PDA

View Full Version : tried some braid

pelada trochu
06-19-2013, 02:32 AM
Was out testing the walleye bite lately. My one rod sucks for feel. Browning. Cant feel squat with 6# mono. Switched it out to 10# 832. Definitely better. But still not phenominal. Dont get one of these rods. They are that bad.

Anyone have a recommendation for a six foot high sensitivity rod for jigging walleye.

AppleJax
06-19-2013, 02:38 AM
I bought a Rapala Magnum jigging rod MH 4"9 rod for jigging walleye last year. Sensitivity is great and the stiff tip helps with firm hooksets. Throw an UL reel maybe a shimano 500 series or a Rapala F2 with some floro line and you'll be laughing. Its a short rod but perfectly made for jigging.

JohnnyD
06-19-2013, 06:03 AM
My 7' shimano compre medium with a fast action tip is phenominal. It catches fish like no other. The tip has the perfect snap for jigging. The sensitivity is great too!

On a side note one technique I have stared to practise is pinching the line between my index finger and the rod. It will increase your ability to feel the lightest of bites.

Barnes19
06-19-2013, 08:22 AM
I find that rods with cork handles give me better feel.

EZM
06-19-2013, 08:51 AM
On another thread - there has been some discussion on the price and quality of rods.

Jigging for walleyes is one application where you want to have a great rod. fast or extra fast tip in a medium light to medium rod is perfect.

I use a St.Croix Mojo bass jigging rod. Medium Power, Extra fast Action and run a 15lb braid for no stretch and super sensitivity.

Rod has a split grip so you can achieve superior feel and vibration sensitivity.

I run a swivel and finish off the presentation with a high quality, low stretch, invisible fluorocarbon leader (30" or so).

This rod can feel a minnow swimming by 6 feet away. It's amazing.

Bound2Fish
06-19-2013, 08:55 AM
Picked up an UL yellow rod from BPS for $30 as a back up. Well this weekend we broke one of our main rods and had to use the BPS rod. Turns out it is actually an awesome rod. Super sensitive, perfect for jigging for walleye. Might have to buy another couple.

Graffy91
06-19-2013, 09:11 AM
Fenwick.

Penner
06-19-2013, 10:21 AM
Fenwick.

X2 HMX or Walleye Class. I thought I saw them on sale at BPS recently.

Walleyedude
06-19-2013, 10:43 AM
There's tons of good options out there for a 6' or 6'3" jigging rod. The new Shimano walleye series Compre or Clarus 6MLXF, any of the Loomis rods in a 63MLXF or 63MXF, would make a sweet vertical jigging rod.

huntsfurfish
06-19-2013, 11:15 AM
Picked up an UL yellow rod from BPS for $30 as a back up. Well this weekend we broke one of our main rods and had to use the BPS rod. Turns out it is actually an awesome rod. Super sensitive, perfect for jigging for walleye. Might have to buy another couple.

That's what im talkin bout:)

People do not need a $600.00 rod:)

huntsfurfish
06-19-2013, 11:21 AM
PT go to WSS or BP and handle some rods(fishing rods). Little test for sensitivity, hold rod tip close to floor slowly lower tip till it touches(do not watch-close eyes or turn head so you rely on feel). Try a bunch of rods. how lightly can you touch the floor and feel it. Pick what feels good! I try all the rods that I buy that way.

Good luck and good fishin to ya!

Jack&7
06-19-2013, 02:23 PM
I dunno why people feel they need a full size rod for jigging walleye off the boat.

I just take my 28" or 30" ice rods which are very sensitive and just jig away over the side of the boat. I use my full length 6'6" graphite rods for throwing cranks or spinners/lindy rigs.

new LT
06-19-2013, 05:15 PM
I find that rods with cork handles give me better feel.

X2 agree everything i own is cork but the D Rigger rods

bobalong
06-19-2013, 10:51 PM
"I use a St. Croix rod for jigging as well. Tournament walleye, 5-9" medium XF with 8lb fireline, works well.

pelada trochu
06-19-2013, 10:56 PM
Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions

Checked the basspro site my browning rod is no longer offered. Not suprised. It has been a dud.
The front grip kills all the feel.

It is a 6' hi power model that i run a 1000 shimano on. Happy with the reel over the 500 i had but still prefer the retrieve of the 2500 units. But good compromise for weight.

Tagged 3 eyes tonight. But windy so ill take that.

Here is a link if your curious.

http://www.bassresource.com/bass-fishing-forums/topic/89790-browning-hi-power-rods/

Kokanee9
06-20-2013, 09:06 AM
My 7' shimano compre medium with a fast action tip is phenominal. It catches fish like no other. The tip has the perfect snap for jigging. The sensitivity is great too!

On a side note one technique I have stared to practise is pinching the line between my index finger and the rod. It will increase your ability to feel the lightest of bites.

That's the one I use. Actually liked it enough to buy a second as a spare in the boat in case anything happens to the first one.

Not overly expensive and more than happy with the way it feels.

CK Angler
06-20-2013, 03:27 PM
Fenwick makes very nice rods for a reasonable price, check out thier elite tech models, they make a 6'3" medium act, xtra fast. Real nice, and great for jigging

pelada trochu
06-20-2013, 09:32 PM
That's the one I use. Actually liked it enough to buy a second as a spare in the boat in case anything happens to the first one.

Not overly expensive and more than happy with the way it feels.

Maybe slightly better in diff model. Mine is a 6' lite fast.

Its good for some stuff. But i wanted something super sensitive. This rod let me down.

my johnny morris signature kicks it.

Walleyemagnet
06-20-2013, 10:02 PM

With this technique you can also use your index finger to impart some very subtle action on the jig. Just wiggle the line slightly with your index finger. Give it a shot, it sometimes works great in those "lockjaw" conditions.