PDA

View Full Version : Walleye full of tape worms?

Kurt505
06-20-2013, 12:31 PM
Is this a common thing? I was out at calling and caught a walleye that was full of tape worms. I'm wondering how common this is, of if its more generalized to certain lakes?

Mike_W
06-20-2013, 12:41 PM
Seen it a few times but only in the I intestines never the meat.

ricky8fish
06-20-2013, 12:42 PM
Hi A had the same thing last year. The mistake was letting my wife see them. They are sure discusting. The biologist assured me they can not infect humans, but I now over cook my fish from that lake. How was the fishing? Cheers Rick

Kurt505
06-20-2013, 01:19 PM
Hi A had the same thing last year. The mistake was letting my wife see them. They are sure discusting. The biologist assured me they can not infect humans, but I now over cook my fish from that lake. How was the fishing? Cheers Rick

I never told the wife about them, we've been together 16yrs, I know better. Fishing was ok, caught 20-30 fish I'd guess with the biggest around 6lbs or so. Not like it used to be, but still better than most lakes. Caught, and released about a 4lb pike that had a chunk about the size of a loonie taken out of him right behind the dorsal fin. Lake was realativly calm and not too many boats on the water. I still haven't tried the north end of the lake since before they closed it, I wonder how the fishing is like up there. The biggest walleye I've seen in that lake was in the far northwest corner about 25yrs ago.

savagencounter
06-20-2013, 01:41 PM
Ours were filled with them too. First time seeing them. Sick. Found it hard to eat but all fish has worms. even in sushi. I'm used to the small round ones in salmon and cod but not those long wriggly tape worms. I wonder if not cooked fully could you get em. All it takes is an egg which is micro and could easily hide under a fingernail when cleaning. Fished calling for years and these were the first. Are the sewage inlets in there.

ssyd
06-20-2013, 06:38 PM
Ours were filled with them too. First time seeing them. Sick. Found it hard to eat but all fish has worms. even in sushi. I'm used to the small round ones in salmon and cod but not those long wriggly tape worms. I wonder if not cooked fully could you get em. All it takes is an egg which is micro and could easily hide under a fingernail when cleaning. Fished calling for years and these were the first. Are the sewage inlets in there.

The easy way to tell is if your butthole starts to itch and you see stuff moving in your stool (that's your poo), then you have worms.

I ate a walleye I had tagged at Pigeon that had a bunch of worms on the outside and never had a problem. Brushed the worms off, rinsed the meat thoroughly before cooking on the Coleman stove and cooked thoroughly. Turned out great.

cube
06-20-2013, 10:43 PM
Is this a common thing? I was out at calling and caught a walleye that was full of tape worms. I'm wondering how common this is, of if its more generalized to certain lakes?

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=walleye%20tape%20worms%20alberta&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CDkQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fsrd.alberta.ca%2Ffishwildlife%2FW ildlifeDiseases%2Fdocuments%2FTriaenophorous.pdf&ei=hbPDUfiVOaKRiALTwoCQCw&usg=AFQjCNGR3nTdyX8dsrmzS2g_-_-B5nh77A&bvm=bv.48293060,d.cGE

Dysfunctional Bubble
06-21-2013, 01:36 AM
Don't know about that lake, but I've been finding worms in The Goldeye that i pull out of the Red Deer river.

Clean em, cook em, and sterilize everything. I take if for granted that every thing is infected with some horrible parasite now days.