PDA

View Full Version : Big Lake St albert

Reaume
06-21-2013, 10:25 PM
I was going to go there tomorrow and just check it out, as i cant leave the area right now as i might be sent out to Calgary to help out with the floods, So the question is what are the regs for that lake? as i cant find any or maybe i am looking in the wrong spot, if anyone can help me out please do as i am new to fishing ,

Thanks in advace

new LT
06-21-2013, 10:39 PM
As far as i know there are a few small pike in it but it is more of a waterfowl sanctuary then a fishery.

Wesr
06-21-2013, 10:49 PM
im biking down to where the lake drains into the sturgeon tomorrow morning to chuck some flies out there... fished the sturgeon in town since i was little. there is always pike biting somewhere. never kept anything out of the river tho

Reaume
06-21-2013, 11:02 PM
just looking for a place to go and start fishing, would like to keep fish forsure

VanIsleGuy
06-21-2013, 11:36 PM
im biking down to where the lake drains into the sturgeon tomorrow morning to chuck some flies out there... fished the sturgeon in town since i was little. there is always pike biting somewhere. never kept anything out of the river tho

I have fished that area a few times. Right at the bridge. I used streamers and my slightly overpowered 10wt, which helped in the wind. They were all around 25" fish and 4lbs. Some of them were caught with a slow retrieve, another was caught while reeling in as fast as I could. Change up your technique lots and continue your retrieve right up to the shore. I had a fish strike 2 feet from the bank.

To the OP

Limits are:
15 Perch
3 Pike over 63cm

It's not illegal to keep the fish, but I wouldn't recommend it. Only because of the pollution in the river. Best to go to the supermarket if you are hungry.

Have fun out there. If there are any more questions, feel free to ask.

Reaume
06-21-2013, 11:47 PM
I have fished that area a few times. Right at the bridge. I used streamers and my slightly overpowered 10wt, which helped in the wind. They were all around 25" fish and 4lbs. Some of them were caught with a slow retrieve, another was caught while reeling in as fast as I could. Change up your technique lots and continue your retrieve right up to the shore. I had a fish strike 2 feet from the bank.

To the OP

Limits are:
15 Perch
3 Pike over 63cm

It's not illegal to keep the fish, but I wouldn't recommend it. Only because of the pollution in the river. Best to go to the supermarket if you are hungry.

Have fun out there. If there are any more questions, feel free to ask.

Thanks a lot for the info, just starting out so all the info i can get is the best

Reaume
06-21-2013, 11:51 PM
also what about bait? what would be something good to pick up?

VanIsleGuy
06-21-2013, 11:56 PM
You can try minnows or worms. Works best with a pickerel rig. Other than that, spoons, crank baits, or I find jigs w/twister tail work for catching pike.

Reaume
06-22-2013, 12:08 AM
You can try minnows or worms. Works best with a pickerel rig. Other than that, spoons, crank baits, or I find jigs w/twister tail work for catching pike.

Thanks a lot for the help

VanIsleGuy
06-22-2013, 12:29 AM
No problem, good luck!

j_porter
06-26-2013, 08:35 PM
Ive been fishing there this summer for an hour or 2 at a time with nothing but a spoon and had tons of fish, their always biting, mostly small jack but pulled in one 36" guy right by the bridge.

Reaume
06-26-2013, 09:14 PM
Ive been fishing there this summer for an hour or 2 at a time with nothing but a spoon and had tons of fish, their always biting, mostly small jack but pulled in one 36" guy right by the bridge.

i am going there Friday, hope to have better luck then last time, any other suggestions?