PDA

View Full Version : Floro leaders for walleye

BobMarliesDonkey
06-22-2013, 02:29 PM
Ok, a couple quick questions from a fishing neophyte about using flourocarbon leaders for walleye.

First off, is it a decent set up to begin with? What, in your opinion would be the best way to attach the leader? - to a swivel, or line to line?

Finally, how long should the leader be and what would you consider the minimum effective length?

Thanks for your help!

EZM
06-22-2013, 02:53 PM
Fluorocarbon leaders, simply stated are the BEST for *almost* every application.

They a provide strong, virtually invisible leader withstanding abrasion and have the added benefit of being low stretch.

Keep in mind fluorocarbon line versus fluorocarbon leader are two different products with distinct properties. The leader material is stiffer and less supple, but provides far superior abrasion (bite through) protection.

It is sold in 25-30 yard rolls and costs about a $1 a yard. Much more expensive than simple fluorocarbon line.

I use fluorocarbon leader material for catching pike and lakers and have had zero failures. I have, however, noticed a remarkable increase in bites, particularly when the fish are in a neutral or negative mood.

For toothy critter like pike, who can slice through mono-filament or braid easily, I run a 80 lb fluorocarbon leader with a swivel on one end and a swivel snap on the other.

All my main lines, on most of my rods are braid, and I leave a strong, high quality, swivel snap (coast lock style) attached to them.

I have an assortment of fluoro leaders based on the intended application and they quicky get changed over if needed.

For Walleye, I run a 30lb fluorocarbon leader, about 24"- 36" in length, with a swivel on the top (so it attaches to my rod main line) and run a smaller, but high strength, high quality, swivel snap to the bottom where I attach my jig head, lure, or crank.

That way, if a pike comes along, I'm still safe and I get to keep my lure or jig AND I have a almost invisible, high strength connection at the bottom of my line.

BobMarliesDonkey
06-22-2013, 02:59 PM
Ok, thanks for the info! is it common for people to be using flourocarbon line for leader? Is it effective at all, or a major misstep?

Walleyedude
06-22-2013, 03:25 PM
In my experience, the big majority of the time, using a fluoro or even a mono leader with super line results in more bites. I use standard fluoro line for my leaders, generally the Berkley 100%. I personally don't see the advantage to the leader material for my application.

My standard jigging setup is hi vis powerpro with a 4-6' leader of 6 or 8lb fluoro. I use a simple blood knot to connect the two lines. The fluoro is tough and invisible, and far easier to tie directly to than power pro. I don't use snaps, so thats makes for simple and quick re-ties, no scissors required. IMHO, there's no reason to go any heavier than 8lb for walleye with the occasional pike. The odd pike will bite you off, but I think you give up lure action and get fewer bites the heavier you go with your line.

TJG
06-22-2013, 03:39 PM
X2 on both answers. Swivels or tie direct on the floro are both good.
Super line is good for jigs, great feel.

BobMarliesDonkey
06-22-2013, 03:49 PM
thanks again all, lots to learn and this seems to be a great place to do it. I guess I'll focus on getting out there and tying as much as I can to see what works. Always good to hear the opinions of people who've been there and done that to focus my efforts (and my pocket book.)

BMD

Walleyemagnet
06-22-2013, 07:11 PM
I use flouro for all applications. I use power pro main line and use back to back uni knots to tie on a flouro leader. I've tested red power pro tied direcly to the jig and a flouro leader on another rod back to back. The flouro definitely outperforms. If you don't believe, try it.

Mudslide
06-22-2013, 07:24 PM
I always use a double uni knot to join braided mainline to flouro leaders. Easier to tie than a blood knot and just as effective. Using a high vis braid (and paying attention) will put more fish in the boat because you will see (sideways/slack line bites) that you can't feel.