PDA

View Full Version : new to the Lac La Biche and area

LacLaBicheNS
08-08-2008, 09:15 AM
Hey everyone. I'm new to Lac La Biche. Just moved here from Ontario.

I'm a avid fisherman but I have no idea what's in Lac La Biche. I am living in a house 5 mins from La La Biche itself. What species of fish lurk in LLB? I assume pike and walleye? ANything else? Any info on this lake would be great!!

Cheers

Walleyes
08-08-2008, 09:40 AM
Welcome to northern A.B. LacLaBicheNS and welcome to some of the finest fishing any wheres in the province.

I will start with saying that the big lake its self is not the best lake in the area it does have some fine winter perch fishing and the pike fishing is o.k. but being such a large lake it is hard to get a handle on them you are much better off fishing some of the smaller lakes in the area. The area has an enormas amount of lakes in it and most of them have multiple species in them. One of the better fishing lakes and one that is very easy to fish and easy to access is Beaver Lake. It has good launches and it is an easy lake to navigate. Beaver has awsome walleye fishing on it and once you get onto them catches of 50+ fish a night are not uncommon. Fish most any point with a good drop off to the 15 - 20 foot mark with jig and minnow or jig and leech or bobber and leech and you will be into fish. Cast spoons or troll raps in the bays for pike. Start with Beaver and progress out to other lakes from there many of the better lakes are quad in only and it will take time as you get to know locals they will take you out. Be patient and it will come. As well get yourself a map of the Lake Land Provincle Recreation Area it is a very handy tool showing many of the lakes and access into them.

If I wasn't down south right now I would take you out for a tour but work comes first and I am not able to spend much time up there right now but there are many good fisherman around home and I know it won't take you long to get to know someone and they will get you going.

And oh yah if you allready don't have one "GET A QUAD" they are a must in this part of the world...

Izumi
08-08-2008, 09:56 AM
You should read the regulations for the lake, It will tell you the sport fish species present. You should really be reading this anyways...

LacLaBicheNS
08-08-2008, 12:13 PM
Well I haven't bought a AB liscense yet so theres no need to go about looking for the info yet. And any other province that I have fished you get the rules and reg's book when you buy the liscnse. I assume AB is no different.

Walleyes, thanks for the info. I've done some reading on this site in regards to the area. As far as LLB lake goes, I'll start there. It is a bigger lake but I'm sure with some time and patince I'll be able to find some good areas. I will look at the other lakes too. Right now my first concern is aquiring a boat. Sooo if you know anyone with a 14ftish boat and motor for sale let me know! I may by a cheap canoe soon if I can't find a boat. Canoe fishing rocks and you can go to any lake with one.

No, I don't own a quad haha. I'm not sure how long I'll be in LLB area yet. I might only be a year so I'm not sure if I want to plunk down the money for one yet. I will know soon if I will be staying in AB (not this part) soon. If I do I will probably pick one up after I get a boat.

I doubt theres bass in nothern AB is there? Most of my expeirence is with bass fishing, but I do a lot of walleye and pike fishing aswell. I also have read theres some trout fishing in northern AB. What kind of trout?! I spent some time in Nova Scotia where the brook/brown/rainbow trout fishing was amazing.

Hows the ice fishing in the area? I enjoy walleye fishing in the winter if there's any in the area.

Cheers!

LacLaBicheNS
08-09-2008, 08:26 PM
anyone else have any advice?

Morph1
08-09-2008, 11:28 PM
I fish Lac la biche at least once a year, I like the lake , its big and the water is quite clear plus sandy beach for the kids, as for fishing, well all I have been catching there were pike but I seen lots of white fish especialy early morning or late afternoon, I caught there plenty of keepers (pike ) , last summer I tried fly fishing trying to hook up to those big white fish but unfortunately haven't had much luck, I spent part of my holidays at Plamondon (Plamondon Sandy Beach RV site ) great place and ran by very nice people, highly recommend it...., there is also gourgeous provincial park right near Lacla biche town called Sir Winston Churchill Provincial park - what a nice place to visit or go camping there, its an Island with man made access road , seen lots of people fishing in that area, the lake used to be populated with wallayes I guess quite some time ago, hard to tell now as many people have not been catching any , however last year I seen a Walleye fishing derby there held at Winston Churchill Park so whos right, I guess you gotta try it on your own.
I wish I could live in that area, lucky you....

Well, best of luck dude,

Cheers !