PDA

View Full Version : G5 Prime Defy

Tuggai
06-22-2013, 09:33 AM
I'm looking for some feedback on the Defy @ 70#. I'v heard some good reviews so far... I'm looking at either that or an Elite Answer or an APA Mamba. Any real world experience would be appreciated!

Zuludog
06-22-2013, 10:57 AM
I just picked one up a couple days ago. I haven't had time to shoot it lots yet but I can give you a mini review.
Back wall - as rock solid as you can get
VERY Quiet & shock free
Holds - like a much longer ATA bow
Fit & finish - like all G5 products is superb
Valley - not a huge valley, like on the Quest Rev. It will keep you honest but its not an arm ripper.
Speed - seems fast but I haven't chrono'd it
Draw cycle- smooth as well but not quite as smooth as the Impact.

I traded in my 2012 Strothers Rush and picked one up after shooting it a couple times, so far NO buyers remorse. There was also two guys who traded in Mathews for them, one traded in a 3 week old 2013 Creed? or whatever their flagship model is.

I shot the Viper and Mamba and prefer the Defy, it is quieter and steadier, to me. My only regret is maybe I should've gotten an Impact. lol That bow is a tack driver too and a little smoother and faster but I wanted more brace height for hunting conditions. PM me if you have any more questions.

FWIW I was shooting 28/60#. I think the draw runs about 1/4" long.

Tuggai
06-23-2013, 05:20 PM
Where did you pick it up? I found a dealer in Chauvin but would like something closer as i'm north of Edmonton...

Zuludog
06-23-2013, 06:48 PM
I bought it from Dallas at SPAL. He has a full line of Prime bows in stock right now and he did a great job outfitting me and my friend who bought the Impact there. You could also call Jim at Pipestone (great guy BTW) I think he's a Prime dealer but is selling lots of APA these days and last time I was there he didn't have any but that was months ago, so he might have some now.

Tuggai
06-24-2013, 05:58 PM
Awesome! thanks for the info! I'll have to check them out

L.O.S.T.Arrow
06-25-2013, 05:32 PM
:D I have no experience with the Defy...but have shot other Prime G5 bows..
but I have shot both this years APA Mamba M6 and M7 ... Wow outstanding...cant believe the speed of the M6 and smoothness of both..also very quite...dont rule them out shoot them in your draw and they will amaze you..

JMHO
Neil

Antelopeous
06-25-2013, 10:27 PM
I have a Defy and I absolutely love it. Shot 2 arrows with it and traded in my Mathews Z7 in a heartbeat.

kghunter
07-06-2013, 10:39 PM
I had the 70 lb Impact last year, it's an awesome bow for sure, really forgiving. Decided to try the 70 lb Defy for this year and definitely no regrets! Love the shallow valley as I can let it down without ripping my shoulder off and once I got use to the valley I wouldn't go back for nothing. The only thing I didn't like about the prime bows is that both of the bows I got were 1/2 inch long on the axle to axle and I had to twist the strings up to get them back in specs, once I did that they performed awesome.

In my opinion the Defy is an improvement over the impact, it's quieter, less hand shock, better string material, improved string suppressor and better grip. As far as accuracy goes I'd say their about the same in that I shoot these bows better than I've ever have shot a bow before and I've been bow-hunting for over 35 years...............there's a lot of good bows out there and I don't think you can go terribly wrong with any of them...... good luck in your bow purchase.........