PDA

View Full Version : Rocky mountain house NSR

catchandeat
06-19-2013, 04:49 PM
Anybody fishing the NSR by rocky mountain house lately? Might possibly be going up this weekend or sometime this month, just wondering if anybody's catching anything, and if so, what species?
(Also, just want to make sure I have the right area in the regs: from Highway 22/39
(Drayton Valley)
downstream
to the
Alberta/Saskatchewan border
River only
l
Open all year – Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; Walleye
limit 0; Sauger limit 3 (Sauger limit 0 from Apr. 1 to May 14);
Pike limit 1 over 63 cm; Burbot limit 10; Goldeye limit 10;
Lake Sturgeon limit 0)
Thanks! :)

flygirrl
06-19-2013, 06:35 PM
Think you need to change your mindset , the NSR is high and dirty and with the amount of rain we are getting west of here and here also it's only going to get higher and dirtier . This is a big wide river so use caution if you do decide to fish it.

CanadianBadass
06-19-2013, 06:55 PM
Think you need to change your mindset , the NSR is high and dirty and with the amount of rain we are getting west of here and here also it's only going to get higher and dirtier . This is a big wide river so use caution if you do decide to fish it.

High and dirty is the best time to fish the NSR ???? So I don't know what this guy means , I prefer it... Just like my women... High and dirty...... ummmm I mean ! :scared0018:

Alberta Bigbore
06-19-2013, 07:12 PM
lol^

I would like to try fishing the NSR up by Drayton or further this year. With some spinning gear and cranks.

catchandeat
06-19-2013, 07:22 PM
You guys are helpful ;)
anybody ever fish by rocky mountain house, anybody? :P

CanadianBadass
06-19-2013, 07:49 PM
I have only fished it downstream from Drayton , And the odd time upstream of RMH , My father used to take us to the crossings, and fish down from there ! but was many years ago and don't remember much !

ANytime I can help , I will ! Fish On !

catchandeat
06-19-2013, 08:03 PM
I have only fished it downstream from Drayton , And the odd time upstream of RMH , My father used to take us to the crossings, and fish down from there ! but was many years ago and don't remember much !

ANytime I can help , I will ! Fish On !

cool :) i've never done much river fishing before, but would love to give it a shot. Another question too, is the water cleaner in the RMH area compared to Edmonton? I know it would still have the mercury advisory, but i'm talking more about the sewage and junk that kinda turns people off from eating fish from the river....

SkytopBrewster
06-19-2013, 08:30 PM
I might give it a try tomorrow where the Baptiste enters the NSR, was just down there an hr ago checking it out.

catchandeat
06-19-2013, 08:39 PM
I might give it a try tomorrow where the Baptiste enters the NSR, was just down there an hr ago checking it out.

awesome, please do let me know how it goes. :)

AppleJax
06-19-2013, 09:33 PM
cool :) i've never done much river fishing before, but would love to give it a shot. Another question too, is the water cleaner in the RMH area compared to Edmonton? I know it would still have the mercury advisory, but i'm talking more about the sewage and junk that kinda turns people off from eating fish from the river....

There is no raw sewage dumped in the river anymore, hasn't been for years. Wost it sees is runoff from th streets. Water is cleaner than it ever has been in over a hundred years since they started recording. Get yourself some fancy boots and gel your hair up nice and your a good shot for success.:sHa_shakeshout:

catchandeat
06-19-2013, 09:44 PM
There is no raw sewage dumped in the river anymore, hasn't been for years. Wost it sees is runoff from th streets. Water is cleaner than it ever has been in over a hundred years since they started recording. Get yourself some fancy boots and gel your hair up nice and your a good shot for success.:sHa_shakeshout:

hahaha if I do that I might have to change my name! :sHa_sarcasticlol:

bigd
06-20-2013, 01:38 PM
Anybody fishing the NSR by rocky mountain house lately? Might possibly be going up this weekend or sometime this month, just wondering if anybody's catching anything, and if so, what species?
(Also, just want to make sure I have the right area in the regs: from Highway 22/39
(Drayton Valley)
downstream
to the
Alberta/Saskatchewan border
River only
l
Open all year – Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; Walleye
limit 0; Sauger limit 3 (Sauger limit 0 from Apr. 1 to May 14);
Pike limit 1 over 63 cm; Burbot limit 10; Goldeye limit 10;
Lake Sturgeon limit 0)
Thanks! :)

You've got the wrong area in the regs, the area you've quoted is from the big bridge SE of Drayton Valley to the Sask border. You need to look up the section for upstream of the 22/39 bridge. When I lived in DV years ago, did the canoe trip from RMH to DV every summer. Best spot we ever found for fish was about 50-100 meters upstream from the DV bridge. On the west side of the river, there was a large backwater pool that was (back then anyways) loaded with walleye and the odd sauger. That was 10+ years ago so I have no idea what it looks like now.

catchandeat
06-20-2013, 04:53 PM
You've got the wrong area in the regs, the area you've quoted is from the big bridge SE of Drayton Valley to the Sask border. You need to look up the section for upstream of the 22/39 bridge. When I lived in DV years ago, did the canoe trip from RMH to DV every summer. Best spot we ever found for fish was about 50-100 meters upstream from the DV bridge. On the west side of the river, there was a large backwater pool that was (back then anyways) loaded with walleye and the odd sauger. That was 10+ years ago so I have no idea what it looks like now.

Awesome, thanks for the help, so just to clarify, the section in around RMH would be from bighorn dam downstream to hwy 22/39?(i'm pretty awful with directions, tried looking it up on google maps to make sure but it's somewhat confusing) If so that's awesome, because you can keep walleye! :sHa_shakeshout: but without bait it makes things a bit tougher, and especially with the high water levels now...

SkytopBrewster
06-20-2013, 05:14 PM
Spent more time on the quad than fishing, couldn't get to my spot, high, fast and muddy.

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee436/skytopbrewster/photo-116.jpg

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee436/skytopbrewster/photo-117.jpg

The Baptiste.

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee436/skytopbrewster/photo-118.jpg

catchandeat
06-20-2013, 05:33 PM
Spent more time on the quad than fishing, couldn't get to my spot, high, fast and muddy.

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee436/skytopbrewster/photo-116.jpg

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee436/skytopbrewster/photo-117.jpg

The Baptiste.

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee436/skytopbrewster/photo-118.jpg

awesome, thanks a bunch for the report! :)