PDA

View Full Version : Flood impact on fish populations

Flieguy
06-21-2013, 09:53 PM
what's everyone's opinion on the impact of a serious flood like this on the population of fish in the rivers?

no effect? 10% kill? does it just move them around?

PS I saw a pic of a lady who caught a whitefish on her street in calgary... whoa

NUK SOO KOW
06-21-2013, 11:00 PM
I fish a river in the south. It was fantastic for some good sized fish, and lots of them!! Then it flooded and it wasn't the same since. There were still fish there, just not in the numbers as previous years. It was just getting back to what it once was, after normal high water season's in about 4 years. Now this flood happens. Not sure if the fish die or get washed downstream or what. Will definatley be some new holes to try this year!!

the local angler
06-21-2013, 11:17 PM
for me the only impact i keep thinking about is this flooding introducing new species to other bodies of water like right now the news said carburn park ponds has been swallowed up by the bow river and it has perch. even though they are tiny but i am wondering if the perch get a foothold on the bow river how it will alter the species populations.

azn_rice_man
06-21-2013, 11:20 PM
for me the only impact i keep thinking about is this flooding introducing new species to other bodies of water like right now the news said carburn park ponds has been swallowed up by the bow river and it has perch. even though they are tiny but i am wondering if the perch get a foothold on the bow river how it will alter the species populations.

Don't worry, I'm sure the snakeheads will take care of them. :budo:

ksmitty
06-22-2013, 12:09 AM
The browns got beat up bad in the 2005 flood. We were starting to see some recovery with the smaller fish and then another 100 yr flood. Just one guys opinion

Fishfinder
06-22-2013, 01:42 AM
I have no idea. But I'd say all of that mentioned. Some must die for sure, especially with all the eggs affected. And surely they get shoved around downstream one would think?

As far as the lady catching a fishy on her street, always been a dream of mine haha. But as they say, and I hate this saying, and this will be the only time I ever say it...Pics Or It Didn't Happen!! Haha, jk:)

Flieguy
06-22-2013, 04:50 AM
As far as the lady catching a fishy on her street, always been a dream of mine haha. But as they say, and I hate this saying, and this will be the only time I ever say it...Pics Or It Didn't Happen!! Haha, jk:)

not sure if it was with a rod or b hand... haha

WayneChristie
06-22-2013, 07:29 AM
Lots of perch get flushed into the Bow all the time from the irrigation canals, but I have yet to see one in the river. Im more worried about the sturgeon eggs since they just finished spawning, but then again, they do spawn in heavy runoff so they may just be all right. bigger worry is the chemical soup heading downstream from the flooding cities.

jacenbeers
06-22-2013, 12:16 PM
Lots of fish will be stuck in ditches and will need to be rescued. We should all be volunteering to help if we can once this all starts to get better.

EZM
06-22-2013, 01:44 PM
Lots of perch get flushed into the Bow all the time from the irrigation canals, but I have yet to see one in the river. Im more worried about the sturgeon eggs since they just finished spawning, but then again, they do spawn in heavy runoff so they may just be all right. bigger worry is the chemical soup heading downstream from the flooding cities.

I agree - the bigger issue is all the oil and chemicals washed off roads, the chemicals from lawns and potential rail yards, manufacturing locations etc... along the path of the flood.

MtnGiant
06-22-2013, 01:48 PM
In the mtns....there will be alot of shuffling around and changed fishing spots.

And there will be fish casualties :(

Hard to judge the severity or loss percentage for a while

ADIDAFish
06-22-2013, 03:53 PM
It will be way more than 10%, that's for sure. I'd be happy if we still had 50%. Check this out:
http://www.valleyreporter.com/index.php/en/news/news/577-post-flood-river-work-impacts-trout-habitat

niwrek
06-22-2013, 04:24 PM
I think allot of fish hit the bottom of the river,,,,where current is less. Of course some will be swept down river along with the spawn, but this brings us fish from up river as well. Fishing will be different for a while.... Iwould think