PDA

View Full Version : Walleye Derby Pinehurst

Ukrainankiller
06-24-2013, 11:57 AM
Would just like to here everybody else's opinion on why they continue to allow a walleye derby on pinehurst lake that has zero population for the general public. If they allow derbies their why do we have to apply for a draw. I'm a firm believer in the draw system as I went to another lake in the area and caught nothing but beautiful walleye that I never caught their 5 years ago. I think the government really blew it on allowing them to keep this derby going

farmsniper
06-24-2013, 12:14 PM
Pinehurst is a 100% catch and release tournament. It is a part of the Northern alberta walleye trail and is run on a very professional level. The tournament does not kill fish therefore there is no harm done to the lake or fish population. There are patrol boats on the water checking fisherman throughout the day, and wardens have been at the weigh-in to monitor fish being weighed and released. A tournament does not effect the decision by srd to open up a daily limit for walleye. Tags are a money grab and they will remain in effect for years to come. I don't agree with it but we all are going to have to accept that as the tag system seems to be spreading to more and more lakes each year.

cube
06-24-2013, 12:23 PM
Would just like to here everybody else's opinion on why they continue to allow a walleye derby on pinehurst lake that has zero population for the general public. If they allow derbies their why do we have to apply for a draw. I'm a firm believer in the draw system as I went to another lake in the area and caught nothing but beautiful walleye that I never caught their 5 years ago. I think the government really blew it on allowing them to keep this derby going

Did you fill out the SRD on line questionnaire, just last year, that was specifically asking those questions?

Personally I would like to see it moved because the venue has space, launch, and staging area issues and basically screws the rest of the public from being able to use the lake for that week.

As far as the walleye go it should have been opened up more than it is already in my opinion and since the tournaments have a very small affect on the walleye population in early June it's not a big concern of mine. I do however, totally understand your point of view and it certainly sounds hypocritical that the fishery should be basically closed for the general public but opened for tournaments with special rules and regs put in place.

full_throttle
06-24-2013, 12:32 PM
On the flip side, how has the fishing been at pinehurst ? We are headed there Wednesday.

bcacoutdoors
06-24-2013, 02:00 PM

We are allowed to have a tournament cause we are strictly regulated we fish barbless do you fish barbless? We don't eat the fish we catch we realese them. Anyone caught breaking the rules are disqualified and some tournaments now will be charged for fraud. For example vanity cup. We can't weight dead fish or fish or fish that are upside down floating. We put weights on te fish fins so they balance out in livewell so the can be realesed without any harm. 10 people with tags for fish does more harm then a hundred boats fishing a tournament. We are regulated what depth we can fish at aswell. We can't get licenses to fish tournaments in middle of the summer cause of the depth fish are at and are harder to keep alive. I see people all summer winching fish out of 25 or 30 feet those fish don't have much of a chance.

bcacoutdoors
06-24-2013, 02:04 PM
On the flip side, how has the fishing been at pinehurst ? We are headed there Wednesday.

Best its been in years. Fish are healthy seen and caught some monsters.if you didn't weight a 5 pound average for 8 fish at the derby you didn't even get a cheque. Goes to show over the years how much affect derbies have. Feed shortage as been a big concern but the creeks are higher then that have been in years

Hunter Trav
06-24-2013, 02:06 PM
Did you fill out the SRD on line questionnaire, just last year, that was specifically asking those questions?

Personally I would like to see it moved because the venue has space, launch, and staging area issues and basically screws the rest of the public from being able to use the lake for that week.

As far as the walleye go it should have been opened up more than it is already in my opinion and since the tournaments have a very small affect on the walleye population in early June it's not a big concern of mine. I do however, totally understand your point of view and it certainly sounds hypocritical that the fishery should be basically closed for the general public but opened for tournaments with special rules and regs put in place.

The guys who fish this tourney don't get to keep any walleye, so how is that hypocritical? You can go catch walleye there just like the tourney guys, you just have to put them back, or buy tags. Whether they hold the tourney or not, it isn't going to change the decision to not open it up to allow people to keep walleye there. Give your head a shake guys...:rolleye2:

full_throttle
06-24-2013, 02:10 PM
Best its been in years. Fish are healthy seen and caught some monsters.if you didn't weight a 5 pound average for 8 fish at the derby you didn't even get a cheque. Goes to show over the years how much affect derbies have. Feed shortage as been a big concern but the creeks are higher then that have been in years

Good to hear, its actually always been good, I have no complaints for pinehurst fishing. Other than the last 30km of suspense driving in wondering if your going to find a camp spot or not !

hogsmoker
06-24-2013, 02:28 PM
Fishing was great 2 weeks ago, heard a rumour that they are putting in a 120 stall campsite and opening it to one walleye for next year.

pikeslayer22
06-24-2013, 02:37 PM
Fishing was great 2 weeks ago, heard a rumour that they are putting in a 120 stall campsite and opening it to one walleye for next year.
Hope that is a false rumor or say goodbye to another good lake!! Question for the torunament guys...How many fish caught during the tournament and the week prior and what is the mortality rate of all the fish released??

full_throttle
06-24-2013, 02:44 PM

I sure hope that rumor is wrong, the number of campsites there now is perfect. Its busy enough already.

Ukrainankiller
06-24-2013, 02:50 PM
First off just because its catch and release don't mean fish ain't gonna die. You can patrol the waters as much as you can that ain't gonna prevent death of fish. You say the average fisherman kills more fish than tournament guys is joke. How many guys are out pre fishing before the derby? Don't tell me that ain't doing no harm. I am not against tournament fishing, just frustrated its at a lake that's supposedly critical population

Ukrainankiller
06-24-2013, 02:58 PM
The guys who fish this tourney don't get to keep any walleye, so how is that hypocritical? You can go catch walleye there just like the tourney guys, you just have to put them back, or buy tags. Whether they hold the tourney or not, it isn't going to change the decision to not open it up to allow people to keep walleye there. Give your head a shake guys...:rolleye2:

I never said that bud. Give your head a shake before you read maybe. I never said since theirs a tournament there to open it to the public. All I was saying is I don't understand why it's closed to the public but open for walleye tournaments .

Shmag
06-24-2013, 03:11 PM
I think the main question should be why the srd still classifies this lake as critical. As mentioned a 5lb average might not of got top ten. Not too many lakes in alberta that you can go and catch 4- 5lb walleye in eight hrs, 2 days in a row.

The stat that really jumps out is the winning weight is the second highest its ever been in the tourney's 15 yr history. I would say that's a healthy fishery...

new LT
06-24-2013, 03:26 PM
I never said that bud. Give your head a shake before you read maybe. I never said since theirs a tournament there to open it to the public. All I was saying is I don't understand why it's closed to the public but open for walleye tournaments .

i did not realize Pinehurst was closed to the public since when?

Hunter Trav
06-24-2013, 03:43 PM
I sure hope that rumor is wrong, the number of campsites there now is perfect. Its busy enough already.

They announced at the tourney that they were making the campground bigger, adding power sites, and making a bigger dock. Never heard anything about allowing 1 walleye/day though. I highly doubt that will happen, they will maybe issue more tags is all. No way they'll let go of that cash grab...:rolleye2:

Hunter Trav
06-24-2013, 03:49 PM
First off just because its catch and release don't mean fish ain't gonna die. You can patrol the waters as much as you can that ain't gonna prevent death of fish. You say the average fisherman kills more fish than tournament guys is joke. How many guys are out pre fishing before the derby? Don't tell me that ain't doing no harm. I am not against tournament fishing, just frustrated its at a lake that's supposedly critical population

Tourney's are held to a higher standard than regular anglers, and tourney guys make damn sure they take care of the fish they are catching. Not doing so could mean loss of weight at the weigh in, and in the case of dead fish it could mean a DQ, and then you would be out the $600 entry fee. As far as the prefishing goes, guys will bounce around catch 1 or 2 fish in a spot, then leave it alone and hope no one else sees them do it. Most times those fish won't even be taken out of the water, especially if there are other boats around. They unhook them and casually say "just another pike", and move on. Hook too many fish in one spot before tourney day, you might not get any out when it really counts. How is that doing any harm???

Ukrainankiller
06-24-2013, 04:14 PM
I think the main question should be why the srd still classifies this lake as critical. As mentioned a 5lb average might not of got top ten. Not too many lakes in alberta that you can go and catch 4- 5lb walleye in eight hrs, 2 days in a row.

The stat that really jumps out is the winning weight is the second highest its ever been in the tourney's 15 yr history. I would say that's a healthy fishery...

The reason its still classified as critical cause they don't want every city slicker coming out their and fishing it out like they did 5 years ago. But obviously they haven't learnt since their putting more camp sites and power

Tikka300
06-24-2013, 04:25 PM
I used to have a similar opinion on tournaments as the op. Especially on lakes with so called vulnerable populations.... After finally fishing one this spring my opinion has changed. Tournament anglers do take rather good care of the fish compared to the general public. Not many fished getting smashed on the side of the boat or booted off the boat back into the water. Even outside of the tournaments I try to handle fish as best as possible but too often you see them taking a ride off the bow of the boat or getting a swallowed hook torn out of their throat....

To me SRD should really use these tournaments as a bit of a study. When else are you going to have over 150 - 300 anglers coming into a specific spot with live fish and be willing to give you information???? Seems like an easy way for SRD to do some fin clippings and even try a mark and re-capture program? They would have quick and ready access to lenght and weight measurements as well and can determine general health of fish too. All at the cost of the anglers.... The tournaments will generally pull in a few of the bigger fish that you may not get with normal fishing or keeping fish based on tags so they could potentially see some of the bigger ones and determine age class etc. I don't think the tournaments are a bad thing, just make sure they are not in warm water temperatures and watch fishing depths.

bcacoutdoors
06-24-2013, 04:28 PM
The reason its still classified as critical cause they don't want every city slicker coming out their and fishing it out like they did 5 years ago. But obviously they haven't learnt since their putting more camp sites and power

There putting in more spots and power so that us tournament anglers have more room to park our 100000 dollar rigs and having power will be nice cause won't have to lift those big generators anymore. Just need hot water hookups and a car wash bay.

208prov
06-24-2013, 04:29 PM

dont blame city people, you fish too,

pickrel pat
06-24-2013, 04:43 PM

And the ugly truth rears its ugly head.....yes sir that lake should be just for you and your buddys... Sigh....just say it.

new LT
06-24-2013, 05:33 PM
And the ugly truth rears its ugly head.....yes sir that lake should be just for you and your buddys... Sigh....just say it.

hahaha i can't believe the guy waits 9 months to post and this is the best he could do....:(

Ukrainankiller
06-24-2013, 05:35 PM

Not ounce did I mention it for my self or buddies,bud. If you actually would read I used the term general public.

new LT
06-24-2013, 05:43 PM
Not ounce did I mention it for my self or buddies,bud. If you actually would read I used the term general public.

could you please explain just what your issue is. what you have posted so far i can't see a problem

Ukrainankiller
06-24-2013, 05:46 PM
hahaha i can't believe the guy waits 9 months to post and this is the best he could do....:(

Yeah I may have joined 9 months ago but I don't have too shoot my mouth off like you seem to do on every thread. I just wanted to ask for people's opinion about this. A guy doesn't post cause I always seem to find one clown like yourself always makes an idiot of himself

Dirt2oil
06-24-2013, 05:47 PM

Not everyone sits on the outdoorsman forum and make 9 posts a day like yourself, some have lives and use this forum for a tool. But the only tool it seems to be is a way for grow men to beak off behind a computer. :argue2:

Ukrainankiller
06-24-2013, 05:47 PM
Tourney's are held to a higher standard than regular anglers, and tourney guys make damn sure they take care of the fish they are catching. Not doing so could mean loss of weight at the weigh in, and in the case of dead fish it could mean a DQ, and then you would be out the $600 entry fee. As far as the prefishing goes, guys will bounce around catch 1 or 2 fish in a spot, then leave it alone and hope no one else sees them do it. Most times those fish won't even be taken out of the water, especially if there are other boats around. They unhook them and casually say "just another pike", and move on. Hook too many fish in one spot before tourney day, you might not get any out when it really counts. How is that doing any harm???

Thanks for the knowledge able reply. It's info a guy doesn't here.

Ukrainankiller
06-24-2013, 05:49 PM
I used to have a similar opinion on tournaments as the op. Especially on lakes with so called vulnerable populations.... After finally fishing one this spring my opinion has changed. Tournament anglers do take rather good care of the fish compared to the general public. Not many fished getting smashed on the side of the boat or booted off the boat back into the water. Even outside of the tournaments I try to handle fish as best as possible but too often you see them taking a ride off the bow of the boat or getting a swallowed hook torn out of their throat....

To me SRD should really use these tournaments as a bit of a study. When else are you going to have over 150 - 300 anglers coming into a specific spot with live fish and be willing to give you information???? Seems like an easy way for SRD to do some fin clippings and even try a mark and re-capture program? They would have quick and ready access to lenght and weight measurements as well and can determine general health of fish too. All at the cost of the anglers.... The tournaments will generally pull in a few of the bigger fish that you may not get with normal fishing or keeping fish based on tags so they could potentially see some of the bigger ones and determine age class etc. I don't think the tournaments are a bad thing, just make sure they are not in warm water temperatures and watch fishing depths.
Thanks for the info. It was very helpful in understanding. All you here is negative things so you get onesided

Ukrainankiller
06-24-2013, 05:51 PM
Not everyone sits on the outdoorsman forum and make 9 posts a day like yourself, some have lives and use this forum for a tool. But the only tool it seems to be is a way for grow men to beak off behind a computer. :argue2:

Lmfao.

Ukrainankiller
06-24-2013, 05:52 PM

Thanks. You couldn't have said it better

pikeslayer22
06-24-2013, 05:57 PM

To me SRD should really use these tournaments as a bit of a study. When else are you going to have over 150 - 300 anglers coming into a specific spot with live fish and be willing to give you information????

Good point and also a good reason to move lakes after 15 years I think they should know all information they need! Move on to another lake!!!

Hunter Trav
06-24-2013, 07:00 PM
So why should they have to move, the fishery is in good shape, and anglers can compete on a lake where the potential to get large weights is a reality. That in turn means more anglers entering and making the tourney more successful. More anglers = bigger payout. Tourneys aren't there to provide info about a lake, they are for the entertainment of competitive anglers...

new LT
06-24-2013, 07:21 PM
So why should they have to move, the fishery is in good shape, and anglers can compete on a lake where the potential to get large weights is a reality. That in turn means more anglers entering and making the tourney more successful. More anglers = bigger payout. Tourneys aren't there to provide info about a lake, they are for the entertainment of competitive anglers...

I have done tournys that did do info collection for SRD but they were always in house tournys for fish and game clubs was always to much hassle to do it at a public entry tourny.I see no reason why the tournament should not continue at Pinehurst it is not a closed lake just a tag lake.

gramps73
06-24-2013, 07:42 PM
The info from these said touraments is turned over to the SRD..

new LT
06-24-2013, 07:58 PM
The info from these said touraments is turned over to the SRD..

Do they collect data on all fish caught or just legals?

cube
06-24-2013, 08:28 PM

Not sure why you would say I should give my head a shake.
Given SRD ranks general public angling higher than tournament angling and given the fact that they have classified Pinehurst as vulnerable (hence the limited tags available) I’m sure you can see why some would think this hypocritical. I.e. closed limited angling to the general public but open to the lowest ranking priority, tournament angling.

I personally also don’t think that my head is in need of shaking as to having a limited opening of Pinehurst. For example Moose lake is the same size as Pinehurst and has the same FWIN catch rate. Moose also has much heavier fishing pressure than does Pinehurst and as you know the Pinehurst tournament just finished with as you said “Second highest weights in their 15 year history, lots of big numbers coming out this past weekend. If you didn't have over 20lbs both days you were not even close to the money...” Hence, I believe a limited opening of Pinehurst is quite reasonable or are you suggesting Moose be put on tags?

Hunter Trav
06-24-2013, 08:57 PM
Sure its reasonable, will it happen now that its on tags? Probably not...

new LT
06-24-2013, 09:02 PM
Not sure why you would say I should give my head a shake.
Given SRD ranks general public angling higher than tournament angling and given the fact that they have classified Pinehurst as vulnerable (hence the limited tags available) I’m sure you can see why some would think this hypocritical. I.e. closed limited angling to the general public but open to the lowest ranking priority, tournament angling.

I personally also don’t think that my head is in need of shaking as to having a limited opening of Pinehurst. For example Moose lake is the same size as Pinehurst and has the same FWIN catch rate. Moose also has much heavier fishing pressure than does Pinehurst and as you know the Pinehurst tournament just finished with as you said “Second highest weights in their 15 year history, lots of big numbers coming out this past weekend. If you didn't have over 20lbs both days you were not even close to the money...” Hence, I believe a limited opening of Pinehurst is quite reasonable or are you suggesting Moose be put on tags?

Can you explain closed limited angling to the general public...

npauls
06-24-2013, 09:07 PM
Do they collect data on all fish caught or just legals?

For data to be collected on every fish they would need a data collection person on every boat that would have to collect data on every fish brought to the boat. I would think the info being submitted would be of the legals only that are weighed in.

This past weekend I was in the SAWT tourney at ridge res. down here in the south. We probably caught somewhere around 150-200 fish in the 2 day tourney. There were times when we would have double headers get rebaited drop back down and get another 2. That would mean there would be 3-4 fish out of water flopping around the boat while the data collection was being done.

Walleyedude
06-24-2013, 09:08 PM
Can you explain closed limited angling to the general public...

X2

I don't understand what is being perceived as unfair. It seems to me everyone, tournament angler and non-tournament angler alike, has the same opportunity to fish under the same regulations.

new LT
06-24-2013, 09:13 PM
For data to be collected on every fish they would need a data collection person on every boat that would have to collect data on every fish brought to the boat. I would think the info being submitted would be of the legals only that are weighed in.

This past weekend I was in the SAWT tourney at ridge res. down here in the south. We probably caught somewhere around 150-200 fish in the 2 day tourney. There were times when we would have double headers get rebaited drop back down and get another 2. That would mean there would be 3-4 fish out of water flopping around the boat while the data collection was being done.

Thanks thats what i was wondering have fish tourys before where collection was done both just on legals and where recorder was on boat so i wondered how it was done here

new LT
06-24-2013, 09:20 PM
X2

I don't understand what is being perceived as unfair. It seems to me everyone, tournament angler and non-tournament angler alike, has the same opportunity to fish under the same regulations.

Thats what im thinking they both can only fish when lake is open and only in open areas so i can't see a problem if there is something i'm missing please tell me

pikeslayer22
06-24-2013, 09:56 PM
So what would you guys say would be a fair mortality rate for this week of the tourney? 20 to 30%

new LT
06-24-2013, 10:10 PM
So what would you guys say would be a fair mortality rate for this week of the tourney? 20 to 30%

I don't think the mortality rate would be any different then any other week.

Walleyedude
06-24-2013, 10:16 PM

5-10% at most would be my guess given the care taken and the time of year.

Likely lower than the regular C&R angling rate, but the larger number of fish being caught probably evens things out a bit.

Fishing is fishing, no matter who is doing it, there is a mortality rate involved.

cube
06-24-2013, 10:20 PM

Alberta’s Fish-Use Allocation Process
The Fish and Wildlife Policy for Alberta (1982) stipulates that the interim allocation priorities will be in the
following descending order,until supply and demand issues are addressed on a site-specific basis through the
allocation process:

1 Conservation of fish stocks,
2 Subsistence fishing for Alberta’s aboriginal people,
3 Resident recreational use
4 Commercial fishing and tourist angling.
5 Competitive fishing events

If you have CFE’s at a tag lake you are effectively robbing quota from higher order priorities. I.e. the lowest priority (5 CFE’s) is taking quota from the number of tags (priority 3 Recreational use) that will be issued. The calculated mortality for the CFE comes from http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=srd%20walleye%20tournaments&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CDMQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fsrd.alberta.ca%2FFishWildlife%2FF isheriesManagement%2Fdocuments%2FCFE-HarvestBycatchEstimations-Oct2011.pdf&ei=CA3JUd6bGq2ajALM8YDADw&usg=AFQjCNGXxJUDB9YxWKtkg-DvF_4mgiD04A&bvm=bv.48340889,d.cGE

Therefore technically you can only have CFE’s at lakes that have an open to general public harvest and then only if there is excess left over quota from priorities 1-4. Hence, why some would see this as Hypocrisy.

npauls
06-24-2013, 10:25 PM
The Fish and Wildlife Policy for Alberta (1982) stipulates that the interim allocation priorities will be in the
following descending order,until supply and demand issues are addressed on a site-specific basis through the
allocation process:

If you have CFE’s at a tag lake you are effectively robbing quota from higher order priorities. I.e. the lowest priority (5 CFE’s) is taking quota from the number of tags (priority 3 Recreational use) that will be issued. The calculated mortality for the CFE comes from http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=srd%20walleye%20tournaments&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CDMQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fsrd.alberta.ca%2FFishWildlife%2FF isheriesManagement%2Fdocuments%2FCFE-HarvestBycatchEstimations-Oct2011.pdf&ei=CA3JUd6bGq2ajALM8YDADw&usg=AFQjCNGXxJUDB9YxWKtkg-DvF_4mgiD04A&bvm=bv.48340889,d.cGE

Therefore technically you can only have CFE’s at lakes that have an open to general public harvest and then only if there is excess left over quota from priorities 1-4.

These rules were probably put into place after that tourney had already been established which means that lake would have been grandfathered through the rules.

If the lake is healthier then it has been in a long time what is the problem with having tourneys there? Tourney anglers are looking out for the lakes they fish. The last thing they want is a collapsing fishery that is tough to catch fish and pressure from SRD when they apply for their CFE's.

cube
06-24-2013, 10:31 PM
If the lake is healthier then it has been in a long time what is the problem with having tourneys there?

Then what's the problem of having a small limit like Moose or Calling lake?

new LT
06-24-2013, 10:38 PM
allocation process:

Therefore technically you can only have CFE’s at lakes that have an open to general public harvest and then only if there is excess left over quota from priorities 1-4. Hence, why some would see this as Hypocrisy.

How are you robbing quota when no tags are used and no fish are kept quotas remain the same

cube
06-24-2013, 10:42 PM
How are you robbing quota when no tags are used and no fish are kept quotas remain the same

Because they subtract the estimated mortality of the CFE from the number of tags that will be issued. Net result is less tags issued even thought they have a higher priority.

new LT
06-24-2013, 10:59 PM
Because they subtract the estimated mortality of the CFE from the number of tags that will be issued. Net result is less tags issued even thought they have a higher priority.

Can you show the numbers that the tournament increased mortality rate?

cube
06-24-2013, 11:14 PM
Can you show the numbers that the tournament increased mortality rate?

Follow the link that I posted earlier (post #50) and read it. It is quite clear, only that it would under estimate the mortality for Pinehurst, given Pinehurst has a fifteen hour fishing time instead of 14, so increase the estimated mortality by 7%. This is then subtacted from the tags that would have been issued for this year.

new LT
06-24-2013, 11:49 PM
Follow the link that I posted earlier (post #50) and read it. It is quite clear, only that it would under estimate the mortality for Pinehurst, given Pinehurst has a fifteen hour fishing time instead of 14, so increase the estimated mortality by 7%. This is then subtacted from the tags that would have been issued for this year.

Im finding it hard to see where they are getting their data it seems to be a lot of projected figures and figures based on older tournaments before new tournament regulation were in affect i cant see where it is affecting the quotas greatly. but I will reread in morning when head is clearer and do some more research. Thank you for your help and info

Ukrainankiller
06-25-2013, 06:39 AM

I agree with this mortality rate. You try and tell me with that many boats and that many fish being caught each day, no fish are being killed give me a break!!!

Ukrainankiller
06-25-2013, 06:55 AM
I don't think the mortality rate would be any different then any other week.

Since when does pinehurst have between 150 to 300 fisherman fishing the lake every week? That's what you are saying ,by saying the mortality rate is the same as any other week.

pikeslayer22
06-25-2013, 07:02 AM
There are a few things that really bother me with the tourneys...one being double standards...enter a derby and cull fish all day no laws broke....sport angler culls he is breaking a law??? Might need to join one to get a better feel for it, I have a hard time believing the mortality rate would be as low as even10%

catnthehat
06-25-2013, 07:10 AM
There sure is a lot of guessing and estimating and accusations in this thread.
I don't have a dog in this fight, but can tell you that even though the lake gets fished hard in a tournament, if these fishermen were responsible for the collapse of the fishery with the mortality as high as some are guessing , the lake would be closed to a tournament.

Cat

farmsniper
06-25-2013, 07:27 AM
I encourage the sceptics to go out and participate in some tournaments and you will find out first hand what really goes on, I believe your attitudes will change. I personally have volunteered at the willvil event on countless occasions and as far as mortality rate goes it is extremely low. with 4 fish weighed per team per day say there is 250-350 fish weighed per day, over a 2 day period and 400-500 fish weighed over the tournament weekend there are usually only a couple fish that go belly up, with weights they can be revived at the weigh in station and are usually able to be released shortly after. I would guess mortality rate is 2-3% at any well run tournament. It is up to the fisherman to handle fish responsible and not pull them out of deep water as well. Tournament guys love competing and if they set a bad example then some events can be shutdown in the future so they do their best to take care of the lake and the fish.

Walleyedude
06-25-2013, 07:43 AM
allocation process:

You still haven't shown me anything that's unfair. The only reason that I can see for objecting to a tournament being held on Pinehurst, or any lake, is personal greed or selfishness. Your objection to the tournament being held is that it might cost you personally, or "rob" you of the opportunity to harvest a fish, and you believe that your rights should trump those of tournament anglers.

In a lake with a healthy fishery, or one that is deemed able to withstand the fishing pressure by SRD, you have two different groups enjoying it in their preferred way. As long as they're following the rules, those 150-200 tournament fishermen have every bit as much right to the resource and to fish on Pinehurst or any lake as anyone else.

Anything else would be unfair in my opinion.

Hunter Trav
06-25-2013, 08:31 AM
There are a few things that really bother me with the tourneys...one being double standards...enter a derby and cull fish all day no laws broke....sport angler culls he is breaking a law??? Might need to join one to get a better feel for it, I have a hard time believing the mortality rate would be as low as even10%

There is no need for an average sport angler to cull fish. Its either legal to keep, or its not, and from there you decide if your taking it home or putting it back. End of story. Also, I'm guessing the average sport angler doesn't have his/her boat equipped with a proper live well w/ aerator to help insure the safety of the fish they might be culling. I know the fish I put in my live well this year at Pinehurst came out with more vigor than when they went in. I had a hard time getting them out, and they had a hard time weighing them cause they were wanting to jump right off the boat... :cool:

keep6matt
06-25-2013, 08:35 AM
I have fished this lake for over 25 years and it has been nothing short of a great fishery on a consistent basis. The MOST damage done to that lake was the catch and keep limits set, initially it was 3 any size back when "mud bay" was open to fishing. Then when the Alberta fisheries discovered that was the fish prime spawning area every spring they shut it down (thank goodness) and reduced the limit down to one any size. My last tourney attempt there produced the lowest weight in the tourney's history and it wasn't due to low populations but it was a late spawn and a majority of the fish were still in the bay in spawn mode. Don't get me wrong I like a good walleye shore lunch as much as the next guy but in the grand scheme of things and how little good viable lakes Alberta has left, I support and applaud the tag system because it does regulate a proper harvest from lakes such as these. I see absolutely no harm with having a tourney held there every year because it does provide very valuable info to SRD as they have personal on the weigh in boats along with F&W officers there. The anglers that do participate cherish and uphold the highest standards of ethic when they are fishing the lake more so then your every day "catch and keep" anglers. So prior to pointing fingers at tourneys maybe look at the whole picture first, I have seen it all at that lake from the above mentioned years of fishing there. Think about it, look at the valuable time saved for SRD to achieve their studies by having the highest ethical fishermen such as tourney participates do the work for them so they can really get an accurate forecast of that fishery for the following year(s) of the walleye health status and populations. I have been on both sides of the fence....have you? My PERSONAL opinion is to zero or have the perch limits set at 5 only because hey that is the prime food source for walleye and pike but no we have every Tom, Dick and Harry keeping 5 to 7" perch almost on a daily basis across Alberta thus starving off the walleye...look at Calling Lake for instance...prime example, same with Pigeon. Take away the food and the predators starve. That's all I have to say...bottom line common sense.

cube
06-25-2013, 09:13 AM
First of all Walleyedude if you look at my first post you will see that I'm not against the Pinehurst tournament per say. I would only like it moved because the facilities there are terrible for a tournament of this size and caliber. If they put in an extra boat launch, more bathrooms, a parking area, large field for meeting tents etc. I would not have a problem with it.
I only said I could understand how others might feel ripped off given that the tags issued are significantly lower even though they have a much higher priority in the system than tournaments. If you would like to change it have the government give tournaments a level 3 priority and the general public a 5 officially (as that is what appears to be in fact happening here) I would not care as long as the changes that have been made recently i.e. cold water period etc remain in effect.

I think moving the tournament to a lake that has more facilities and extra quota like Pigeon would be a good idea. You have a few thousand under subscribed licences available every year that could be easily displaced by the tournament caused fish deaths. There is multiple boat launches at the lake there is large staging area's in the communities there etc. It would be a win win with no perceived hypocrisy.

as to some of your other comments.

You still haven't shown me anything that's unfair. The only reason that I can see for objecting to a tournament being held on Pinehurst, or any lake, is personal greed or selfishness. I believe if you turn this around you could say the same about tournament anglers being selfish and the only reason they want to fish this lake is for personal gain and selfishness.Your objection to the tournament being held is that it might cost you personally, or "rob" you of the opportunity to harvest a fish, and you believe that your rights should trump those of tournament anglers. According to SRD allocation the general public’s rights do indeed trump yours as a tournament angler

In a lake with a healthy fishery, If the lake has a healthy fishery why is it on tags as vulnerable or one that is deemed able to withstand the fishing pressure by SRD, you have two different groups enjoying it in their preferred way. Again with the new rules I personally don't care As long as they're following the rules, those 150-200 tournament fishermen have every bit as much right to the resource and to fish on Pinehurst or any lake as anyone else. NOT according to SRD's allocation they don't

Anything else would be unfair in my opinion. Did not say that giving CFE's the lowest ranking priority was fair.

Even you would have to admit holding a tournament on a lake classified as collapsed or vulnerable could look bad in the general public’s eyes. Therefore perhaps you and the tournament guys could lobby to have it a non tag lake. I certainly think Pinehurst could with stand the pressure for the reasons I have already stated back in my post refering to Moose Lake.

If Pinehurst had better facilities ie. a place the public could easily launch on tournament days, more bathrooms, camping spots reserved for the public etc. I would love to come down and watch the tournament. I think I would learn allot and become a better fisherman to boot. Perhaps the Pinehurst tournament could be moved to Lac La biche which has much better facilities when it recovers a bit better.:)

keep6matt
06-25-2013, 09:18 AM
If you only seen how quickly the boats are launched and loaded during the tourney days it would blow your mind and actually would be a good eye opener for the general public as in how to properly unload/load your boat in a VERY timely manner, each vessel is done in mere seconds and the efficiency of the tourney volunteers is once again mind blowing. What I usually see at for say, Pigeon Lake of the average person trying to load their boat would equal to 6 tourney guys loaded to the one at Pigeon...its like a pit stop at the Indy, quite incredible to say the least.

cube
06-25-2013, 09:32 AM
If you only seen how quickly the boats are launched and loaded during the tourney days it would blow your mind and actually would be a good eye opener for the general public as in how to properly unload/load your boat in a VERY timely manner, each vessel is done in mere seconds and the efficiency of the tourney volunteers is once again mind blowing. What I usually see at for say, Pigeon Lake of the average person trying to load their boat would equal to 6 tourney guys loaded to the one at Pigeon...its like a pit stop at the Indy, quite incredible to say the least.

Totally agree with you. I would love to see a code of best practices posted at boat launching area's.

I think your post above is yet another good reason to have the tournament on Pigeon or someother lake where the general public could see and learn. I also think it would be a good chance for positive PR for your sport. You could explain to the general public how you have made many changes to dramatically drop the mortality rates and how well the fish are looked after.

pikeslayer22
06-25-2013, 09:33 AM
Perhaps the Pinehurst tournament could be moved to Lac La biche which has much better facilities when it recovers a bit better.

This^^^^^^^^^^...Keep6 you talk about catch and keep anglers in your #62 post... i know a few guys that enter these tournys and they are about as catch and keep as anyone i have met...you kind of make it sound like a tournament fisher is "Holier than Thou"

keep6matt
06-25-2013, 09:41 AM
Perhaps the Pinehurst tournament could be moved to Lac La biche which has much better facilities when it recovers a bit better.

This^^^^^^^^^^...Keep6 you talk about catch and keep anglers in your #62 post... i know a few guys that enter these tournys and they are about as catch and keep as anyone i have met...you kind of make it sound like a tournament fisher is "Holier than Thou"

Never said that and please do not put words in my mouth either. I clearly stated I have been on both sides of the fence and do like a shore lunch as much as the next guy too, so please re read what I posted. I have done the Pinehurst Lake tourney 3 times in my life and have done others as well and simply stated that the code of ethic practiced by tourney anglers are above and beyond what most everyday angler practice. I am an "everyday ordinary angler" like most on here. My post was not placed as a debate tool only as what I have experienced and observed in the 25 + years of me fishing Pinehurst Lake. Chose your words carefully my friend before you post.....

cube
06-25-2013, 09:45 AM
There is no need for an average sport angler to cull fish. why should a tounament angler be allowed to upgrade and the general public not. Using the same logic,it's either a fish you want to weight in or it's not no reason for culling end of story Its either legal to keep, or its not, and from there you decide if your taking it home or putting it back. End of story. Also, I'm guessing the average sport angler doesn't have his/her boat equipped with a proper live well w/ aerator there are far more boats out their in the general public domain that do indeed have such live wells than perhaps your aware of to help insure the safety of the fish they might be culling. I know the fish I put in my live well this year at Pinehurst came out with more vigor than when they went in. I had a hard time getting them out, and they had a hard time weighing them cause they were wanting to jump right off the boat... sounds like a stressed fish to me :cool:

keep6matt
06-25-2013, 09:47 AM
Here for your shore lunch....its much cheaper than the average $1500 per lb us sportsman would pay for walleye after its all said and done LMAO,,,just trying to put some humor to this awfully serious thread, come on lighten up people and enjoy the sport of fishing...geeez!

http://www.billingsgate.com/index.html

cube
06-25-2013, 10:41 AM
Just to play devils advocate for a moment. I have fished this lake for over 38 years so have an idea about the lake as well. I have fished this lake for over 25 years and it has been nothing short of a great fishery on a consistent basis. Hence why you should ask the walleye and tournament guys that sit on the Fisheries Management Round Table to have Pinehurst opened to a limit of 1The MOST damage done to that lake was the catch and keep limits set, initially it was 3 any size back when "mud bay" was open to fishing. Actually it was all the illegal netting that was going on. They used to put nets all the way across Snugs cove/mud bay When you arrived you'd see this many times a year. Then when the Alberta fisheries discovered that was the fish prime spawning area every spring they shut it down (thank goodness) and reduced the limit down to one any size. My last tourney attempt there produced the lowest weight in the tourney's history and it wasn't due to low populations but it was a late spawn and a majority of the fish were still in the bay in spawn mode. Don't get me wrong I like a good walleye shore lunch as much as the next guy but in the grand scheme of things and how little good viable lakes Alberta has left, I support and applaud the tag system because it does regulate a proper harvest from lakes such as these. I see absolutely no harm with having a tourney held there every year because it does provide very valuable info to SRD If you ask SRD or the fisheries biologist they will tell you it is VERY poor data that they get from this. They would get much better data from a netting study that resulted in the same mortality that the tournament causes as they have personal on the weigh in boats along with F&W officers there. The anglers that do participate cherish and uphold the highest standards of ethic I guess that's why there are all these rules and ethics clauses that participants must sign off on because all tournament anglers are so ethical when they are fishing the lake more so then your every day "catch and keep" anglers. So prior to pointing fingers at tourneys maybe look at the whole picture first, I have seen it all at that lake from the above mentioned years of fishing there. Think about it, look at the valuable time saved for SRD to achieve their studies by having the highest ethical fishermen such as tourney participates :) do the work for them so they can really get an accurate forecast of that fishery for the following year(s) of the walleye health status and populations. Again the studies are very poor info compared to what a peer reviewed study would contain. I have been on both sides of the fence....have you? My PERSONAL opinion is to zero or have the perch limits set at 5 only because hey that is the prime food source for walleye and pike but no we have every Tom, Dick and Harry keeping 5 to 7" perch almost on a daily basis across Alberta Not in Pinehurst you don't, the walleye have eaten them all thus starving off the walleye...and not just the walleye, the pike population has plummeted in that lake with this mono species management philosophy look at Calling Lake for instance...prime example, same with Pigeon. Take away the food and the predators starve. So why should not the pike and perch also be protected in the same manner as the walleye That's all I have to say...bottom line common sense.

Again I'm not anti tournament but the above is how allot of the general public perceive you. You need to change a few things perhaps not fish tag/vulnerable lakes and do a better job on your PR

God Bless and have a great season :)

keep6matt
06-25-2013, 10:46 AM
I will never ever comment on "nets" again on here because I got ripped to shreds on my opinion of that subject. You have many great additional points to my initial post Cube, will not argue anything you have stated....I am not posting on this thread anymore, I said my observations/opinions, enuff said and have a great day everyone!

Hunter Trav
06-25-2013, 11:03 AM
why should a tounament angler be allowed to upgrade and the general public not. Using the same logic,it's either a fish you want to weight in or it's not no reason for culling end of story

Well this is very true, and I cannot argue with that. Either way its tough to enforce the culling rule, so I guess it would be better to have people properly informed about how to ensure the fishes safety in doing so. If done in a proper aerated live well, I'm really not against culling provided the fish remains healthy and is looked after. The problem being those that don't have live wells would try and do so with stringers over the side of the boat, and any fish which might be released probably not make it...

there are far more boats out their in the general public domain that do indeed have such live wells than perhaps your aware of
I am aware that alot of boats do have them, I'm also aware that most "tin boats" do not. I'm willing to bet that there are more boats out there that do not have live wells on our lakes, as there are ones that do...

sounds like a stressed fish to me

No more so than the average joe angler not handling their fish properly. And really once they're revived in the live well, they are quite calm and relaxed. Once you try to handle them again they are full of p**s and vinegar, and when they are put back after weighing they swim away quite readily, and live to see other day...

Just to play devils advocate for a moment. I have fished this lake for over 38 years so have an idea about the lake as well.

Sounds to me like your just ****ed about having to share the lake with others...:rolleye2:

cube
06-25-2013, 11:18 AM
Sounds to me like your just ****ed about having to share the lake with others...:rolleye2:

Actually not at all.
I would love to watch the tourney if the facilities were better. i.e. more outhouses, electrical hook ups so I would not have to listen to all those generators running all day and night, Parking areas for the participants, a launch reserved for the general public so my wife would not feel stressed having to back the trailer in, some reserved space so I would not have to go out on the Monday or Tuesday before and hog camping spots but not actually use it until the weekend like many of the tournament anglers do, etc.

I truly think it would be a very interesting thing to watch and I would learn allot. So no I would not mind sharing the lake with the tournament participants one bit.

Have a great season:)

huntsfurfish
06-25-2013, 11:23 AM
Hope that is a false rumor or say goodbye to another good lake!! Question for the torunament guys...How many fish caught during the tournament and the week prior and what is the mortality rate of all the fish released??

Likely at worst, same/similar as anyone else.

Have not read though this thread yet(so not sure whats ahead).

Hunter Trav
06-25-2013, 11:35 AM
Actually not at all.
I would love to watch the tourney if the facilities were better. i.e. more outhouses, electrical hook ups so I would not have to listen to all those generators running all day and night, Parking areas for the participants, a launch reserved for the general public so my wife would not feel stressed having to back the trailer in, some reserved space so I would not have to go out on the Monday or Tuesday before and hog camping spots but not actually use it until the weekend like many of the tournament anglers do, etc.

I truly think it would be a very interesting thing to watch and I would learn allot. So no I would not mind sharing the lake with the tournament participants one bit.

Have a great season:)

Not sure why you would try and make your wife back a trailer in the lake when all the tourney guys are launching, all you need to do is wait a bit till their done, and you'll have it all to yourself. Launching at a tourney is very organized because it has to be. If you feel the need to go to a lake hosting a tourney on that same weekend, then really you just need to be a bit more patient. I can understand not wanting to go and get a campsite early in the week, but they are going to be changing that for next year according to what they announced. And as far as generators running all day and night, no one is around hardly during the day cause they're gone fishing. And most guys shut down everything by 9-10 at night so I'm not sure how that is bothering anyone. If your in a trailer your hardly going to hear it. I was in a tent I it never bothered me any. Most guys have nice quiet Honda or equivalent genny's anyway, so its really not that loud...

Ukrainankiller
06-25-2013, 11:49 AM
Have to laugh at how these tournament guys think their way more ethical and better fisherman then us average everyday angler. It's not the fact that we don't want to share the lake it's the fact it's on a draw system to keep walleye. Don't say you guys don't kill fish when you do. It just seems hypocritical that they allow derbies on a critical lake.

Hunter Trav
06-25-2013, 12:03 PM
Have to laugh at how these tournament guys think their way more ethical and better fisherman then us average everyday angler. It's not the fact that we don't want to share the lake it's the fact it's on a draw system to keep walleye. Don't say you guys don't kill fish when you do. It just seems hypocritical that they allow derbies on a critical lake.

Actually we said that mortality rates were quite low. There will always be the odd fish that doesn't make it due to certain circumstances. But it goes against the guys who don't look after their fish, which could cause them to lose out big time. There is nothing to lose for the everyday angler that doesn't take proper care in handling a fish, cause the chances of there being a F&W officer there when it happens is slim to none. Also, the fact that you can get tags for the lake says to me that it isn't as critical as they make it out to be. Personally I believe the SRD uses it as an excuse for a cash grab tag system they have created. If it was really bad, it would just be a zero limit...

Salavee
06-25-2013, 12:03 PM

Immediate mortality is obvious but delayed mortality has yet to be quantified and documented. There have been a couple of these disasters in years gone by as a result of tournaments.. Lesser Slave comes to mind. Anybody who questions the fact that delayed mortality is a negative factor with any live-release protocol should re-think the whole live -release scenario. Ten percent mortality is certainly in the ball park, and natural bait ( live leeches in particular) and deeper water are the biggest contributors. IMHO, there are also better ways to conduct a Walleye Tournament other than live weigh-in. For some strange reason fish don't enjoy boat rides ..especially in rough water.
Tournaments are great fun but a massive influx of anglers hitting a particular waterbody for a day or two of intensive Walleye fishing is gonna negatively impact the population ..even if the Walleye population is healthy.
Been there, Done that and would sure like to see some additional changes regarding Tournament licensing on all our lakes.

huntsfurfish
06-25-2013, 12:09 PM

So you really don't want to share:)

uk we(tournament anglers) are just anglers too.

You are fishing for "fun" so are we!

Walleyedude
06-25-2013, 12:16 PM
First of all Walleyedude if you look at my first post you will see that I'm not against the Pinehurst tournament per say. I would only like it moved because the facilities there are terrible for a tournament of this size and caliber. If they put in an extra boat launch, more bathrooms, a parking area, large field for meeting tents etc. I would not have a problem with it.
I only said I could understand how others might feel ripped off given that the tags issued are significantly lower even though they have a much higher priority in the system than tournaments. If you would like to change it have the government give tournaments a level 3 priority and the general public a 5 officially (as that is what appears to be in fact happening here) I would not care as long as the changes that have been made recently i.e. cold water period etc remain in effect.

I think moving the tournament to a lake that has more facilities and extra quota like Pigeon would be a good idea. You have a few thousand under subscribed licences available every year that could be easily displaced by the tournament caused fish deaths. There is multiple boat launches at the lake there is large staging area's in the communities there etc. It would be a win win with no perceived hypocrisy.

as to some of your other comments.

Even you would have to admit holding a tournament on a lake classified as collapsed or vulnerable could look bad in the general public’s eyes. Therefore perhaps you and the tournament guys could lobby to have it a non tag lake. I certainly think Pinehurst could with stand the pressure for the reasons I have already stated back in my post refering to Moose Lake.

If Pinehurst had better facilities ie. a place the public could easily launch on tournament days, more bathrooms, camping spots reserved for the public etc. I would love to come down and watch the tournament. I think I would learn allot and become a better fisherman to boot. Perhaps the Pinehurst tournament could be moved to Lac La biche which has much better facilities when it recovers a bit better.:)

I don't think you can turn it around. I want to go and participate in a tournament, I may gain, I may lose, but I'm just there to enjoy fishing, the same as any other angler on the lake. I have no interest in limiting others access to the lake or their fishing, as long as they follow the rules. That's where those that are anti-tournament and I differ.

As foe Pinehurst being a vulnerable lake, tbe tournament is approved by SRD, and the application process is rigorous, so no, I don't feel it's anything that the tournament anglers should be apologizing for.

If your argument truly boils down to the lack of facilities and you being inconvenienced for a weekend, then you really don't have much of an argument. It's a public lake, with public facilities, and we all have to share. Do like I do during Stampede and get outta dodge lol.

cube
06-25-2013, 12:21 PM
Not sure why you would try and make your wife back a trailer in the lake when all the tourney guys are launching, all you need to do is wait a bit till their done, and you'll have it all to yourself. Launching at a tourney is very organized because it has to be. If you feel the need to go to a lake hosting a tourney on that same weekend, then really you just need to be a bit more patient. I can understand not wanting to go and get a campsite early in the week, but they are going to be changing that for next year according to what they announced. And as far as generators running all day and night, no one is around hardly during the day cause they're gone fishing. And most guys shut down everything by 9-10 at night so I'm not sure how that is bothering anyone. If your in a trailer your hardly going to hear it. I was in a tent I it never bothered me any. Most guys have nice quiet Honda or equivalent genny's anyway, so its really not that loud...

Hunter Trav, if you will, the very start of this thread shows tournaments have a PR problem. Not sure how making the general public have to wait to launch is going to make them feel more warm and fuzzy toward tournaments. While your point of view is the general public is coming to YOUR TOURNAMENT LAKE, their point of view is that you are coming to their lake hence why they may say why can't you wait and be patient while the public launches their boats at prime time. Again a warm and fuzzy issue. As for the generators comment it was not specifically aimed at tournament participants. I have been their many many times only to hear no less than 10 generators running, just in our loop! Believe it or not I don't go to a Provincial Park by a lake to hear gas engines running all day, so while I don't really like the idea of the expanded camping necessarily the one upside I could find was people in general no longer feeling the need to run their generators while I sit quietly by my fire etc. (Not everybody has a Honda or is considerate with its use)

Have a great season.

huntsfurfish
06-25-2013, 12:32 PM
I don't think you can turn it around. I want to go and participate in a tournament, I may gain, I may lose, but I'm just there to enjoy fishing, the same as any other angler on the lake. I have no interest in limiting others access to the lake or their fishing, as long as they follow the rules. That's where those that are anti-tournament and I differ.

As foe Pinehurst being a vulnerable lake, tbe tournament is approved by SRD, and the application process is rigorous, so no, I don't feel it's anything that the tournament anglers should be apologizing for.

If your argument truly boils down to the lack of facilities and you being inconvenienced for a weekend, then you really don't have much of an argument. It's a public lake, with public facilities, and we all have to share. Do like I do during Stampede and get outta dodge lol.

agree

Hunter Trav
06-25-2013, 01:07 PM
Hunter Trav, if you will, the very start of this thread shows tournaments have a PR problem. Not sure how making the general public have to wait to launch is going to make them feel more warm and fuzzy toward tournaments. While your point of view is the general public is coming to YOUR TOURNAMENT LAKE, their point of view is that you are coming to their lake hence why they may say why can't you wait and be patient while the public launches their boats at prime time. Again a warm and fuzzy issue. As for the generators comment it was not specifically aimed at tournament participants. I have been their many many times only to hear no less than 10 generators running, just in our loop! Believe it or not I don't go to a Provincial Park by a lake to hear gas engines running all day, so while I don't really like the idea of the expanded camping necessarily the one upside I could find was people in general no longer feeling the need to run their generators while I sit quietly by my fire etc. (Not everybody has a Honda or is considerate with its use)

Have a great season.

So really what your saying is no one should be allowed to go to a provincial campsite unless they are quiet and don't get in your way at the launch. Unfortunately that probably won't happen, so why not find an out of the way lake to go and enjoy your quiet time at. Its not that hard to do, even in Alberta...

Ukrainankiller
06-26-2013, 07:09 AM
So really what your saying is no one should be allowed to go to a provincial campsite unless they are quiet and don't get in your way at the launch. Unfortunately that probably won't happen, so why not find an out of the way lake to go and enjoy your quiet time at. Its not that hard to do, even in Alberta...

Hunter Trav. You say if a fish dies the team either losses weight or is disqualified. Why don't they have to pay a huge fine and risk loseing their Liscence and maybe a court date like the rest of us. Or do guys get suspended for fishing in the next derby or get suspended from the tour. Just asking.

cube
06-26-2013, 09:45 AM
While I'm sure many will feel I'm delusional in saying this here, here goes.

So really what your saying is no one should be allowed to go to a provincial campsite unless they are quiet I do indeed think that people who are going to a shared space should be respectful and that would include being reasonably quiet and don't get in your way at the launch Yes I happen to believe no one entity should be able to block the only boat launch on a lake for hours a day. Unfortunately that probably won't happen, so why not find an out of the way lake to go and enjoy your quiet time at. Its not that hard to do, even in Alberta...Fact is, or perhaps rather was, Pinehurst was such a place and, hence, why I feel that a tournament of this size, caliber, and prestige could be perhaps better located.

Have a great season

Walleyedude
06-26-2013, 10:00 AM
Hunter Trav. You say if a fish dies the team either losses weight or is disqualified. Why don't they have to pay a huge fine and risk loseing their Liscence and maybe a court date like the rest of us. Or do guys get suspended for fishing in the next derby or get suspended from the tour. Just asking.

Do you get charged and have to go to court or pay a huge fine if while in the process of catching and releasing a fish, it doesn't survive? No, you don't, unless you try and keep that fish for the table. So why should someone be charged because they're fishing in a tournament? If anything the tournament angler already pays a far harsher price than the average angler as they lose their weight or get disqualified for doing something the average angler can do without consequences.

Hunter Trav
06-26-2013, 10:01 AM
I say, just don't go to Pinehurst on the weekend they are having the tourney. I'm not sure why anyone would insist on going at that time anyways other than to participate in the tourney itself...

Hunter Trav
06-26-2013, 10:02 AM
Do you get charged and have to go to court or pay a huge fine if while in the process of catching and releasing a fish, it doesn't survive? No, you don't, unless you try and keep that fish for the table. So why should someone be charged because they're fishing in a tournament? If anything the tournament angler already pays a far harsher price than the average angler as they lose their weight or get disqualified for doing something the average angler can do without consequences.

Not to mention the fact that they pay a $600 entry fee on top of their fuel, camping fee and everything else. No chance of getting it back if your not extra careful in how you handle your fish...

Walleyedude
06-26-2013, 10:05 AM
While I'm sure many will feel I'm delusional in saying this here, here goes.

Have a great season

I don't think it's delusional at all. I'd like to think that most people try to be respectful.

However, I also think that goes both ways, others can be respectful and courteous to the tournament guys that only ask for a couple hours a day for one weekend a year. It really isn't a huge inconvenience to anyone.

cube
06-26-2013, 12:20 PM
I don't think you can turn it around. I want to go and participate in a tournament, I may gain, I may lose, but I'm just there to enjoy fishing, the same as any other angler on the lake. Actually that’s not true according to the regs, as soon as money is on the table it says you are not just there to enjoy the fishing and, hence, you require a tournament licence. I have no interest in limiting others access to the lake or their fishing, as long as they follow the rules. That's where those that are anti-tournament and I differ.

As foe Pinehurst being a vulnerable lake, tbe tournament is approved by SRD, and the application process is rigorous, so no, I don't feel it's anything that the tournament anglers should be apologizing for. Did not say I wanted an apology, what I said was it has bad optics for the sport of tournament fishing.

If your argument truly boils down to the lack of facilities and you being inconvenienced for a weekend, then you really don't have much of an argument. Given that Pinehurst is the ONLY tournament on the WCWT that does not have multiple campgrounds, multiple launches, no tags etc. it would seem others must think I have a valid point. It's a public lake, with public facilities, and we all have to share. Do like I do during Stampede and get outta dodge lol.

cube
06-26-2013, 12:35 PM
I say, just don't go to Pinehurst on the weekend they are having the tourney. I'm not sure why anyone would insist on going at that time anyways other than to participate in the tourney itself...

Did you ever think that not everyone in this province is aware of your tournament dates, so could be there believing they were there to have a quiet week of vacation with the family?

cube
06-26-2013, 12:40 PM
I don't think it's delusional at all. I'd like to think that most people try to be respectful.

However, I also think that goes both ways, others can be respectful and courteous to the tournament guys that only ask for a couple hours a day for one weekend a year. It really isn't a huge inconvenience to anyone.

I just want to understand this for a second. If I showed up with a bunch of my friends and blocked the only launch at a lake, where you were with your family, for a few hours a day for multiple days at prime time you would not feel inconvenienced. Fact is I think you would indeed feel inconvenienced and I further think that most other people would as well. Hence my point about the location.

Have a Great Season Walleyedude.

Hunter Trav
06-26-2013, 02:02 PM
I just want to understand this for a second. If I showed up with a bunch of my friends and blocked the only launch at a lake, where you were with your family, for a few hours a day for multiple days at prime time you would not feel inconvenienced. Fact is I think you would indeed feel inconvenienced and I further think that most other people would as well. Hence my point about the location.

If you were one guy tying up a launch for a few hours I'd pull you out of your truck and launch your boat for you so you could get out of the way...:rolleye2:

Seriously though, to me it sounds like your just trolling for an argument, and quite honestly I'm done reading your petty reasons against this tourney. If you were inconvenienced by it and thats the reason for your arguing, too bad, should've just drove down the road to another lake and made the best of it...

Walleyedude
06-26-2013, 02:18 PM

Of course it's an inconvenience. All things considered, I don't feel it's a particularly big one, but it is an inconvenience.

I stand around waiting for people to launch their boats all the time. I wait in traffic for hours sometimes trying to get home from work. There are endless things in the world that I don't necessarily like and that inconvenience me. I don't like it, but I deal with it because I understand that others have different interests than I do and they have the same rights as I do. I try to live and let live. Rather than complain about it or try to impose my will on others, I try to just find alternatives for myself and make the best of it.

Tournament anglers seems to get a bad rap, and they certainly are forced to take a back seat to everyone else out there for some reason, I guess because there's money involved, but I can tell you this, if it was really about the money, there would be no tournament fishing in AB or SK. It's about the fishing and the competition.

huntsfurfish
06-26-2013, 02:24 PM
Of course it's an inconvenience. All things considered, I don't feel it's a particularly big one, but it is an inconvenience.

I stand around waiting for people to launch their boats all the time. I wait in traffic for hours sometimes trying to get home from work. There are endless things in the world that I don't necessarily like and that inconvenience me. I don't like it, but I deal with it because I understand that others have different interests than I do and they have the same rights as I do. I try to live and let live. Rather than complain about it or try to impose my will on others, I try to just find alternatives for myself and make the best of it.

Tournament anglers seems to get a bad rap, and they certainly are forced to take a back seat to everyone else out there for some reason, I guess because there's money involved, but I can tell you this, if it was really about the money, there would be no tournament fishing in AB or SK. It's about the fishing and the competition.

Well said!

Dirt2oil
06-26-2013, 02:32 PM
[QUOTE=Hunter Trav;2019540]If you were one guy tying up a launch for a few hours I'd pull you out of your truck and launch your boat for you so you could get out of the way"

There's some comedy! "Pull you out of your truck" I'm sure there would be some knuckle chuckin if someone were to actually try this at the launch
:snapoutofit:

cube
06-26-2013, 02:45 PM
Of course it's an inconvenience.

Glad we agree. Have a Great season.

Ukrainankiller
06-26-2013, 03:04 PM

How are you paying a far harsher price then the average angler. Your the one entering the tournament knowing the consequences. That's a risk you are willing to take so don't say you pay a far harsher price.

huntsfurfish
06-26-2013, 03:09 PM
How are you paying a far harsher price then the average angler. Your the one entering the tournament knowing the consequences. That's a risk you are willing to take so don't say you pay a far harsher price.

Its fun and its fishing:)

Some people like to compete, some don't. But its still fishing.

Pixel Shooter
06-26-2013, 03:25 PM
post 100, think we have beat this one to death