PDA

View Full Version : crossing into the U.S

conan
06-21-2013, 08:16 AM
I don't know the answer to this one. I'm going up to Prince Rupert fishing and lets say I cross into Alaska so international waters with my boat, way too far I know, would I get into trouble even if I don't fish? Is there some type of protocol I have to follow?

TrophyPikeHunter
06-21-2013, 09:15 AM
Perhaps you have already thought of that but I wanted to relate a story I heard from someone who knew people who were crossing the border on Osoyoos Lake without one. I seem to recall the story ending with a stern warning (no pun intended) not to do so again from the US border patrol. If you don't have one, I wouldn't risk it.

ksmitty
06-21-2013, 09:30 AM
You need to check in with the Harbour Master at the port of destination. Bring passport for sure

duck duck goose
06-21-2013, 11:30 AM
I don't know the answer to this one. I'm going up to Prince Rupert fishing and lets say I cross into Alaska so international waters with my boat, way too far I know, would I get into trouble even if I don't fish? Is there some type of protocol I have to follow?

If you intend to travel to the US by boat and land your boat... well on land, you need either an I-68 or a Nexus card. You will also have to call Canada Customs before leaving to let them know you will be leaving and you have to call them when you return to Canada. Once you land in the US you will have to contact the US Customs and notify them that you are landed. Then they can tell you to carry on, or that you have to wait where you are for customs agents to come and check you out.

If you are just driving your boat through US waters you don't need anything provided you do not step foot on land OR anchor your boat. If you do either of the above then see paragraph 1. If I were to be driving through US waters however, I would not do it without having at least a Passport or Birth Certificate and Driver`s License for everyone in the boat.

Also you cannot drop a fishing line into US waters without a valid fishing license for where ever you happen to be.

I grew up boating on the Detroit River where it was common for boaters to cross the boarder and have done so on multiple occaisions. What I mentioned above I believe to be correct and current as of last year, but when dealing with Customs I would reccomend a call to US customs just to verify as they can really screw with you if you are in the wrong.