PDA

View Full Version : help me choose between these three broadheads

chironomidkraut
06-20-2013, 07:39 PM
help me choose whats going on my new easton HEXX arrows for first blood this sept on mulies and whitetails
ramcats
rage hypodermic
NAP killzone

pottymouth
06-20-2013, 07:52 PM
Out of those 3, I would go with the ramcats ( 3 blade?)

I have only seen bad outcomes with 2 blade broadheads, I personally would never recommend 2 blades...

My choice would be Spitfires or Grim Reapers!

H380
06-20-2013, 07:53 PM
That's easy .. which ever one flies the best ! No seriously , don't think you can go wrong with any of them . Going to the shoot at beaver mines this weekend ?

Lefty-Canuck
06-20-2013, 08:02 PM

I have only seen bad outcomes with 2 blade broadheads, I personally would never recommend 2 blades...

With you on the 3 blades or more....no more 2 blades for me either.

LC

chironomidkraut
06-20-2013, 08:03 PM
they all fly dead on with the field points to 40yds

blackmamba
06-20-2013, 08:54 PM
ram cats .. little locktite blue on those hinges and ur good to go ..

NBFK
06-20-2013, 09:17 PM

X3 on Reapers

C Taylor
06-20-2013, 09:20 PM
I don't like rage broadheads at all. I havnt tried your other two. I took some grim reapers to Africa this spring to try for the first time. First was a gemsbok that was hit just behind the shoulder, had lots of lung blood to begin with but lost it after 12 miles of tracking. Second was a red hartebeest that took 3 steps and dropped dead. Third was a blue wildebeest that I ended up using a rifle on 24 hrs later. Arrow shot was good but the hole was almost healed shut because the blades hadn't opened. I will be sticking with montecs carbine, not the best blood trail to start with but they fly nice, strong when going through bone an have killed everything Ive shot at with them.

shorthair ptr.
06-20-2013, 10:17 PM
Go with a fixed blade or solid one piece like the montec or similar. Just watch any show that uses a mech broadhead as proof. You see alot of deer and deer sized critters shot at reasonable distances that they don't even get a pass through.
My 2cents

diamond k
06-20-2013, 10:29 PM
Go with a fixed blade or solid one piece like the montec or similar. Just watch any show that uses a mech broadhead as proof. You see alot of deer and deer sized critters shot at reasonable distances that they don't even get a pass through.
My 2cents

X2 on the montec

Tabers Best
06-20-2013, 11:08 PM
Use the new Rages.. They improved them over prvious models. I got mine today at Lane. They look awesome.

Antelopeous
06-20-2013, 11:28 PM
I like NAP Big Nasty broadheads. The montecs are nice but you have to sharpen them right out of the box. Dull compared most.

L.O.S.T.Arrow
06-21-2013, 11:40 AM
My 2cents

X G5 Striker or Slick Trick replaceable blades..

JMHO
Neil

Riverbc
06-21-2013, 03:28 PM
out of those 3....Ramcats

Sakoman
06-21-2013, 05:47 PM
I had zero luck with Ramcats, could not get them to fly out of my Insanity. About to try thr rage hypodermics myself. Cant comment on the other one.

Ultimate Predator
06-21-2013, 06:07 PM
Grimmreapers best spitfires second for me

north american hunter
06-21-2013, 07:52 PM
Grim reaper for this guy

H380
06-21-2013, 10:12 PM
I know in my haste I said whatever broadhead flies best , just so happens that I got lucky with slicktricks . Maybe the expandables are alright , I know they are supposed to fly like the fieldpoints , but from what I see on hunt shows it seems like a lot of them don't get passthrus [ AS HAS ALREADY BEEN SAID } . Maybe this is no big deal to some but I much prefer an entry AND exit hole that I get from my fixed blades . jmo .

Zuludog
06-21-2013, 10:17 PM
I'm shooting Grim Reapers. I'll let you know how they work when I hit something. lol :sign0161:

Seriously though, I did a lot of research & probably over analyzed it but the Reapers got lots of good reviews, I've also talked to lots of people that love the Montecs too.

Of the 3 you listed, I'd choose the RamCats. There was a HUGE thread on Archery Talk where a guy tested about 40 different broad heads, for sharpness, flight, durability and penetration. The Ramcat was the top performer in all categories except durability, where it was a 3 or 4 out of 5. It easily out penetrated most broad heads by a mile. Most broad heads penetrated the ballistics gel like 8-10 inches but the Ramcats were off the charts at 18-20 inches. Myself I'd give up the durability for penetration. I'd replace a broad head in a new York minute, if it meant a guarantee pass through on an animal, especially a trophy. :) $15 is a small price to pay for that peace of mind.

Tabers Best
06-22-2013, 02:34 PM
Sorry boys Grim reapers dont not get the same penetration. Not saying they wont get the job done,... But to the original question the Rage are supposed to be considered the best...

gazzoo300
06-23-2013, 01:16 PM
I picked up the Exodus and the Toxics both are field point accurate and penetration on both were great ,Exodus was a little better but the Toxics did Soooo much damage the hole they punch is incredible ,I will be using both this year.:)

Team Anzac
06-23-2013, 01:30 PM
help me choose whats going on my new easton HEXX arrows for first blood this sept on mulies and whitetails
ramcats
rage hypodermic
NAP killzone
I have little to no faith in mechanical broadheads, if i could suggest a couple of easy to tune fixed blade broadheads that group excellent out to 80 yards it would have to be the Shuttle T Locks or the Terminal T Locks. Priced right.

wcbarker
06-23-2013, 10:55 PM
I have used rage for years and have also bought the new hypo broadheads.
I have shot bears,deer,pigs.elk moose, and africa game never had a problem with rage.:sHa_shakeshout::sHa_shakeshout::sHa_shakesho ut:

Lefty-Canuck
06-24-2013, 07:39 AM
The Ramcats supposedly penetrate the best in many test that have been done.

LC

remmy300
06-24-2013, 10:09 AM
Ramcats by far out penetrate just about every BH on the market. They fly unreal. The shoot the same as my FP's well past 80 yards. I shot a moose last year at long distance and had a complete pass through. Ive shot a lot of BH's, mechanical and fixed and the RAM CATS i think fly truer than them all.

just my .02

brohymn2
06-26-2013, 08:55 PM
check out the exodus, picked up some 125's today at cabelas

manosteel
06-26-2013, 11:41 PM
Go fix blade like Montec or trophy taker terminal t-locks,

If stuck on mechanical I would go with grime reapers or the new ulmer edges, my buddy blew through a moose at 51 yards with the ulmers last season and the Moose went 30 feet before laying down for a dirt nap

7mmremmag
06-27-2013, 09:53 AM
I absolutely love the results of the 100 grain G5 Montecs I shoot. They fly great, identical to my field points, and they put the smack down on a beautiful cinnamon black bear this year!

Ive just heard too many horror stories about broad heads not opening etc to not shoot a fixed blade

bearbait
06-27-2013, 02:06 PM
im a fixed blade guy all the way. find shuttle t's fly best. i test broadheads all the time. that result was out of a heli-m and destroyer 350