PDA

View Full Version : I can't keep this to myself any longer...

I can't keep this to myself any longer...
04-01-2007, 07:33 PM
Today I was at a garage sale in Calgary, where I bought a small box of quite nice flies for $5. The elderly lady selling was so nice to me, and even gave me a cup of tea and some homemade oatmeal cookies. It seems she was finally getting rid of a lot of stuff that she didn't need anymore, since her husband passed away three years ago. As we chatted about fishing and other things, we found that we had a lot in common. Actually, I lost track of time, chatting to her and munching cookies. I must have been there an hour, when she kind of gave me a strange look. There were no more customers by that time. I guess she sensed that I was as crazy about fishing as her late husband was, because she then showed me her husband's little "fishing room" just off the garage.
I couldn't believe my eyes!:eek Against the far wall there was a rod rack holding six Sage fly rods, in 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, and 9 weights, all gleaming like brand new. All were fitted with Abel reels, similarly in mint condition. There was also a custom-made oak fly-tying table, loaded with materials. In the closet were spare spools for all the Abels, and several fly lines for each reel, all in original boxes. And there was a very large Tupperware box full of fly boxes, each loaded with exquisite flies. Numerous accessories like landing nets and vests were neatly stored in the closet.
As I said, that kind lady took a shine to me, but I was not prepared for what she said to me next. "Son, you are exactly like my husband about fishing. I have no idea what all his old tackle is worth, so I didn't feel comfortable just putting it out to sell with the other stuff. And I also didn't like the idea that people who might buy his fishing tackle might not respect it as my husband did. But it has to go. My husband would have hated to see it gather dust, and that bothers me every day. So for the past couple of years, I have been hoping to find somebody who would treat his tackle with respect. We have no other family members, and I know that he would have approved of you having it. Please take it all."
She absolutely rejected all my attempts at respectful refusal. So I backed my truck up, and emptied that little "fishing room."
What can I say?
:b

drteith
04-01-2007, 07:41 PM
How 'bout April Fools!:lol

Good one
04-01-2007, 08:00 PM
:rollin She absolutely rejected all my attempts at respectful refusal.YOU had me up to this point nice one:rollin :rollin

Happy....APRIL FOOL
04-02-2007, 06:37 PM
OK...OK... I wish I was THAT LUCKY!!!! :p

Happy APRIL FOOLS DAY! :rollin

thanks for the fun
Dave