PDA

View Full Version : Bow, North Ram and Bighorn reports

Canuck44
08-07-2008, 10:19 PM
Went out a few days in the last week to try the old fly rod.

I started on the Bighorn on Saturday afternoon about 2ish, I was fishing upstream of the hiway about 1/3rd of the way to the falls, there were some spincasters in the first couple holes so I continued up and started with a stim up top and a dropper below, there was nothing coming out of the riffles but the upper edges of the holes and the bottoms of the runs seemed to be producing cutbows in the 6-10" range. Nothing of a decent size which isn't surprising given the easy access to this part of the river. In about 2 hrs I pulled 10 of the little guys out, fun but left me wanting to catch something bigger. Next time I will leave earlier and hike up to where I quit fishing before I start, probably a bit better fishing in the upper canyon where its pretty hard to get in.

On Sunday I hit the North Ram starting about 3 km upstream of the trunk road. It was raining pretty good and I started with the same combo as the day before. Out of the first bend I pulled a 16" cutty on about the third cast, I thought it was going to be pretty good but I fished the next 2 km without a bite and lost my dry fly box in the process with about 60 flies in it. Moral of the story is don't fish an easily accessed part of a C&R stream on the Sunday of August long and expect the fish to be aggressive.

Tuesday evening I went out to the Bow and had some pretty decent luck, I went the whole night with a stim caddis combo and had a couple decent ones break off on me. The first one I landed was a 21" rainbow and he was a lot of fun running and jumping, lot of energy. Next was a 16" rainbow that seemed small in comparison. This was followed by two browns, one 17" and one 18", the browns looked great and they were also putting the run on and jumping like crazy. Was a lot of fun. Here are a couple of pics, 21" rainbow and 17" brown, didn't take pics of anything else.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l314/canuck444/21inchrainbowAugust5082.jpg

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l314/canuck444/17inchbrownaugust5082.jpg

el sparko
08-07-2008, 10:38 PM
nice!!

Chironomid
08-07-2008, 11:05 PM
Sweet job, the bighorn fishes much better above the falls, for cutties anyways.

The ram can be sketchy, I've had my good days on it during the middle of the week when others aren't fishing it.

Drano
08-08-2008, 12:07 AM
:)Nice pics, Thanks for sharing.