PDA

View Full Version : Perch in the bow or trout in carburn park?

slough shark
06-24-2013, 11:52 PM
I drove past Carburn park this evening and one of the ponds (the 3rd one) had the bow running right through it. There was perch and pike in there, I know there is already some pike in the river and I suspect this could add a few more into the mix but would perch be able to survive in the bow? Conversely I wonder if there will be trout in lake now? I didn't see if the flood waters made it into the other 2 lakes so if anyone could shed light on that could be interesting.

DiabeticKripple
06-24-2013, 11:53 PM
I drove past Carburn park this evening and one of the ponds (the 3rd one) had the bow running right through it. There was perch and pike in there, I know there is already some pike in the river and I suspect this could add a few more into the mix but would perch be able to survive in the bow? Conversely I wonder if there will be trout in lake now? I didn't see if the flood waters made it into the other 2 lakes so if anyone could shed light on that could be interesting.

The 3rd pond is always connected to the bow so it's nothing to worry about. There's a spot on the bank where it allows water to flow between the two systems.

slough shark
06-24-2013, 11:59 PM
The third pond was always connected with a small trickle but with current running though the whole pond as just a few trees were sticking out on the barrier there ought to be significant disbursements and changes to the pond and perhaps the river with perch.

fish gunner
06-25-2013, 12:04 AM
Oh you guys the pond closest to the bridge (glenmore) was not always connected to the bow it got connected last time the bow looked this way 05 . Perch have been in the bow since at least then . I suggest with the brown and lakers making up a fair portion of the trout population the perch fall way down the food chain .

trainerdave
06-25-2013, 05:44 AM
There are perch in the Glenmore reservoir, so many are washed in to the bow on a fairly regular basis. This year being obviously extreme. Yellow perch don't do well in the Bow river but many are diverted through irrigation and flooding to areas where they thrive....

Kokanee9
06-25-2013, 07:00 AM

I didn't see the middle one, but first and third were definitely covered. The third one is visible from Glenmore tr. and it may have become part of the river now. There were a couple rows of large poplars separating it from the river and now 60-70% of those poplars are gone. The remaining ones look like an island in the middle of the current. There is no wave in the current which would indicate that a bank in that area remains.

jacenbeers
06-25-2013, 01:16 PM
In the past I have caught rocky mountain whitefish and a brown trout in the third pond right by where the water from the Bow goes in. I dont think this is going to change much of anything for Carburn other than having some stranded trout and probably no more perch.

Sundancefisher
06-25-2013, 02:23 PM
Holy crap. I hope they don't make their way into Lake Sundance.

Just kidding. Perch have been in the system. The will migrate in the river but not really live there with any significant success.

slough shark
06-25-2013, 11:22 PM
I didn't see the middle one, but first and third were definitely covered. The third one is visible from Glenmore tr. and it may have become part of the river now. There were a couple rows of large poplars separating it from the river and now 60-70% of those poplars are gone. The remaining ones look like an island in the middle of the current. There is no wave in the current which would indicate that a bank in that area remains.

That is interesting about the first lake being covered, I wonder if any trout will make their way into there, I haven't seen anyone fishing there for years, and if the first one was covered there is a fair chance the second one would have taken some water too. Since it winterkilled a few years ago I don't think the fish populations have come back much in the first 2 lakes unless I am mistaken. Yeah that 3rd lake from what I saw is going to be at least fairly connected now rather than just a trickle.

Kokanee9
06-25-2013, 11:56 PM
I was curious about where the water ended up and drove to the entrance of Carburn. Didn't go all the way because City trucks were there and it was still taped off. I did see the high water mark made it about 2' above the parking lot. Beaver Dam Flats was just a rushing torrent and a wooden bridge there had let go on 1 end and had swung 90deg. and was just hanging on at the shore side.

Jprinsen
06-26-2013, 10:10 AM
There is also piranhas from the zoo in the river...

jacenbeers
06-26-2013, 10:12 AM
There is also piranhas from the zoo in the river...

I saw that in the news yesterday. All the pirahna and tilapia that were in the hippo tanks at the Calgary zoo are gone. They won't survive but there might be some stragglers biting Rapalas in the fall.

Lornce
06-26-2013, 06:34 PM
Move slowly when wading, do not pass gas to attract attention.

http://infactcollaborative.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Facts-about-piranha-hungry-piranha.jpg

Pikehunter13
06-26-2013, 07:32 PM
Oh you guys the pond closest to the bridge (glenmore) was not always connected to the bow it got connected last time the bow looked this way 05 . Perch have been in the bow since at least then . I suggest with the brown and lakers making up a fair portion of the trout population the perch fall way down the food chain .

x2

epicangler
08-14-2013, 05:12 PM
probably not the perch dont like rivers

fish gunner
08-14-2013, 05:34 PM
probably not the perch dont like rivers

No perch are fine in rivers. The bow however at Calgary at least is a touch cool and has too many predators that thrive in the cool temps. Many rivers grow monster perch st lawrence st Clair and many others
one in fact I suspect in BC may hold a record.