PDA

View Full Version : Hit in head by jig in crowded fishing spot.

EZM
06-25-2013, 02:53 PM
Here's a story for everyone's amusement.

A few days ago TrophyPikeHunter and I were out at Pigeon filling our "A" walleye tags (purchased under subscribed).

We moved an area I have marked on GPS near the provincial park (a little further down from where the boats usually pile up.

We set up shop and started pounding them while other boats, not far away were not doing quite as well.

I see Joe boat, with his binoculars studying us carefully about a 100 yards off each time there was any activity in our boat. He watched us land a dozen or so, before figuring out we might be "on the spot".

so ........ Joe cool boat, casually trolls up with his wife and two young kids and starts to follow us (I had my electronic drift line set up with two spot locks) just working a 10-12 meter area back and forth. He was continually circling us like "he was a vulture and we were a dizzy bleeding goat near death".

There were a few times, where he lost attention and I had to clear my throat or say something random to TrophyPike in order to warn him of his impending collision course to my relatively stationary boat.

Joe would then scramble and steer his boat way expertly, and on one of these occasions his wife tangled up her line in the motor. It provided some entertainment while we landed walleye after walleye and they just couldn't figure it out.

No big deal, it was a bit weird, definitely a bit close, maybe a bit rude but whatever. They were still not catching anything, and I thought they would eventually move off.

No such luck - so Joe boat begins to expertly cast within feet of my boat.

Ok ...... still puzzled, but whatever, definitely seemed a bit rude and maybe over the line. No big deal.

So, his wife, with significantly less control, starts to do the same.

Looking down at my rod I feel this minnow/jig hit me square in the head, and land with a loud tinny ping, right on my gunnel. The guy turns over to look, to see his wife, immediately embarrassed, violently snag the lure off my gunnel (luckily the hook didn't snag my face) and like a back cast on a fly rod snap her jig like a pro.

She quickly turned away pretending like I wasn't even there.

The guy quickly grabbed his i-pilot remote and steered away.

Expecting a "oooops sorry" or even an acknowledgement ........... after a moment or two - I just said "that's nice".

lol.

I don't know what else to say.

Trophy heard the thump and turned around and I explained what just happened.

lol.

Some people ...........

perchie15
06-25-2013, 03:01 PM
LOL yeah some people you gotta wonder about eh

SCHOOCH
06-25-2013, 03:05 PM
Unbelievable!!!!! I really don't mind people coming close to me with their boats as long as we are not bumping lines or boats, last time out i had a boat get close to us because they saw we were catching Wally one after the other....they had the common sense to actually ask if it was ok if they fished by us and my response was of course (really surprised they actually asked)! My hats off to you EZM for the patience that you showed after getting bonked.....but at least you have a new funny story to share :happy0180:

iamkorean
06-25-2013, 03:06 PM
impressive...
.... ....
to hear that you're calm... (I would not had been so calm)
but you :happy0034: are the man !!!

keep6matt
06-25-2013, 03:09 PM
EZM, you are indeed a good story teller and have a lot more patience than most. You are a true gentleman for holding your composure that way you did...receives the honorary Wiser's gentlemen clap. You are a good dude in my books! Some people are just so rude when it comes to intruding another fisherman's elbow room, the fish are not only in one spot, it leans way more towards what is turning them on,,,speed, presentation etc. So what was the biggest eye you caught if you don't mind me asking? I as well have a couple of A tags to fill at pigeon as well, just curious to know the big one of the day. Thanks for the great thread!

cube
06-25-2013, 03:10 PM
That wasn't the guy you invited to follow you around on Pigeon a couple of days a go was it? I guess the next time you want to be that kind you will have to set some ground rules; like no hiting me in the head with your lure
:)
Come out Saturday and follow my boat around - we will be pounding them like nobody's business ......

Bring a bottom bouncer, some Lindy's and plenty of minnows.

Thanks for the story.

BeeGuy
06-25-2013, 03:20 PM
Wait....what?

No pics?!??!?

Haha, sounds like that couple are a match made in Devon:thinking-006:

Glad to hear only the walleye were hooked.

Beyond ignorant.

cowgirl
06-25-2013, 03:29 PM
You're a kind, patient person EZM! :cool::happy0034:

javlin101
06-25-2013, 03:30 PM
I had a couple of guys in a bass boat loaded to the gonads with electronics at Pinehurst do a similar thing. Found a nice little hole and was jigging and catching Walleye. They were a couple hundred feet away doing their thing but not having a lot of luck. They finally fired up the trolling motor and circled me 2-3 times very slowly and very close. We pulled in our lines and sat there watching them. They would not even look at us just had the eyes glued on the fish finder. After the last circle they fired up the motor and moved on. My friend and I looked at each our, shrugged our shoulders and started catch fish again. I guess they did not find what they were looking for but apparently did not feel they were intruding.

Sad thing with your story is what he is teaching his kids about respecting other peoples space.

Rockjockey
06-25-2013, 03:37 PM
Some peoples children!
Slave lake is always good for at least one close encounter of the moronic kind every year for me. Whether it is ice fishing or open water.
Probably wasn't a barbless hook neither.
People are rude.

DiabeticKripple
06-25-2013, 03:44 PM
Some peoples children!
Slave lake is always good for at least one close encounter of the moronic kind every year for me. Whether it is ice fishing or open water.
Probably wasn't a barbless hook neither.
People are rude.

What does a barb have to do with anything?

I had a boat on Wab on Sunday troll right in front of me when I was catching fish and they weren't. I just did the don cherry and they just looked at me.

keep6matt
06-25-2013, 03:55 PM
Well there was a time when a boat trolled right beside our boat when we were anchored down and jigging up the walleye. And I mean right beside it, so close that one of them caught our anchor, so I said "Here I will get that for you", pulled out my Leatherman and cut his line....they never pulled that stunt again.

MtnGiant
06-25-2013, 04:14 PM
I would like to have seen you do ye ole Cartmen impersonation on them.

Now that would be funny :)

Your patience level is impressive to say the least

58thecat
06-25-2013, 04:21 PM
Barbless...:sHa_sarcasticlol: If the hook had a Barb than maybe after your "tug" back their boat would have been "Barb" less:sHa_sarcasticlol:

pikergolf
06-25-2013, 04:31 PM
Twice I've had boats inside of three ft. from, both times elderly gentlemen. Both times they wanted to see what I was using, the first asked and then wasn't satisfied, I was standing waist deep in waders by the way, I just shock my head. The second, I didn't know what to do, he had an oxygen thing in his nose and seemed a little confused but waited to get a good look at my fly, which he didn't get, I was feeling a little peevish. :evilgrin:

I guess the moral of the story is we all have different personal spaces, but if your close enough to p*** every person you encounter off, I guess your to close.

EZM
06-25-2013, 05:08 PM
EZM, you are indeed a good story teller and have a lot more patience than most. You are a true gentleman for holding your composure that way you did...receives the honorary Wiser's gentlemen clap. You are a good dude in my books! Some people are just so rude when it comes to intruding another fisherman's elbow room, the fish are not only in one spot, it leans way more towards what is turning them on,,,speed, presentation etc. So what was the biggest eye you caught if you don't mind me asking? I as well have a couple of A tags to fill at pigeon as well, just curious to know the big one of the day. Thanks for the great thread!

Thanks .....

Between the two of us - We didn't catch anything huge but tagged 4 ranging from a safe 53 cm up to I'd say almost 58 cm for the biggest one.

Quite a few in the "just over) 50 to about 52cm range we threw back - very few smaller ones (maybe a dozen or so) and then, of course after the tags were snapped on and the walleyes were in the cooler a few slightly bigger ones - maybe 60-62 ish or so. lol.

Those bigger ones will still be there for you.

Minnow and jig - 20 feet of water - drift and anchor was the ticket - just enough movement seemed to trigger strikes.

Did well on a bouncer with a walleye delight as well.

EZM
06-25-2013, 05:08 PM
That wasn't the guy you invited to follow you around on Pigeon a couple of days a go was it? I guess the next time you want to be that kind you will have to set some ground rules; like no hiting me in the head with your lure
:)

Thanks for the story.

lol ............ maybe .............. lol ...........

Kokanee9
06-25-2013, 11:11 PM
I have often thought of hooking up an extra bilge pump and hose in the boat, for people like that. If they get that close, just hit the switch!

OneGirlWolfPack
06-26-2013, 12:19 AM
LMAO! Sorry but that was hilarious! Glad you didn't get hurt. I'm just picturing you standing there as the jig bounces off your face and she tries to play it cool. Hahaha! You definitely have the patience of a saint.

ELECTRIC FISHER
06-26-2013, 11:23 AM
Just like going down to the NSR!
I can walk down from the parking lot and have no one next to me but in the time it takes for me to setup there is 5 people on either side of me and no room left for my line.
I have had times where they just cast right over me just to **** me off so I move.
There is no respect left for the personal space of a fisherman.

huntsfurfish
06-26-2013, 02:21 PM
wow what patience!

I might have been ok till the shot to the head with the jig. At that point I would have had to say something.:)

Pudelpointer
06-26-2013, 03:30 PM
What? You were expecting me to apologize for my wife's crappy casting? Get real buddy!

J/K. I am always amazed by the swarming instinct that many (most) human beings seem to have. When I see people catching fish, I usually move even farther away from them.... mostly because I can't stand to watch people "kill & release".

I agree with everyone else: Dude, you have more patience than I.

TheRealDeal
06-26-2013, 03:49 PM
Fishing rods should be registered.

Jamie Black R/T
06-26-2013, 04:12 PM
Dude, you have more patience than I.

x100

im not a hot head by any means....but im not sure i could have remained calm in your shoes.

sad to think of the example set for the two young kids they had out with them....but at least they are out fishing right?....better than sitting in front of a tv pretending to shoot people.

Sooner
06-26-2013, 08:12 PM
Many moons ago on Graham lake on a May long weekend we had a similar thing happen. In my 12 ft alum, catching walleye after walleye out buy the Vanderstine river mouth. All the boats were near the mouth, we were off a couple 100 yrds from the pack and nailing fish. Here comes joe in a 16 ft ski boat, slowly creeping up. They couldn't catch a fish to save their life. Nothing special with us, jig and a minnow. By now there are a few around us but not too crowded and joe weaves in between us and another boat and drops anchor. He was under 2 feet away when the wind blew him over our way. He couldn't have cared less.

rocpilefsj
06-26-2013, 10:38 PM
I was at twin lakes with my five year old son, had a guy in a belly boat come right through where we had our bobbers (within a foot) while the whole lake is empty. I wanted to say something but held my cool with the boy beside me. The guy he did it to a ways down from me let him have it though. Then a guy on the dock gave him **** for keeping a little rainbow that had to be 6" long... I guess common sense and fishing etiquette escape certain people.

MrDave
06-29-2013, 08:27 AM
Except that idiot would laughed. Honest.

Was fishing at the bottom of the dam at Forestburg with my brother. SN older fellow walks down and makes small talk. He finds out what we are catching and puts on a large spoon. Second cast, he puts 2 barbs into my brother. Right behind the ear. Reason we were out fishing...we were celebrating Steve's discovery that he DIDN'T have AIDS. Good thing,otherwise I would have made him wait for a doctor.

Wild&Free
06-29-2013, 09:38 AM
I would of said thank you to her for the wake up call.

Only similar event that happened to me was I had a boat pull into a hole I was fishing on the Bulkley river. Now it was a 5km walk to the hole for a bank maggot like myself and a 10 minute ride down river for the boat from the launch, with plenty of other holes up and down stream that are inaccessible from shore. The boat drops a bow and stern anchor at the top of the run, doesn't catch and drifts over the entire hole, somehow one of his anchors caught my rig, which I never noticed till he pulled anchor and burnt up to the top of the hole again, snapping my line. He then drops both anchors and drifts without catching the entire run AGAIN. His anchors finally managed to find a hold on his third pass so, I put on a 6oz pyramid weight on my new rig (2oz was required to hold) bounced it off his hull and pulled a spring out from under him.

Turns out I worked with the guy, we laughed about it when I saw him at the mill a week later. Though, if I never hooked a fish it might have been a different conversation we had.

Master_Baitcaster
06-29-2013, 11:09 AM
Fishing rods should be registered.

hahaahha :sHa_shakeshout::angry3: