PDA

View Full Version : Frozen sholder

LBB
06-24-2013, 09:48 PM
I am just as excited about this bow season as they many other ones I've enjoyed in the past years. Just one problem I have a frozen left sholder(RH shooter) . The Dr I seen today said be patient 94% will remeady themselves but could take many months possible years. I am thinking I might be able to shoot light recurve or see about dr note for crossbow if I can't handle the recurve. Any members have any thoughts or ideas or been through similar challenges.

russ
06-24-2013, 09:51 PM
Define "frozen shoulder" that could mean many things... Torn rotator cuff? Now that's a big deal.

Donkey Oatey
06-24-2013, 09:54 PM
My Mother had frozen shoulder in both shoulders. Luckily it was one at a time. Took over a year each to recover. Tried medication, rehab, supplement whatever to try to fix it. Just took time, hasn't come back in over 8yrs.

LBB
06-24-2013, 10:10 PM
Define "frozen shoulder" that could mean many things... Torn rotator cuff? Now that's a big deal.

Frozen sholder is a medical term for adhesive capsulitis, don't know if I can explain it correctly, but here goes, the sholder socket scars up and builds tissue that connects both moving parts and won't allow normal if any movement and is also painfull.

LBB
06-24-2013, 10:24 PM
Frozen sholder is a medical term for adhesive capsulitis, don't know if I can explain it correctly, but here goes, the sholder socket scars up and builds tissue that connects both moving parts and won't allow normal if any movement and is also painfull.

My frozen sholder started with a partially torn tendon, after a fall last nov. I have been working real hard on educating myself, and also been to phiso app 3x a week since feb plus a lot of home stretches etc.

C.Noble
06-24-2013, 10:28 PM
When I had shoulder issues I was told to walk my hand slowly up a wall, in front of you, behind you and beside you. Another one to do is hold an exercise band in one hand behind your back and pull it up with the other. Might sound weird, if you need more explanation pm me.

Sputnik
06-24-2013, 10:29 PM
I feel for you.

Been there myself, one of the most painful things I've ever had to endure. Went to Physio for several weeks and told the therapist he could not hurt me so go for it.....I don't suggest challenging a physio therapist by the way, I was wrong they can make you cry if they really want to.:scared0015:.

But it did help me, about 6 months and a lot of pain, but it got better. If you go to the doctor or therapist do exactly as they suggest including the exercises and taking meds, even tried acupuncture.

Good luck.

LBB
06-24-2013, 10:39 PM
My Mother had frozen shoulder in both shoulders. Luckily it was one at a time. Took over a year each to recover. Tried medication, rehab, supplement whatever to try to fix it. Just took time, hasn't come back in over 8yrs.

Thanks for the reply, I am very glad that your mother healed, its a day to day struggle to find ways to improve the condition. One thing I did learn that it effects a lot more women than men. Hope it's the only feminine traits I produce. Lol

LBB
06-24-2013, 10:49 PM
When I had shoulder issues I was told to walk my hand slowly up a wall, in front of you, behind you and beside you. Another one to do is hold an exercise band in one hand behind your back and pull it up with the other. Might sound weird, if you need more explanation pm me.

Thanks , I've have actually been doing both those stretches walking my fingers up the wall seems to help, I have really struggled to get my shoulder to allow my arm to get around to the small of my back then pull up with other arm. Therapist said behind the back movement is one of the toughest to do. Thanks again for the ideas.

LBB
06-24-2013, 10:59 PM
I feel for you.

Been there myself, one of the most painful things I've ever had to endure. Went to Physio for several weeks and told the therapist he could not hurt me so go for it.....I don't suggest challenging a physio therapist by the way, I was wrong they can make you cry if they really want to.:scared0015:.

But it did help me, about 6 months and a lot of pain, but it got better. If you go to the doctor or therapist do exactly as they suggest including the exercises and taking meds, even tried acupuncture.

Good luck.

Thank you, I have been improving, but lately it's been very slow. So today after the Dr saying it could be many more months, I hope not to lose the bow season. I think I will try a lite recurve if it doesn't aggravate the condition, or make it worse, did u try any shooting?

Sputnik
06-24-2013, 11:44 PM
It was my right shoulder and I am righthanded. I could not draw a bow to the anchor point because of weakness and lack of flexibility.

A buddy and I went pistol shooting, he thought I was kidding about the pain because I was drawing so slowly from my hip holster, and said the recoil was killing me, not to mention trying to hold the pistol at arms length.

He knew I was in pain but just did not believe how much, I only got about 1 magazine done and I quit.

Then he had shoulder surgery, he has never stopped apologizing!

LBB
06-25-2013, 10:32 AM
It was my right shoulder and I am righthanded. I could not draw a bow to the anchor point because of weakness and lack of flexibility.

A buddy and I went pistol shooting, he thought I was kidding about the pain because I was drawing so slowly from my hip holster, and said the recoil was killing me, not to mention trying to hold the pistol at arms length.

He knew I was in pain but just did not believe how much, I only got about 1 magazine done and I quit.

Then he had shoulder surgery, he has never stopped apologizing!

Do you have all your strength and flexibility back?

I think it's hard for anyone that hasn't had to experience the frustration,to realize how hard it might be just to put a shirt on, and other daily routines we take for granted when healthy.

I am lucky in that its my left shoulder and its improved enough that I think I can stand the physical weight of a recurve, don't know if I can draw one yet. When I try I will post results.

L.O.S.T.Arrow
06-25-2013, 10:39 AM
:D Just for everyones Info...

I had two shooters come in one was 82 years old ...had Arthritis so bad he couldnt draw the mininum draw at 40 lbs..and shook extremely bad!!

The other a man in his 40's with MS also shook badly and also could not draw the mininum 40 lbs...even so he bought a compound bow and tried to build up to the 40 lbs...six months later he had to give up...

Both however could shoot an crossbow very effectivitly...and bought crossbows on their own decision...I wrote a printed statement explaining their situations...and my opionion that they absolutely could not draw mininum weight and even if so they wouldnt be able to shoot effectictly and safely...due to their disabilities

They then both went to their own reputable medical doctors and also got sworn statements from the medical Doctors...

They then both went to Fish and Wildlife [seperate as both cases were seperate] in person and both were TURNED down!!!

According to the wisdom of F&W a person with a disability is one with litterly misiing limbs...and that was the only disibilities that they would allow a crossbow in bow season...

I contacted head office in Edmonton and was told basically the exact same thing..

One female F&W officer even went so far as too give me a blast of crap saying I was missinforming these gentlemen by selling just to sell them Crossbows...which was their own descion, However I did state In my humble Opionion they would diefinatly be permantly disabled for shooting a legal Bow accurately and safely...

So just a warning if you have a temporay disablility or even a permanant disibility that isnt a missing limb...odds are you will NOT get a crossbow licence in bow season.

JMHO
Neil

sakogreywolf
06-25-2013, 11:07 AM
I know someone who is in the same shape as the two fellows you have described. He is not missing a limb, but he cannot pull a bow back. He has received a permit to hunt with a cross bow. It took him a few years to receive the permit and was turned down once for sure....if not several times, but he did finally get the permit.

Obviously it is VERY hard to get the permit; but it seems that it can be done.

C Taylor
06-25-2013, 05:05 PM
Lazer therapy works wonders on torn legimants. I've had trouble with both shoulders, accupucture and massage really helped as well. Doctors an physio therapy didn't help much at all.

L.O.S.T.Arrow
06-25-2013, 05:23 PM
:D ..Just found out new to me info on Crossbow hunting in archery season for disabilities ..

good stuff FYI
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=182982

Neil

LBB
06-25-2013, 06:24 PM
:D ..Just found out new to me info on Crossbow hunting in archery season for disabilities ..

good stuff FYI
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=182982

Neil

Thanks for digging up the information. I would prefer to hunt with my compound, at this point I am having trouble holding it up at arms length. Second choice would be recurve, wasn't able to get it strung with this bum sholder. If the shoulder dosn't improve a lot my only option might be trying for Xbox permit. I understand the need to qualify, but a person should have the ability to archery hunt every year, on a year to year basis by providing proof of disability which does not allow u to pull a bow.

sakogreywolf
06-25-2013, 07:24 PM
I understand the need to qualify, but a person should have the ability to archery hunt every year, on a year to year basis by providing proof of disability which does not allow u to pull a bow.

:thinking-006: That may lead to a little abuse.

buckman
07-09-2013, 08:19 AM
After months turned into years my shoulder pain which included Rheumatoid Arthritis ended my bow hunting.

I could only shoot a few arrows before the pain became unbearable.

Then I applied for a crossbow permit. For those of you that think it gives you an edge...perhaps a little given that you can choose to use a scope.

However accuracy with my compound when I could shoot it was very comparable to my crossbow, as was the effective killing range.

For those of you that have the same issues it may be an option.