PDA

View Full Version : Timing question?

ww2269
06-23-2013, 08:58 PM
I run a Bowtech Invasion and my string is just outside of my timing dots on each cam. It is out evenly on both cams so im not sure if I should be concern. I have owned the bow for 3 years now and its the original string so I am wondering if its from string stretch? From last year to this year I have noticed that I am shooting low with all my pins and it consistantly gets lower as i get to farther yardages(3 inches at 40 yards, 6 inches at 60 yards, and 10 inches at 80 yards). The string is in good shape as I wax it faithfully and groups are good but just slowly out from where they were. Any insight would be great , thanks.:thinking-006:

Ragnarok
06-23-2013, 09:08 PM
it most likely is stretched after 3 years, you could twist the cables a few times to bring it back into the timing dots, or get a new set of threads if they need to be twisted too much, doing that will increase your draw weight a bit too which will bring your groupings up a shade...
jmho though :)

normanrd
06-23-2013, 09:20 PM
The timing dots are just a guideline though. The only way to time these beasts is at full draw, using a hooter shooter or a draw board. You should adjust for cam lean at the same time (at full draw), you are there any way.

It is highly likely that your bow is out of time, which can also cause big poi changes. They generally need to be on or between the timing dots, but as I have mentioned they likely wont be the same. The reason for this is that the cams are the same, but the top and bottom limbs are essentially not since the riser is not symmetrical top to bottom. Additionally, if you use a drop away rest that is driven by the down cable it can change the geometry as well. If the string and cables are in good shape, twist the cables until you are in the dots and then fine tune after that. On both my bowtechs the bottom cam is slower in rotation with respect to the top one at rest, according to the timing marks. Hope this helps a little!

Norm

L.O.S.T.Arrow
06-24-2013, 09:13 AM
:D ...X2 exacally what Norm said...the timing marks are just a referance ...they can get the timing close but full drawn on a draw board or Hooter Shooter is the only true way to get them !00% timed...

your strings sound seriously stretched..when strings creep [ stretch] poundage goes down consideribly...hence the speed droping and pins changes...it will also get louder and more hand shock is possible...

shooters should always get their bow re-spec tuned after the first couple hundred shots opn a new bow..once a string has settled spec will remain as tuneded...

Neil

ww2269
06-24-2013, 09:27 PM
If my string has stretched considerably but is in great shape, do I need to replace it? It has no freying so my thought was to just give my cable a twist and call it good, as long as there was no issue with the string snapping. The bow does seem to be a hair louder.

L.O.S.T.Arrow
06-25-2013, 09:22 AM
If my string has stretched considerably but is in great shape, do I need to replace it? It has no freying so my thought was to just give my cable a twist and call it good, as long as there was no issue with the string snapping. The bow does seem to be a hair louder.

:D ...Pending on your shooting ..Some shooters pack there bows in the closet all winter and spring ...bring the bow out in summer shoot before hunting season and little during hunting season....others shoot lots all year round...regardless string age and wear...

If your the shooter that doest have access to shooting a lot...then the strings may be fine...If your the latter...its time to change strings...I change mine every year...but I like to shoot lots...for myself two years max...thtree years is max with steady shooting for most IMHO..

We have a half dozen bows every hunting season come in with broken strings...a couple even cut...

Even if a string looks great ...we cant see whats happening under the servings...common broiken areas are at peep...most due to improper installed peep...under serving at center serving , cam roll over point on string...or at main string loops where it attaches to cams...and even at loops on string...some due to loop breaking causing a dryfire like action... causing a string to derail and breaking..causing mayhem..

Replavcing Strings is CHEAP insurance..some bows are down for a good portion of the hunting season due to parts...

With Bowtech I have found when a string lets go on them its devastating...the cam draw stops shear the limbs, wreck the cams, axles and even cable guard...

With can happen with any brand bow..

This Bowtech blew the string due to improper installed peep...when the string let go the pressure blew the cable, the cams spun and sheared the limbs destroying bow limbs and cams/axles...the cable guard even blew out..He brought to me in a bag...

Parts took forever...missed the entire hunting season..

http://i1322.photobucket.com/albums/u574/LOSTArrowArchery/wabbithuntin152_zps3a10d81b.jpg

JMHO
Neil

Lefty-Canuck
06-25-2013, 10:02 AM
What model/year of bow was that one?

That person should have had a backup or two :) then the season would not have been missed :)

LC

HoytAlpha35
06-25-2013, 03:30 PM
General industry recommendation is replace every 2-3 years depending on use and care. Right now is a really good time to get a new set, get your bow tuned up before the season and beat the august rush. Plus your set on the bow will still be an alright back-up if your in a pinch Hopefully this practical advice is more useful than the fear driven post. :)

L.O.S.T.Arrow
06-25-2013, 05:04 PM
:D Lefty, ...If I remember correctly in was a General

Neil

ww2269
06-25-2013, 09:30 PM
Thanks all, I ordered new string and cables.:)

normanrd
06-25-2013, 11:14 PM
Thanks all, I ordered new string and cables.:)

Good job! Better safe than sorry! You won't be sorry you did. A few shots and then back for a quick tune and your good to go.

L.O.S.T.Arrow
06-26-2013, 09:11 AM
:D X2 ..good job!!!

Neil