PDA

View Full Version : electronics in rain

thehook
06-24-2013, 10:17 AM
thinking about taking the canoe out for some fishing after work, i got a 55lb thrust minn kota on it and a humminbird 140c fish finder...
just wondering if theres any reason i shouldnt have them out in the pouring rain??

new LT
06-24-2013, 10:22 AM
I've never had issues with mine and fish some crappy weather,but youcan never be 100% sure. You could have a bad seal.

Jamie Black R/T
06-24-2013, 11:19 AM
marine electronics that arent made to get wet??? thats a new one :)

thehook
06-24-2013, 11:34 AM
marine electronics that arent made to get wet??? thats a new one :)

hey thanks, your post was very helpfull.
just figured id ask, seeing as its my first year being on the water and owning marine electronics...

kronk
06-24-2013, 01:37 PM
hey thanks, your post was very helpfull.
just figured id ask, seeing as its my first year being on the water and owning marine electronics...

Don't feed the trolls... they just keep coming back.:sHa_sarcasticlol:

I have had no issues with my Minn 38, and my garmin fish finder, and we've been in rain bad enough that we've had to bail out the boat atleast once an hour.

I have however thought about cutting a chunk out of an old poncho, and making kind of a tent fly for the motor, and the fishfinder... the finder would be nicer to see too without the water droplets all over the screen.

(Just another tip for marine electronics, You can pay upwards of $80 bucks for a water proof/resistant phone case, or just but dry condoms, or ziploc bags, and wrap your phone up... Touch screen still works, but the speaker is muffled.)

BeeGuy
06-24-2013, 03:00 PM
Haven't had any problems running a similar setup. Haven't been in any serious down pours though.

RapStaff
06-26-2013, 11:04 PM
My minnkota and my hummingbird work well rain or shine. I do however have a battery box to keep my battery dry.

EZM
06-27-2013, 11:04 AM
Even driving, wind blown rain should not have an effect on your electronics.

Over the years, only one unit, my first Lowrance HDS 5, had some issues, however, the unit was promptly replaced with no questions asked when I brought it back to the retailer (the fishing hole) and they could hear the water sloshing around.

That particular production run, based on my original serial number, of products had a seal issue that was later corrected by Lowrance in a later series of products.

My unit was replaced with a newer production run at no cost me despite being 14 months old (12 month warranty).

These products are designed to withstand some serious downpours and wind drive rain without issue.

thehook
06-27-2013, 11:15 AM
thanks guys, I went out and we got soaked.. heavy rain wind picked up had the humming bird inside the canoe we hit a big wave and the water that came in the canoe pretty much soaked the fish finder. no problems any concerns I have are gone.
on a side note my new enduramax 55 powers my canoe along just great even in rough water!

32-40win
06-28-2013, 12:23 AM
Rain won't bother them, but, take lots of extra batteries for the 140. Maybe I got a krap batch of energizers this year, but they were only lasting me 7-8 hrs last week. My old Fishin Buddy used to last 3-4 days on 3 C batteries, the 130 I have now seems to eat a lot of batteries, I don't think it's made 3 days on a set of 6 AA's yet, and all I use it for is a depth finder, no fish alerts, none of the other functions other than the sidefinder.