiving faces, etc. I'm just trying to hit the ball straight as often as possible.

ok, derail completed LOL Sorry

Thus the reason for this comment - "well maybe not Tiger's exactly, but high end clubs that fit you properly"

huntsfurfish
06-19-2013, 11:01 AM

Agree.

For walleye jigging and rigging. There are some/many very sensitive lower end rods in the $60.00 - $100.00 range. A persons perception of "feel"(sensitivity) is not the same and many/most wont feel the difference.:)

ps cork handles will transmit the "feel" the best.

Donkey Slayer
06-22-2013, 07:56 AM
in our fishing group, the guy with the walmart spin cast reel / rod combo consistanly out fishs everyone.

Personly I think we get caught up into the marketing.

fedfred
06-22-2013, 10:09 AM
The only people that buy expensive gear are the ones think money will make up for everything. You have to buy things with a purpose, if you're going for big fish you need reliable gear, that $10 super special combo won't work for a 40lb salmon, although I've done it, it takes forever. I've never bought rods for over $100 and never will, simply because there's no reason to. Well... I shouldn't say never, if I had millions of $$s I'd probably buy them just for the hell of it but would end up fishing with a $40-80 rod. In the end it's skill, not your money.

lannie
06-22-2013, 11:40 AM
The only people that buy expensive gear are the ones think money will make up for everything. You have to buy things with a purpose, if you're going for big fish you need reliable gear, that $10 super special combo won't work for a 40lb salmon, although I've done it, it takes forever. I've never bought rods for over $100 and never will, simply because there's no reason to. Well... I shouldn't say never, if I had millions of $$s I'd probably buy them just for the hell of it but would end up fishing with a $40-80 rod. In the end it's skill, not your money.

Skill won't help much with a foam grip fly rod. Takes money to cure that problem.

justinO
06-22-2013, 12:08 PM
Do you need high end anything in life? I say no you do not. You can wear hand me down clothes at the bar and get girls, You can use an old 1980's compound bow and kill a trophy animal, You can drive a old beat up truck and pull a trailer, But to say the high end stuff is not better is just not true. Same goes for fishing. In our Shimano line their is a reason why you pay big bucks for top end rods and reels they are way better than the lesser although very capable rods and reels. I don't spend my money on liquor or cigarettes or fancy clothes but I do buy the best stuff I can afford when it comes to fishing and hunting. Its what I love to do. In my opinion their is a bigger jump from low end stuff to mid range stuff then the jump from mid range stuff to top of the line stuff.

EZM
06-22-2013, 01:59 PM
. In my opinion their is a bigger jump from low end stuff to mid range stuff then the jump from mid range stuff to top of the line stuff.

I totally agree - I saw a $15 rod, reel and line combo, medium action (by Zebco) at Cabela's - to say this will catch a big nasty 10+ lb pike just the same as a mid market combo is simply silly.

It might catch a pond stocked rainbow or some small hammer handles just fine.

It's kind of like using a crappy Danielson brand 6" wire leaders and going to Wabumun for just one day ........... see how that works out for you.

If yu line holds up that piece of crap leader will explode - just like the Zebco combo.

MtnGiant
06-22-2013, 02:08 PM

Oh boyeeee... is this ever WRONG!!!!!!!

I end up w/ high end equipment after climbing the quality ladder.
And believe me......the top step is ALOT different than the bottom step.

Walleyedude
06-22-2013, 02:10 PM
The only people that buy expensive gear are the ones think money will make up for everything.......... In the end it's skill, not your money.

I think you're pretty far off with your first comment. I know that I don't fall into that category, nor do any of the other people I know that use high end gear. Pretty narrow minded.

As for skill, it is the bottom line, but all the skill in the world can't overcome a gear failure or just generally poor gear. Good gear and skill go hand in hand in my opinion.

MtnGiant
06-22-2013, 02:20 PM
I think you're pretty far off with your first comment. I know that I don't fall into that category, nor do any of the other people I know that use high end gear. Pretty narrow minded.

As for skill, it is the bottom line, but all the skill in the world can't overcome a gear failure or just generally poor gear. Good gear and skill go hand in hand in my opinion.

Oh boyeeeee.....are you ever RIGHT!!!!!!!!! :sHa_shakeshout:

fish gunner
06-22-2013, 03:38 PM
Wonder how many of our grand fathers had 100 $ outfits . Ahh they were not very good at catching just good at fishing.

Walleyedude
06-22-2013, 04:24 PM
Wonder how many of our grand fathers had 100 $ outfits . Ahh they were not very good at catching just good at fishing.

Time equivalent money - way more than you think...

fish gunner
06-22-2013, 04:41 PM
Time equivalent money - way more than you think...

Lol ya but it was all junk from the expensive camp point of view. you know fiberglass,wood and such second hand garage sale stuff today. Some how many still taught us to fish .

MtnGiant
06-22-2013, 04:50 PM
Lol ya but it was all junk from the expensive camp point of view. you know fiberglass,wood and such second hand garage sale stuff today. Some how many still taught us to fish .

Wood = Bamboo.....and in some cases = very expensive.....even in yesterdays standards.

There was high end equipment back then as well......Hardy, Winston, Thomas &Thomas, Willow&Cane, etc.....
And some items are still considered high end stuff today.

I grew up on cheap stuff....but grew into high quality through the years.

Walleyedude
06-22-2013, 04:54 PM

Imagine how much they would have marveled at and enjoyed today's technology. They might even have caught a few more fish lol.

I don't see "camps", I see people offering friendly advice based on their experience. To each their own, as long as people are out fishing and enjoying it, thats what counts.

fish gunner
06-22-2013, 05:03 PM
A skilled practitioner will achive similar results given tools of sufficient quality . Quality is not measured by a price tag.
Now if we were talkibng fish that weigh in the 50lb + class sufficient quality doez cost more however were in the flat lands and the guy with all the big fish likes his ugly sticks funny how that works. Lol.

huntsfurfish
06-22-2013, 05:32 PM
Crazy expensive rods worth it??????

In one word -

No

Not to me.

ps, I would rather have 2 jigging rods and 2 riggin rods at about $125.00 each than 1 jigging/riggin rod at $500.00:)

Mudslide
06-22-2013, 06:56 PM
When fish are aggressively biting, a cheap rod is as good as an expensive one. It's when the bite is light that the cream rises to the top. In fact watching a high vis line move sideways before you ever feel a thing will often turn a no fish day into a successful one. It's always attention to detail that separates the Men from the Boys. If you're finesse fishing for walleye, use a high vis 10 lb braid with a fluorocarbon leader and a decent $100 plus graphite rod. You'll out fish your friend with the uglystick and 10lb mono, 5 to one, at least. JMHO.

fish gunner
06-22-2013, 07:07 PM
When fish are aggressively biting, a cheap rod is as good as an expensive one. It's when the bite is light that the cream rises to the top. In fact watching a high vis line move sideways before you ever feel a thing will often turn a no fish day into a successful one. It's always attention to detail that separates the Men from the Boys. If you're finesse fishing for walleye, use a high vis 10 lb braid with a fluorocarbon leader and a decent $100 plus graphite rod. You'll out fish your friend with the uglystick and 10lb mono, 5 to one, at least. JMHO.

A car antenna is also sensitive. Please look at the catalogues , the rod manufactures have a rating system. a fast action ul rod is a sensitive rod if it costs 50 $ or 500 $ finish, warranty and actual wt of out fit is the difference they both fish the exact same. if from the same maker. Im now going to take my closed face mantique on a fiberglass rod off the wall and fill it with powerpro 30-10 I got for 5 $ at a pawn shop . The go kik my fishing buddies hind end ."a good worker never blames his tools" a wise man .

Mudslide
06-22-2013, 07:37 PM
A car antenna is also sensitive. Please look at the catalogues , the rod manufactures have a rating system. a fast action ul rod is a sensitive rod if it costs 50 $ or 500 $ finish, warranty and actual wt of out fit is the difference they both fish the exact same. if from the same maker. Im now going to take my closed face mantique on a fiberglass rod off the wall and fill it with powerpro 30-10 I got for 5 $ at a pawn shop . The go kik my fishing buddies hind end ."a good worker never blames his tools" a wise man .

You're right to a certain extent but both the material and construction methods used are going to make a huge difference in actual performance. (I include weight in my definition of performance) Fiberglass is not as sensitive as graphite, period, but as you mention, braided line is a great equalizer. A good worker uses the best tool he can get his hands on and it makes a difference.

Walleyedude
06-22-2013, 07:37 PM
a fast action ul rod is a sensitive rod if it costs 50 $ or 500 $ finish, warranty and actual wt of out fit is the difference they both fish the exact same. if from the same maker.

This statement is false. The are VERY significant differences in sensitivity between rods of the same power and action as you go up and down any manufacturers lineup and from manufacturer to manufacturer. Power is related to overall force it takes to bend the rod, action relates to the manner in which a rod bends when loaded, neither is related to the sensitivity of a rod. The differences in sensitivity are due to graphite type, resins used, construction method, and numerous other factors.

Good craftsmen know the value of good quality tools and using the right tool for the job.

fish gunner
06-22-2013, 10:39 PM
This statement is false. The are VERY significant differences in sensitivity between rods of the same power and action as you go up and down any manufacturers lineup and from manufacturer to manufacturer. Power is related to overall force it takes to bend the rod, action relates to the manner in which a rod bends when loaded, neither is related to the sensitivity of a rod. The differences in sensitivity are due to graphite type, resins used, construction method, and numerous other factors.

Good craftsmen know the value of good quality tools and using the right tool for the job.

Oh prey tell what is this unknown thing that seperates expensive vs reasonable priced out fits .what you are trying to explane is the lb curve of a rod,not someting used in NA rod specs.
Remember sharkskin fly line $$ crap or how abt other must have $$ gear that sells for a few $ at a garage sale . :( some poor fella paid top dollar for it now its just meh at a yard sale .beta max, lazer disk all high end bricabrack being used to hold dust in the cellar. If one fishes at a pro level or aspires to fair enough but just remember bob issumi gets his gear given to him .the best in any feild does not pay for thier tools some one pays them to use those tools unlike the rest of us (hobbyists) we pay to play. And two weeks ago my 20 $ okuma reel on my free rod out fished the rest of the boat ?? Hmm how can that be an egeal claw out fishing a shimano lol happens every day . The littl barbie rod at dickson usaly gets the largest fish while me and my friends stand there with a few hunderd to a thousand dollars each in gear. :sign0161:

justinO
06-22-2013, 10:50 PM
Nothing out fishes Shimano :sHa_shakeshout:

You are free to have your own opinion as to what is a good product and what is not good or over priced. If you are catching lots of fish on your rigs now, no need to buy anything else.
Tight lines

huntsfurfish
06-22-2013, 10:52 PM

Agree But very, very few people if any would be able to feel/distinguish the difference in sensitivity in most rods in the $80.00 plus range.:) And there are some sensitive gems in the 30-80 range as well.

Alberta Bigbore
06-22-2013, 11:01 PM
The only people that buy expensive gear are the ones think money will make up for everything.

wrong

Walleyedude
06-22-2013, 11:06 PM
Oh prey tell what is this unknown thing that seperates expensive vs reasonable priced out fits .what you are trying to explane is the lb curve of a rod,not someting used in NA rod specs.
Remember sharkskin fly line $$ crap or how abt other must have $$ gear that sells for a few $ at a garage sale . :( some poor fella paid top dollar for it now its just meh at a yard sale .beta max, lazer disk all high end bricabrack being used to hold dust in the cellar. If one fishes at a pro level or aspires to fair enough but just remember bob issumi gets his gear given to him .the best in any feild does not pay for thier tools some one pays them to use those tools unlike the rest of us (hobbyists) we pay to play. And two weeks ago my 20 $ okuma reel on my free rod out fished the rest of the boat ?? Hmm how can that be an egeal claw out fishing a shimano lol happens every day . The littl barbie rod at dickson usaly gets the largest fish while me and my friends stand there with a few hunderd to a thousand dollars each in gear. :sign0161:

There are significant differences in what rods are constructed of and how they are constructed. Thats a simple fact, not my opinion. I listed several key factors in my last post, you can do your own homework on that should you choose to. Others who wish to have accurate information on rod composition and specs should do the same, the manufacturers have tons of info on their websites. Better yet, go down to The Fishin Hole and talk to the guys there, a couple of them are fountains of info on this topic.

Walleyedude
06-22-2013, 11:11 PM
Agree But very, very few people if any would be able to feel/distinguish the difference in sensitivity in most rods in the $80.00 plus range.:) And there are some sensitive gems in the 30-80 range as well.

I used to think that to, then I had the opportunity to try several rods back to back and truly fish them, not just touch the floor with them in the store. That really opened my eyes.

I don't think you give people enough credit, I think most people could feel the difference between an $80 rod and a $200 rod. I also think they would feel the difference between a $200 rod and a $400 rod.

Whether or not that difference in feel is worth the money to people, well that's another story lol.

huntsfurfish
06-23-2013, 12:16 AM
I used to think that to, then I had the opportunity to try several rods back to back and truly fish them, not just touch the floor with them in the store. That really opened my eyes.

I don't think you give people enough credit, I think most people could feel the difference between an $80 rod and a $200 rod. I also think they would feel the difference between a $200 rod and a $400 rod.

Whether or not that difference in feel is worth the money to people, well that's another story lol.

You sound like the a rod rep.;). Have fished a couple upper end rods and have to disagree.

The difference they feel might be weight - lighter in the pocket:)

fedfred
06-23-2013, 12:51 AM
When you're spoiled beyond understanding with technology you lose perspective of what can be accomplished with improvised or primitive methods. I've pulled out pike hooked with a necklace string for a leader with 4 lb test line spooled on a piece of wood no thicker than a pencil surrounded by foam when ice fishing. I was out-fishing guys using $40 tip-ups and $80 rod/reeel combos, boy did they look stupid to me. So guys spending $800 on rods that pull out the same size fish as a $7 childrens combos doesn't look any smarter.

I bet those guys that fish for alligator gar with string and a bottle laugh the same.

Walleyedude
06-23-2013, 08:00 AM
You sound like the a rod rep.;). Have fished a couple upper end rods and have to disagree.

The difference they feel might be weight - lighter in the pocket:)

LOL.

I guess we'll agree to disagree. :)

Everyone will have their own sweet spot for value, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Calgaryguy1977
06-23-2013, 11:10 AM
Pikergolf sait it best in my opinion,
Sports car vs beater car. they both get you from point a to point b but one gives you more style and comfort.

That said I tend to lean to the value type stuff. I mean I dont buy all bargain basement but you will never catch me buying 400-800 rods unless its a fly rod....and even then its unlikely.

To me its all about presentation and strategy...thats what will catch you fish. Im comfortable than my less than expensive gear and Im happy with that because I catch a lot of fish with it.

Some guys were touching on it earlier how its like diminishing returns. You will notice a huge difference between a 20 dollar rod and a 60 dollar rod but not as much of a difference between a 60 dollar rod and 150 dollar road..so on and so forth. I think we call that diminishing returns.

To each their own though....the real question is what's important to you?
For me that's mid range functional gear.

huntsfurfish
06-23-2013, 01:52 PM
LOL.

I guess we'll agree to disagree. :)

Everyone will have their own sweet spot for value, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Agree

N8orDie
06-23-2013, 07:48 PM
Some rods for specific jobs only come in the higher end price range...for example, it's hard to find a decent cheap hinge-tipped drop shot rod. In those cases, paying for the specialized rod seems to be worthwhile.

BUT, I really love my Shimano Voltaeus...and it was like 40 bucks...